Forwarded minutes and #MIN

I have a friend who lives a long distance call away from my home
phone, but my VZW cell is local to both exchanges. So when we want to
speak (and so I don't have to hold my Kyo-3035 to my head with it
getting hotter and hotter), he sends me an e-mail, I CF my cell to my
home, he calls my cell, we talk landline to landline, and then I turn
off CF. It has always worked fine, I have no issues with it.

But, as we usually only speak for 20-30 minutes (and almost always
during off peak hours), I've never really paid much attention to
whether the minutes used show up when using #MIN. Last Friday night,
he had some computer problems I was helping him with, and we spent
about 3 1/2 hours (all off-peak) on the phone. I did a #MIN today and
it's only showing the minutes I actually used *on* my cell (Pk 41, Off
Pk 29). The forwarded minutes aren't included. Is this normal? I
thought forwarded minutes were counted as though you used your cell,
be they free minutes or not.

Is there some screwup in VZW's billing system that would allow you to
use CF to circumvent long distance *and* cell charges in this way?
20 answers Last reply
More about forwarded minutes

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:06:20 -0400, Matt <spammers@are.bad.com> wrote:

    >I'm guessing it probably just hasn't showed up.... give it 48 hours...

    It's been more than five days already. I had a native VZW digital
    signal, so it's not like they have to wait for the info to come in
    from one of their roaming partners. The web site shows the same MOU,
    so I'm thinking it may have something to do with it being off peak
    hours. I'll experiment with doing it during peak hours today or
    tomorrow.

    My VZW phone is in the 303 area code and I forward my calls most of the time
    (the reception isn't stellar where I live). I have been doing this for about
    a year and have NEVER had any minutes show up on the bill for the
    forwarding. I am forwarding to a number that is local (also a 303) to my
    phone so I am not sure if this has something to do with it not showing up.
    Talk about an awesome perk, free forwarding!!

    Steve

    Luchini wrote:
    > My VZW phone is in the 303 area code and I forward my calls most of the time
    > (the reception isn't stellar where I live). I have been doing this for about
    > a year and have NEVER had any minutes show up on the bill for the
    > forwarding. I am forwarding to a number that is local (also a 303) to my
    > phone so I am not sure if this has something to do with it not showing up.
    > Talk about an awesome perk, free forwarding!!

    It's not free. It uses minutes. In some markets it didn't but they used to
    charge 15c/minute on forwarded calls, but all markets are supposed to be
    standardized and only use airtime now.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:45:51 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Luchini wrote:
    >> My VZW phone is in the 303 area code and I forward my calls most of the time
    >> (the reception isn't stellar where I live). I have been doing this for about
    >> a year and have NEVER had any minutes show up on the bill for the
    >> forwarding. I am forwarding to a number that is local (also a 303) to my
    >> phone so I am not sure if this has something to do with it not showing up.
    >> Talk about an awesome perk, free forwarding!!
    >
    >It's not free. It uses minutes. In some markets it didn't but they used to
    >charge 15c/minute on forwarded calls, but all markets are supposed to be
    >standardized and only use airtime now.

    So why didn't those minutes show up in my off peak bucket?

    The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

    > So why didn't those minutes show up in my off peak bucket?

    Don't know. Maybe things have changed.

    I've seen forwarded calls listed on my VZW bills specifically as forwarded
    calls.

    --

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 14:05:19 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
    >
    >> So why didn't those minutes show up in my off peak bucket?
    >
    >Don't know. Maybe things have changed.
    >
    >I've seen forwarded calls listed on my VZW bills specifically as forwarded
    >calls.

    I'll have to have my friend call me on Tuesday and see how that works
    out. I'll report back here with the results, especially if VZW left
    that big of a loophole open.

    last month i started to forward calls from 1 of my vzw phones to another and
    allowing the call to go to voice mail (just easier to call 1 vm rather than
    2)

    anyways i was charged mins (from my anytime mins - not my mob to mob min's )
    on both phones!
    on the website i found vzw's explanation and they can do it i didn't keep
    the url

    i hate this company
    counting the days till my contract is over

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 03:11:34 GMT, "prk60091" <prk60091@sbcglobal.net>
    wrote:

    >anyways i was charged mins (from my anytime mins - not my mob to mob min's )
    >on both phones!

    Right, because you weren't using M2M minutes, unless a VZW phone was
    calling. The M2M info is derived from the Caller ID info (which is
    forwarded along when you CF), so whatever phone initiates the call is
    what they base the charges on. If it's not a VZW phone calling, it's
    not M2M.

    It would be intersting to see the results of testing it with a VZW
    phone initiating the call with CF activated.

    The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 03:11:34 GMT, "prk60091" <prk60091@sbcglobal.net>
    > wrote:
    > Right, because you weren't using M2M minutes, unless a VZW phone was
    > calling. The M2M info is derived from the Caller ID info (which is
    > forwarded along when you CF), so whatever phone initiates the call is
    > what they base the charges on. If it's not a VZW phone calling, it's
    > not M2M.

    On a permutation of this, when I have my landline forwarded to my VZW
    phone, calls from a VZW phone to my landline show up as M2M on my VZW
    phone (CID says caller is a VZW number) and not M2M for the calling
    phone (they called a non-VZW number). By design, CID reflects the
    original caller, not the forwarding phone. And for some unknown reason,
    VZW chose to use the unreliable, spoofable CID for M2M, rather than the
    unspoofable Automatic Number Identification (ANI) that is used for
    billing purposes. In the forwarding case, ANI would show the forwarding
    phone, so that any long distance charges from the forwarding phone to
    the number being forwarded to would be properly assigned to the
    forwarding phone, not the original caller.

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:22:19 -0400, Matt <spammers@are.bad.com> wrote:

    >Ok this thought has been going around in my head... yes it's nasty...
    >but hear me out... if verizon's m2m is based on caller-id.. and if you
    >block your mobile caller-ID they claim m2m may not bill correctly.. and
    >if you call forward as below from one verizon phone to another.. m2m
    >doesn't work... what happens if I use a landline.. set my caller-ID to a
    >cellphone prefix.. or known cell number... does the person I'm calling
    >get billed m2m ?!?!

    If you have the ability to falsify CID info to a known VZW number,
    then yes, my guess is that M2M would apply to the phone called. After
    all, VZW could have used ANI, but instead chose the fastest, least
    expensive way out. My guess is they thought there were too few people
    who could accomplish such a feat for them to worry about.

    Matt wrote:
    > Ok this thought has been going around in my head... yes it's nasty...
    > but hear me out... if verizon's m2m is based on caller-id.. and if you
    > block your mobile caller-ID they claim m2m may not bill correctly.. and
    > if you call forward as below from one verizon phone to another.. m2m
    > doesn't work... what happens if I use a landline.. set my caller-ID to a
    > cellphone prefix.. or known cell number... does the person I'm calling
    > get billed m2m ?!?!

    Blocking doesn't do anything but set a bit in the CID info telling the
    last switch not to send the CID info to the customer's phone. The CID
    info is sent through the network so related features such as call-return
    and selective call blocking will work on "blocked" calls. Which is why I
    can't figure out why they say M2M won't work on CID "blocked" calls;
    their switch has the info regardless of the setting of the "blocked" bit.

    You cannot set the CID on a regular phone line; you have to have a
    special business line like ISDN-PRI to spoof it.

    CharlesH wrote:

    > Blocking doesn't do anything but set a bit in the CID
    > info telling the last switch not to send the CID info to
    > the customer's phone. The CID info is sent through the
    > network so related features such as call-return and
    > selective call blocking will work on "blocked" calls.
    > Which is why I can't figure out why they say M2M won't
    > work on CID "blocked" calls; their switch has the info
    > regardless of the setting of the "blocked" bit.

    I don't believe they say that. At least they did not say
    that in the past. You need to see the actual wording
    to understand how people misinterpret/misunderstand
    it. What they are refering to is switches/partners/networks
    that don't support CID. I expect they are far and few
    inbetween any more. For example you could take your
    VZW phone somewhere you get an old analog signal
    on some mom and pop partner network, call home
    to someone on the familyshare and you don't get
    M2M.

    -Quick

    Matt wrote:
    > Wanna bet? I just set the caller-id on my land-line (I
    > work at an ISP so I've got some spare PRI lines) to be a
    > cell phone... called my cell phone from the landline...
    > and allowed it to sit there for 15 minutes. Then I
    > waited about 15 or 20 minutes for the Verizon billing
    > system to catch up and wala! 15 minutes of
    > mobile2mobile time used on my phone....

    Nice top post when it's already been bottom posted...
    what are you responding to with the "Wanna bet?".

    You have shown that they use CID to determine
    M2M. That comes up every now and again here.

    If there was a switch in between your switch and
    VZW's switch that didn't support CID then it would
    not have been charged as M2M. I think we all agree
    on that and that is what VZW implies in their statements.
    They are saying that even though you could be using
    your VZW cell phone on both ends of a call you may
    not get M2M.

    If you were responding to my reply to the thread then
    do one more test and set the bit to block CID. Still send
    the CID but mark it as blocked. What I'm predicting is that
    you will still see it charged as M2M even though you have
    CID blocking turned on. That is what previous posters
    have misunderstood and what I was replying to.

    Simply blocking CID from your phone does not necessarily
    mean no M2M.

    If the phone/switch does not support CID or some switch
    across the network does not support or does not relay
    CID then no M2M.

    -Quick

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 08:18:15 -0400, Matt <spammers@are.bad.com> wrote:

    >My apologizies.. I personally prefer top-posting as I can always scroll
    >down to see what was talked about.. but it is nice to go through the
    >thread and just be able to read the top instead of having to scroll to
    >the bottom of every message..

    That's only because many people are just too lazy to excise stuff in
    the reply that isn't really important. MicroSloth made sure it was
    easy to just dump the entire previous text back at someone rather than
    clip what you don't need.
    - -

    Quick wrote:
    > CharlesH wrote:
    >
    >>Blocking doesn't do anything but set a bit in the CID
    >>info telling the last switch not to send the CID info to
    >>the customer's phone. The CID info is sent through the
    >>network so related features such as call-return and
    >>selective call blocking will work on "blocked" calls.
    >>Which is why I can't figure out why they say M2M won't
    >>work on CID "blocked" calls; their switch has the info
    >>regardless of the setting of the "blocked" bit.
    >
    > I don't believe they say that. At least they did not say
    > that in the past. You need to see the actual wording
    > to understand how people misinterpret/misunderstand
    > it. What they are refering to is switches/partners/networks
    > that don't support CID. I expect they are far and few
    > inbetween any more. For example you could take your
    > VZW phone somewhere you get an old analog signal
    > on some mom and pop partner network, call home
    > to someone on the familyshare and you don't get M2M.

    Quote from the VZW Web page describing the America Choice plan:

    "If Caller ID is not present or Caller ID Block is initiated, National
    IN Calling does not apply to incoming calls and will apply to outgoing
    calls only."

    The "Caller ID is not present" refers to lame switches dropping the CID
    info somewhere along the way, as you point out. What can "Caller ID
    Block is initiated" mean other than caller-initiated caller id blocking
    (either *67 or setting it as the default on the line)?

    CharlesH wrote:
    > Quick wrote:
    >> CharlesH wrote:
    >>
    >>> Blocking doesn't do anything but set a bit in the CID
    >>> info telling the last switch not to send the CID info to
    >>> the customer's phone. The CID info is sent through the
    >>> network so related features such as call-return and
    >>> selective call blocking will work on "blocked" calls.
    >>> Which is why I can't figure out why they say M2M won't
    >>> work on CID "blocked" calls; their switch has the info
    >>> regardless of the setting of the "blocked" bit.
    >>
    >> I don't believe they say that. At least they did not say
    >> that in the past. You need to see the actual wording
    >> to understand how people misinterpret/misunderstand
    >> it. What they are refering to is
    >> switches/partners/networks that don't support CID. I
    >> expect they are far and few inbetween any more. For
    >> example you could take your
    >> VZW phone somewhere you get an old analog signal
    >> on some mom and pop partner network, call home
    >> to someone on the familyshare and you don't get M2M.
    >

    > Quote from the VZW Web page describing the America Choice
    > plan:
    >
    > "If Caller ID is not present or Caller ID Block is
    > initiated, National IN Calling does not apply to incoming
    > calls and will apply to outgoing calls only."
    >
    > The "Caller ID is not present" refers to lame switches
    > dropping the CID info somewhere along the way, as you
    > point out. What can "Caller ID Block is initiated" mean
    > other than caller-initiated caller id blocking (either
    > *67 or setting it as the default on the line)?

    Was it my LG TM-510? (or maybe it was the GSM
    Nokia 3290 I had on Cingular for a short time) that
    had the option to block/disable CID from the phone.
    Is it the case that some devices don't even fill it in
    if it's disabled? If that's the case they are likely to
    use a blanket statement just like that.

    -Quick

    Quick wrote:
    > CharlesH wrote:
    >
    >>Quick wrote:

    >>>I don't believe they say that. At least they did not say
    >>>that in the past. You need to see the actual wording
    >>>to understand how people misinterpret/misunderstand
    >>>it. What they are refering to is
    >>>switches/partners/networks that don't support CID. I
    >>>expect they are far and few inbetween any more. For
    >>>example you could take your
    >>>VZW phone somewhere you get an old analog signal
    >>>on some mom and pop partner network, call home
    >>>to someone on the familyshare and you don't get M2M.
    >>

    >>Quote from the VZW Web page describing the America Choice
    >>plan:
    >>
    >>"If Caller ID is not present or Caller ID Block is
    >>initiated, National IN Calling does not apply to incoming
    >>calls and will apply to outgoing calls only."
    >>
    >>The "Caller ID is not present" refers to lame switches
    >>dropping the CID info somewhere along the way, as you
    >>point out. What can "Caller ID Block is initiated" mean
    >>other than caller-initiated caller id blocking (either
    >>*67 or setting it as the default on the line)?
    >
    > Was it my LG TM-510? (or maybe it was the GSM
    > Nokia 3290 I had on Cingular for a short time) that
    > had the option to block/disable CID from the phone.
    > Is it the case that some devices don't even fill it in
    > if it's disabled? If that's the case they are likely to
    > use a blanket statement just like that.

    CLID is something the system generates. You can use a prefix (*67 on VZW
    phones; something else on GSM phones per the GSM standard) to tell the
    system to set the "block" bit in the CLID info, just as you do on
    landline phones, but the phone itself does not generate the CLID info.

    CharlesH wrote:

    > You cannot set the CID on a regular phone line; you have to have a
    > special business line like ISDN-PRI to spoof it.

    ....or a Voice-over-IP line and an (im)properly configured Asterisk box.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Is it possible to spoof caller id with voice over Internet phonelines
    (Vonage, etc)?

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:43:50 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
    <ghost@general.lee> wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 14:05:19 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
    >>
    >>> So why didn't those minutes show up in my off peak bucket?
    >>
    >>Don't know. Maybe things have changed.
    >>
    >>I've seen forwarded calls listed on my VZW bills specifically as forwarded
    >>calls.
    >
    >I'll have to have my friend call me on Tuesday and see how that works
    >out. I'll report back here with the results, especially if VZW left
    >that big of a loophole open.

    I just checked my bill online, and no forwarded calls appear. I also
    see that in spite of a code '*' to indicate such on the bill, they
    aren't doing call spanning, either. If you start a call during peak
    hours, it stays peak for the duration.

    I'm sure this varies by area, and I'll happily take free call
    forwarding over proper call spanning.;-)

Verizon Internet Service Providers Product