Motherboard not sensing fan speed

thezookeeper

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Is there any reason why my motherboard (Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe) won't sense the speed of either of two Panaflo (FBA08A12U1A) fans? I've tried connecting both directly to a three pin connector on the board and using a 3-4 pin adapter with a speed sensing thing, but in both cases, I've had no luck getting it to work right.

Also, I was a bit suprised to find that just one of these Panaflos on my Hyper6 makes significantly more noise than the cheap Coolermaster fan that came with the heatsink. Even stranger, my CPU temp is slightly higher using 2 Panaflos than it was using the single Coolermaster fan...and the Panaflos are rated as much more powerful.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Does that fan have 3 leads? When I do a search for that one it looks like it only has 2. You need the third yellow lead to monitor the rpms. Not all panaflo fans have rpm sensors, I believe only their BX models do.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

thezookeeper

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Yeah it has three leads, but apparently Sidewinder stocks the ones without rpm sensors...I guess I just read over that part in the product description. I wonder why they bother to attach a third lead then, but that would explain why it doesn't register. Thanks a bunch.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Same thing with my powersupply. It has a special cable so I can use its internal fan's speed sensor, but it hasn't worked on any motherboard yet.

Maybe its a marketing trick? Maybe its defective, maybe they switch to a fan without a sensor and never changed the external cabling?

Who knows. I guess when my powersupply catches fire or hopefully just turns off, I will know the fan has failed.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I think the thing with the power supply fan is that the RPMs are so low most of the time the motherboard won't read it. I've never gotten readings from my power supplies either when using the motherboard. If I recall correctly the rpms were in the hundreds when I hooked one of my old antec psus up to a fan controller.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>