Sign in with
Your question

Please assist ASAP

Last response: in Overclocking
January 30, 2005 5:10:08 AM

Hello ,

Using my Asus P4P800 SE and Pen 4 (Prescott) 2.8GHz (e)
I had tried overclocking , for a while it went great ...
I got up to 220 Frequency and the temperatures were well within limits about 45 Celcius to 50 celsius...

Now having removed the CPU and applying Coolent cream/paaste... and reinstalling the CPU I have a SERIOUS PROBLEM... Now not overclocking it at all the temperatures won't go below 70 Celsius and seem to be climbing... CPU official Intel Cooler is running at 3000 RPM and I don't know what to do ...

Did I cause this heat increase somehow???

If considering a CPU replacement will any one recommend the Northwood Chip over the Prescott???

PLEASE ADVISE ASAP
thank you

More about : assist asap

January 30, 2005 8:48:10 AM

Yes, you caused the new problem, but it can be fixed. Dont fire that thing back up untill you talk to us or you may damage it. My first question is why did you remove it to begin with? Were you changing heatsinks?I cant remember which P4 you have, is socket 478 or 775? What brand of thermal compound are you using?

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:
January 30, 2005 9:06:36 AM

I don't know what kind of brand of thermal compound I was using, a cheap Chinese one no doubt.. .
I was changing heatsinks, to see how many rpm's I could achieve with the official Intel cooler that comes with the CPU ... My CPU is the Prescott 2.8GHz (E) bought in South Korea , that's where i live bytheway. 478 Socket

Anyways How is it possible that after maybe running the FSB frequency a little harsh up to the point of 220 , i slowed it down again after people told me "OUCH!!!!" "do it in increments" But now I am even afraid to run it period, it keep jumping to 70 CELSIUS, which i never had before ... I use to have a steady 45 C to 55 C on long usage...

How is this possible and how is it possible that the temps won't go down... Could it also be a defect in the motherboards Winbond sensor array???/

Please advise, I can't really stop using my CPU other wise I can't use this forum now can't i ? ^^

Lots of Thanks for your help ,
Keep helping me as bet you can
Cheers
Ralph
Related resources
January 30, 2005 10:08:02 AM

This is usually the issue when this problem occurs. You probably dont have a major problem, just something like not making good contact with the CPU and Heatsink. Or maybe you havent gotten the surface of one or the other cleaned properly. The thermal material derves different purposes, but one of those is to fill any small crevices or uneven spots that may exist between the heatsink and the cpu.

1. Tell me this, and then I will suggest something for you to do.
2. Which P4 do you have ? Is it a socket 478 or the Socket 775?
3. Are you using the stock intel heatsink right now?
4. Did you put a thick coat or a thin coat of thermal compound on the CPU?
5. Waas there still old thermal material from the last heatsink still on when you installed this last one?
6. Did you remove the CPU from the socket? If you didnt, then dont.

January 30, 2005 10:33:59 AM

I will answer your questions...

1. Tell me this, and then I will suggest something for you to do.
2. Which P4 do you have ? Is it a socket 478 or the Socket 775?
I have a Pentium 4 Prescott 1mb L2cache 2.8GHZ (E) 478 socket
3. Are you using the stock intel heatsink right now?
I was using the stock intel heatsink and cooler, but have now changed to a different heatsink with larger Fan
4. Did you put a thick coat or a thin coat of thermal compound on the CPU?
I put a thin coat of thermal compound on it (silver color)
5. Waas there still old thermal material from the last heatsink still on when you installed this last one?
There wasn't any old thermal compound on there because i removed it with a clean paper cloth.
6. Did you remove the CPU from the socket? If you didnt, then dont.
I did remove the cpu from it's socket !!!! having done this why do you say "Don't"!!! Reasons???

I have answered your question ,
please give your advise
thanks
Ralph
January 30, 2005 10:58:08 AM

The reason I said to not take it out was simply because other things could happen like bending pins or getting thermal grease on the pins. The main reason I said that was that I didnt know if you had the Socket 775. The socket 775 is very fragile and should never be messed with unless absolutely needed. This is of no concern to you though because you dont have the socket 775.

Ok, I wish I knew the Brand Heatsink that you were trying to use. That may be the whoe problem. Sometimes the Intel Heatsink is better than some of the ones you can buy.

I have a pretty good feeling that one of two things is happening. Either you arent making good contact with the new heatsink and CPU or the new heatsink just isnt as good as Intels heatsink. There are two different things you could do.

1. You could shut down the system and clean the heatsind and cpu agian. Alcohol and a rag will do fine. Then reapply a thin coat of thermal material to the CPU make sure its an thin even coat. It doesnt have to be perfect as long as it covers. Just dont put it on to thick. Then reseat the heatsink making sure that its in the correct positon.

2. The other thing you could do, and this is what I would do if I were in your situation. Clean the Intel Heatsink and simply reapply thermal paste to the CPU and reaseat the Intel heatsink and fan. The reason that I would go back with the Intel heatsink is because you know that it works fine. You need to get you temps back down so that is what I would do. Dont expect for your temps to be the same right away. They should be much cooler than they are now, but sometimes it takes a few days for new thermal materail to break in and cool the best.

Let me know what your going to do and about how long you think it may take so I can try to be around when you get the CPU and Heatsink reseated.

January 30, 2005 11:00:29 AM

Let me say again, dont worry about the comment I made about not taking the CPU out of the socket. I was afraid that you had one of the socket 775 CPU's but you dont so this doesnt apply to you.

January 30, 2005 11:31:30 AM

I waited for over 30mins I cant wait anymore.

January 30, 2005 2:21:18 PM

Sorry mozzartusm,

I understand you , and I'll tell you what i will do ,
The problem I had with the 70 Celsius happened when I switched to the Intel Cooler that cam ewith the CPU...
Now I have a different cooler but I don't really know where it is from , I guess China (What isn't from there right?)

The temps are now still quite high around 60 CELSIUS !!!
With the other heatsink... I guess I must have placed the intel heatsink incorrectly on the cpu...

SO you don't recommend buying the LGA 775 Socket CPU's ???
Thesedays they are overpowering the 47 Socket Prescott chips... But what the hell is so bad about them ??? If pins break then wouldn;t you be able to get After Service for it.>????

anyways
thanks for all your help
cheeers
Ralph
January 30, 2005 3:36:49 PM

I thought that you had the intel on when it was the coolest. So just to make sure that I understand, did you have the intel cooler on when it was the hottest? I guess that you have reseated the heatsink since we talked last. Is this correct? And now you have at least dropped the temps around 10C. Thats a good start. Like I said earlier, some of the thermal compunds actually take a few days of intense work before they start to work the best.

Heres what I would do at this point. I would take the heatsink that you were using when the CPU was the coolest and put it back on. Theres no doubt in my mind now that you didnt have it seated properly. You just got a 10C reduction in temps by reseating this one, so take the one that was running the coolest and carefully resaet it. If your already using that one then work with it awhile and see what you rtemps do.

Do you have a thermometer laying around? Like the one you would use to check to see if you had a fever when your sick? If you do then you can get a close idea of whether your MOBO is reporting the correct temps. Let me know if you have one of these and if it is digital or the regular kind and I will tell you what to do.

January 30, 2005 3:53:15 PM

Quote:
SO you don't recommend buying the LGA 775 Socket CPU's ???
Thesedays they are overpowering the 47 Socket Prescott chips... But what the hell is so bad about them ??? If pins break then wouldn;t you be able to get After Service for it.>????

I personally have a P4 3.4 socket 775 CPU and I like it. Now here are the problems with this CPU. First its the heat. If this problem you just had would have been with a 775, then your heat would have been closer to 85C or 90C. Thats not good. These CPU's can be controlled, but you have to understand that your going to have to put in a substantial investment if your going to use this chip. First of all you will have to water cool the CPU if your going to get it to its max speeds. Second your going to have to get the expensive new DDR2 RAm if your going to overclock past 10%. Third, your goign to have to buy a very expensive MOBO like the one I have its the ASUS P5AD2-E PREMIUM and its around $250.00 US. Then you will need one of the ATI video cards because with this CPU the main bottleneck involves the PCIexpress frequency and the ATI cards will run better out of specs than the GeFORCE cards. This is only true with this CPU. The comment you made about the 775 outperforming the 478, I dont think that is totally correct. The only way that I would beleive this is if your going to get one of the high dollar fater models like the 3.6 or the new 3.8 and they are way to high in price. I also have a 3.0e P4 and i have overclocked it to 3.9 on AIR. I didnt leave it there, but im sure I could get it to stay there with the proper cooling system. MY point is that the 3.0E is a 478 and it will oc very well. Im not trying to tell you not to get a 775, but you better plan for it and you better know your stuff becasue its just not for everyone. You can run into alot of problems with this CPU. Besides, be patient Intel is about to introduce a whole new line of 775 CPU some with 2MB L2 Cashe. They may be better witht he heat issues.

January 30, 2005 3:57:01 PM

Oh, and about the pins breaking. The pins on the 775 are not on teh CPU like they are on the 478 like you have. The 775 doesnt have pins at all. The pins are in the socket on the MOBO. The problem is that they are much more fragile than the ones that come on a CPU. IF they get bent then it has nothing to do with intel, its your MOBO comany that you must deal with. They may not warranty something like this. They could say that it was your fault.

January 31, 2005 6:19:59 AM

Hey mozzartusm,

Thanks for all the Info , but How about chatting on msn messenger later , here;s my id is your interested: honsbeek@msn.com

I just came back from the Electronics Market here in Seoul and exchanged my 2.8E with a 3.0E just because I had a really cheap change to do it... Furthermore I maybe thought I had damaged it when overclocking...

So to answers your previous questions, I had the high temps when I used the Official Intel cooler , it went over 70 Celsius , which just freaked me out. I don't even know what the safe running temps are for the prescott 2.8 and 3.0E. Does anyone know????

I have decided not to go with the 775 socket yet, like you said let's wait and see what Intel does, ...

Where do you live anyways are you asian ?
I am Dutch and living in Seoul South Korea... ^^

Thanks anyway for all your insights... And also
if you can, can you teach me how you OC'ed your Pen 4 3.0E to 3.9 Mhz on air, now that I have one too!!!!

I never touch the Dram timing , because then my system doesn't start up.. I am keeping it on the standard Frequency right now, and am curious as how you got it to 3.9 MHz... PLease enlighten me some more , i hear upping the FSB in increments is good, but how much time in between are we taling about ...

OK that's it for now ,

Cheers
Ralph
January 31, 2005 9:56:19 AM

I can help you with that 3.0E for sure, im running that same chip in my other rig. Dont expect to run that 3.0E up to 3.9 on air. You may get lucky, but chances are you wont. I didnt keep it at 3.9 but for a few minutes because thats just to much with air. You can get to 3.4 - 3.6 with some work, and some time. Your going to have to really take your time if your going to do this correct.

We can certainly chat through a messenger, it would save time and be easier that way. Im in the USA, Mississippi way down south. Our time is completely different. Let me know what your average daily schedule is so that we can try to figure out when we can catch up with each other. Im going to need to know your full systems specs. Everything from the MOBO and model number to the brand and speed RAM you are using. Also list your PSU and I need to know what kind of case you are using and how many and what size fans you currently have.

January 31, 2005 11:28:29 AM

Here are my Specs...

MOBO = ASUS P4P800 SE (I bora)
CPU = Pen 4 3.0E (Prescott) 1mb L2 Cache
RAM = 2 slices of delicious Samsung 256mb PC 3200 in dual slots
GPU = Radeon 7500 64MB (need to get rid of this piece of crap soon, but am so dilemma-tized by the new PCI express technology)
CASE= I don't really know a cheap one , MOBO barely fits in it ...
FANS are custom double bar bearings running at almost 3000 rpm.s i think the size is bigger than the standard Intel cooler, maybe 8 cm.. you tell me... one size larger than a Power supply fan !!!!

That's it ...

How about your system ???
I am usually on-line a lot , just add me and you'll see me

cheers
Ralpoh
!