Bluetooth and radiation?

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

Although I'm aware it's very questionable, I still try to avoid using my
cell directly and I use a headset most of the time.

I now have a phone, V110, which supports Bluetooth and I would like to
get the Moto bluetooth headset. But I'm concerned about whether I would
then be exposing myself to radation from the bluetooth signals being
sent and received.

Anyone have information about this?

TIA

Louise

Matt,

I only use cordless phones at home, and they are 5.8 Ghz--is all the
radiation the same?

If this sounds smart-alecky, I'm not meaning for it to, I just don't know
anything about this stuff, but talk on this particular phone quite a bit!

Thanks,

Janie

"Matt" <spammers@are.bad.com> wrote in message
> Louise wrote:
>> Although I'm aware it's very questionable, I still try to avoid using my
>> cell directly and I use a headset most of the time.
>>
>> I now have a phone, V110, which supports Bluetooth and I would like to
>> get the Moto bluetooth headset. But I'm concerned about whether I would
>> then be exposing myself to radation from the bluetooth signals being sent
>> and received.
>>
>> Anyone have information about this?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Louise
>>

> No more then using a wireless card in your laptop... but this is the exact
> reason I use a wired headset (or the speakerphone) rather then a bluetooth
> headset with the V710... I got the V710 BECAUSE it had the speakerphone to
> keep radiation out of my head.. putting a bluetooth headset IN MY EAR..
> puts me CLOSER to the radiation!!! (and on 2.4Ghz [same as your microwave]
> rather then 800 or 1900mhz.

By far the biggest radiation danger most citizens see in their daily lives
comes from summer sunshine.

"Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message news:UsWwe.17588$Oi4.151974@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> Matt,
>
> I only use cordless phones at home, and they are 5.8 Ghz--is all the
> radiation the same?
>
> If this sounds smart-alecky, I'm not meaning for it to, I just don't know
> anything about this stuff, but talk on this particular phone quite a bit!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Janie
>
> "Matt" <spammers@are.bad.com> wrote in message
>> Louise wrote:
>>> Although I'm aware it's very questionable, I still try to avoid using my
>>> cell directly and I use a headset most of the time.
>>>
>>> I now have a phone, V110, which supports Bluetooth and I would like to
>>> get the Moto bluetooth headset. But I'm concerned about whether I would
>>> then be exposing myself to radation from the bluetooth signals being sent
>>> and received.
>>>
>>> Anyone have information about this?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Louise
>>>

>> No more then using a wireless card in your laptop... but this is the exact
>> reason I use a wired headset (or the speakerphone) rather then a bluetooth
>> headset with the V710... I got the V710 BECAUSE it had the speakerphone to
>> keep radiation out of my head.. putting a bluetooth headset IN MY EAR..
>> puts me CLOSER to the radiation!!! (and on 2.4Ghz [same as your microwave]
>> rather then 800 or 1900mhz.

"Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
| Matt,
|
| I only use cordless phones at home, and they are 5.8 Ghz--is all the
| radiation the same?
|
| If this sounds smart-alecky, I'm not meaning for it to, I just don't know
| anything about this stuff, but talk on this particular phone quite a bit!
|
| Thanks,
|
| Janie

All RF EMF/radiation is the 'same'. The effects are somewhat frequency
dependant which is why a microwave oven employs a specific frequency range

BTW the power levels are vastly different by many orders of magnitude from
that of a cell phone. By that token the power levels from a cordless phone
are orders of magnitude DOWN from that use by a cell phone.

NotMe wrote:
> BTW the power levels are vastly different by many orders of magnitude from
> that of a cell phone. By that token the power levels from a cordless phone
> are orders of magnitude DOWN from that use by a cell phone.

That isn't necessarily true. A CDMA cellphone's power varies
dynamically, changing thousands of times per second, ranging from well
below a microwatt to several hundred milliwatts. At its maximum power,
it may be higher than a cordless phone, but much of the time it will be
orders of magnitude lower.

--
Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD (USA)

"Michael D. Sullivan"

| > BTW the power levels are vastly different by many orders of magnitude
from
| > that of a cell phone. By that token the power levels from a cordless
phone
| > are orders of magnitude DOWN from that use by a cell phone.
|
| That isn't necessarily true. A CDMA cellphone's power varies
| dynamically, changing thousands of times per second, ranging from well
| below a microwatt to several hundred milliwatts. At its maximum power,
| it may be higher than a cordless phone, but much of the time it will be
| orders of magnitude lower.

According to the CTIA data the median CDMA phone power is around 250
millwatts and that in large system with dense cell site distribution. Which
means that half the time the phone is above 250 millwatts whereas the
cordless phone never gets to that level.

Regardless the question was are cordless phone more or less 'dangerous that
cell phones.

Matt wrote:
> SOme people may have different opinions.. I just like to play it safe...
> radiation is radiation for the most part... the thing about 2.4ghz is
> that's what water "fries"? at....

The heat from a large flame can cause serious damage to your skin; the
heat from a match held a foot under your hand won't warm you on a cold
day. Plugging your fingers into an electrical outlet can kill you, but
holding an AA battery with wet hands you'll never even know any electricity
is flowing. The bluetooth radiation is very low level.

TRENDING THREADS