God i need to know this

honsbeek2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Hello,

I just got a new CPU a Prescott 3.0E ,
How in gods name can I found out what the official safe temepratures for this cpu are ???

I just installed at and it's reading 65 Celsius, What are the safe temperatures for a 3.0 E Prescott Please...

Thank you
Ralph

Is that Idle.

The prescotts are well known for running hot. But, 65 / 70 should be load temps I think

honsbeek2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
No not idle, I am just using my computer
to 70 Celsius would be the limit,
How about when OC 'ing is 70 Celsius still the safety limit ?

Thanks

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
The problem with OCing an already HOT chip (like yours...) is that the higher the frequency, the higher the temps, yet high frequencies like high temps less than low frequencies. The higher you put it, the more it's hurting itself. There is a healthy balance, however...most likely 3.2-3.4GHz for you, depending on how much you can get your temps down.

As for the safety limit, I recommend you download a program called throttlewatch (google it), when it says your CPU is throttling, you've gone too far, drop the speed down a bit. Temperatures are the guidelines for exactly when the CPU will throttle (and by how much), since I don't know the stepping of your CPU, I can't really help giving you the exact info, but 72C is the generic number you always want to stay below (IIRC) for the Prescott.

Hope that helps.

Note: don't forget that the hotter the CPU, the hotter everything else will get and could potentially hamper the performance, reliability and stability of other components.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I think that this guy is having an issue with seating the heatsink. We have been talking back and forth for sometime now.

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:

TRENDING THREADS