Suddenly Overheating problem -- help pls!

AdamL

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Hi!

I have been happily using an AMD XP Mobile o/c'd at 2.4 Ghz (200x12) which was a very stable configuration when I set it up just 6 months ago.

Now all of a sudden I'm running into all kinds of overheating. The thing is idling high, at 65 degrees!

I haven't changed the heatsink/fan (which is a good heatsink with a very powerful fan).

What could be the problem? Do I have to take the heatsink off and reapply my arctic silver or something?

Thanks for the help.

You have probably knocked the HSF.

Reattach and check for damage the the mouting stuff (can't think what it is caled! :eek: )

AdamL

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Hey, thanks for your help. Do you mean the heatsink itself might have been knocked off the cpu?

Would removing the heatsink and fan from the cpu mean I have to remove and reapply the arctic silver compound, or is the old stuff fine?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Remove the HSF, clean off the cpu and HSF, reapply the thermal grease, then reinstall the HSF.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
If your fan in the CPU is off weight, it would vibrate and move the HSF off or loose. Ive seen HSF just fall off the cpu so this stuff happens.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>