Sign in with
Your question

Suddenly Overheating problem -- help pls!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Heatsinks
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 1, 2005 1:26:26 PM

Hi!

I have been happily using an AMD XP Mobile o/c'd at 2.4 Ghz (200x12) which was a very stable configuration when I set it up just 6 months ago.

Now all of a sudden I'm running into all kinds of overheating. The thing is idling high, at 65 degrees!

I haven't changed the heatsink/fan (which is a good heatsink with a very powerful fan).

What could be the problem? Do I have to take the heatsink off and reapply my arctic silver or something?

Thanks for the help.

More about : suddenly overheating problem pls

February 1, 2005 3:05:22 PM

You have probably knocked the HSF.

Reattach and check for damage the the mouting stuff (can't think what it is caled! :eek:  )

February 1, 2005 5:18:56 PM

Hey, thanks for your help. Do you mean the heatsink itself might have been knocked off the cpu?

Would removing the heatsink and fan from the cpu mean I have to remove and reapply the arctic silver compound, or is the old stuff fine?
Related resources
February 2, 2005 6:52:26 PM

Remove the HSF, clean off the cpu and HSF, reapply the thermal grease, then reinstall the HSF.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
February 2, 2005 6:54:00 PM

If your fan in the CPU is off weight, it would vibrate and move the HSF off or loose. Ive seen HSF just fall off the cpu so this stuff happens.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
February 2, 2005 8:21:40 PM

What does HSF stand for?
February 3, 2005 12:34:49 AM

HSF stands for HeatSinkFan basically the combo of a fan and a heatsink together.
!