Sign in with
Your question

Not your usual "Playstation 3 on monitor?"-thread

Last response: in Video Games
March 4, 2013 9:42:44 AM

Hi there!

I have a gorgeous, but slightly unknown Crossover 27q LED-P monitor (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1407...). The monitor only has a DL (dual-link) DVI-D input - and other than the power input, that is it.

My problem:

• I can connect my PC to the monitor via DL DVI-D to DL DVI-D.
• I can connect my Xbox 360 to the monitor via HDMI to HDMI with female HDMI to male DL DVI-D adapter. (others with the same monitor have reported that it can handle both X360 and PS3)
• I can connect my PS3 to a TV via HDMI to HDMI. (=HDMI port on PS3 is not fried)
• I can not connect my PS3 with the exact same connection as with the Xbox 360. This leads to a blank/black screen.

The monitor has a small LED lamp at the bottom right of the screen which is blue when the monitor is active and red when it's on standby. When I turn on the PS3, it continues glowing red.

I have tried:

• Using a composite cable to connect to a different screen and manually change display settings to HDMI. =Blank screen.
• Resetting the PS3 settings by pressing and holding the power button until the 2nd beep. =Blank screen, unless I also have the composite cable connected in which case it immediately tells me (on the screen connected via composite) that a HDMI connection has been detected and whether I want to connect. Selecting Yes leads to blank screen.
• Another PS3 console. =Blank screen.

I read somewhere that the PS3 can have a hard time with adapters. Had I been in the US I would've bought a HDMI - DL DVI-D cable, but I'm having a hard time finding one that can be shipped to Stockholm for a good price.

It's very strange to me why the monitor would work perfectly well with the Xbox 360 and not the PS3. I understand that they're different consoles, but I'm hoping someone has a better, more detailed answer and maybe even a solution!

Thank you for any input!
March 9, 2013 10:45:23 PM

Problem solved.

I connected my PS3 with a HDTV. While it is connected to a HDTV via HDMI you can customize the output resolution. I made sure only 720p was checked (and the lower one, 560p or something, as it cannot be unchecked). Tried connecting it with my monitor again and it works well! This was with a DL DVI-D to HDMI cable, haven't tried with the adapter yet.

Good luck folks!
March 9, 2013 11:32:21 PM

just wondering how do you get audio?
Related resources
March 10, 2013 8:07:41 AM

I use the optical output, but you can use only the white and red parts of the RCA output (and if you only have a 3.5mm jack, you can get a RCA<->3.5mm adapter I believe).
March 10, 2013 2:04:04 PM

rca... would that be the red white and i think its yellow cables i had on my microsoft xbox 360 vga cable? (it broke so i brought a non microsoft one that does not have the yellow one just the audio ones)

could i have a link to the cable you are using?
March 19, 2013 5:40:22 AM

@heero yuy- "You will need, whichever cable you buy, a Red/White female to 3.5 audio jack male adapter like this, and a female 3.5 to female 3.5 like this for your audio output." -via another thread I posted on. Any cord for Xbox 360 or PS3 that has a red/white output (composite or component) will work with those linked adapters, just be sure to set it in your audio options on the PS3. (Xbox does it automatically.) Oh, and I love your avatar ^.^
March 19, 2013 6:04:37 AM

freshbakd said:
an easier fix any time anyone ever runs into this problem is hook it up hold power button down for extended period (30 seconds i think) this clears display settings and forces a detection and will simply make it work

"• Resetting the PS3 settings by pressing and holding the power button until the 2nd beep. =Blank screen, unless I also have the composite cable connected in which case it immediately tells me (on the screen connected via composite) that a HDMI connection has been detected and whether I want to connect. Selecting Yes leads to blank screen."

He did that. But he was using adapters at the time, and the PS3 hates hdmi adapters. Cables only.
March 19, 2013 6:11:11 AM

my bad he's correct^ just breazed right through and missed that. Was reminded of when i brought my ps3 to a friends house and having to figure that trick out
March 19, 2013 10:06:26 AM

10202894,0,1117456 said:
Problem solved.

Deleted as someone else already stated my suggestion :) 
!