Sign in with
Your question

Peltier verses Water...

Last response: in Overclocking
February 3, 2005 1:43:21 PM

How do Peltier CPU coolers compare to water coolers?

I once saw a peltier cooler for water to chill the water, but now can't find any info.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

More about : peltier verses water

February 3, 2005 10:31:01 PM

You actually use a water cooling system to cool a peltier. They way a peltier works is when electricity is aplied to the little block oneside gets really cold and one side gets really hot. The cold side cools the cpu and the hot side is cooled by the liquid cooling system. If it gets to hot it fries and so does your cpu/system :)  A regular air cooler usually isn't enough to cool a peltier unless it is a very low wattage one or something.

A peltier with a water cooling system will give much better cooling results than just a water cooling system alone. Unless you are doing some crazy overclocking you don't really need one. The price isn't worth it :) 

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by folken on 02/03/05 04:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 3, 2005 11:01:28 PM

A peltier is not a cooling system a such, a peltier uses the thermo-electric effect to make one side of the metal plate very cold and the other VERY hot. You need an extremely good cooling system to remove the heat from the hot side otherwise you will melt thru ur motherboard pretty quickly.
Related resources
February 3, 2005 11:13:54 PM

Are you currently using a liquid cooling rig? Ive come up with a pretty good system that will probably suit your needs if your interested PM me. BTW I am going to be in your neck of the woods sometime in the next couple of weeks. If you can break away for an hour or so maybe we can down a few beers :tongue:

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:
February 3, 2005 11:58:02 PM

Will do. I am not using one, first I have drive array to do, so it would be next upgrade after that one.

Do Peltier cooling systems rate as the best?

I thought I saw a peltier system cooling the water resovoir. And I did not know the cold plate for CPU reguired water cooling also.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
!