Looking for a new mouse and keyboard for gaming

mikeyyve

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hey guys. I'm looking into buy a new mouse and keyboard for playing games and I am looking for opinions on the best mouse and keyboard. I currently have a logitech mk710 combo with a mouse and keyboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126094

I play all kinds of games like crisis 3, the mass effect series, mmorpgs like world of warcraft and star wars and I have even started messing around with League of Legends.

I'm looking to get a few questions answered:

1) Should I go for a new keyboard or a new mouse first? I have limited money so I would rather upgrade the one that makes the most difference.

2) What mice and keyboards should I be looking at?

Nothing really needs to be wireless and my budget is probably $90 or less for a mouse and $150 or less for a keyboard.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I would say grab a G600 mouse. It has 20 buttons with 3-color coded modes. It also has a ring finger 3rd button that allows you to modify the function of the 12 side keys when pressed down. They side buttons are angled pretty well so you get use to the feel of finding your way around them with your thumb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104674

I set the buttons for whatever games I'm playing. I don't play WOW, but I imagine this would be perfect for it. I play BF3 and played through Arkham Asylum with this mouse. The buttons prove really convenient.

You can color code each mode you have programmed for 3 different custom modes. You can map the various buttons and combos you usually use to a button on the side of the mouse.

It has up to a 1000ms polling rate and allows DPI from 200 to 8500 with settings that can be changed on the fly. This proves useful in BF3 when going from foot soldier to M1A1 driver.

It's really a good piece of equipment. I had the G500 which really fulfills the needs of most people. It has a few side buttons, but not as many as the G600:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318

It's a really good mouse too with just about all of the specs as the G600, just with fewer side buttons and no ring-finger shift button.

You can program macros and assign them to the buttons on both.

It depends on what you're going for.

g600 has a major fault in that it skips badly due to poor firmware.
not a good choice.
mmo mice are a gimmick at best , much better to get a basic or near basic gaming mouse that has a good reliable tracker and simple controls.
anker precision laser gaming mouse uses the same 8200 dpi as in the g600 but doesnt skip, it has 3 thumb buttons and a total of 9 buttons in all 7 of which are programmable with 3 different pofiles each.
there are many other mice as good as this 1 but non at its price point of £30/$30.

if you want something thats distinguished from the pack then look ar roccat or thermaltake. corsair also have some quality mice.

I don't recall the G600 skipping, but the mouse had major issues for me, when I tried it for a week.

The software didn't let you set any of the G keys to shift/alt/ctrl unless you make a specific profile for a specific game and it might have even required Lua to do it. I didn't want to micromanage it that much.

I had a hard time picking up the mouse and readjusting it without accidentally pushing a G key on accident. And since your ring finger is on a key, that leave picking it up to just your pinky finger and thumb. This cause it to not lift up well with the back end dropping to the mouse pad.

I personally love the G700. While it doesn't have as many keys as the G600, it does have a lot, and are much better positioned for use.

chief keef

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Das keyboard is pretty good, and they have a 10% student discount if you can provide proof. But definitely go with a mechanical keyboard. Mouse I'm not too sure about.

I haven't had the issue with the G600 mouse skipping. I did see people mentioning that when it first came out. Perhaps they solved that problem.

I'm not sure why you think MMO mice are a gimmick? Once you get used to the functionality and the buttons you've customized, it's pretty convenient. The arrangement and angle of the buttons makes it pretty easy for your thumb to 'recognize' where each button lies. I'm sure some people don't have the patience for programming the buttons and acclimating themselves to the custom controls, but once you do, it's pretty convenient. I haven't even ventured into using the ring-finger shift key to assign another set of controls within a profile, but it's there when you need it.

A huge consideration with an MMO mouse and someone who is into MMOs is this is a game they will be playing day in and day out. The functionality of the G-buttons can be phased in as you discover new ideas for macros or as you find ways to make key presses more convenient by assigning them to the G-buttons. As a result, it becomes that much more useful to MMO players. I think this is where the increased value is with the MMO mouse.

Bystander told me about the g-key on the G600 thing in another thread, but I must not grip the mouse as tightly as I haven't had this issue with inadvertently hitting the G-key. It is something to note though. I hadn't thought of that before I picked mine up. I went to the local store to see how it felt to make sure it wasn't an issue.

It's really all a matter of preference. The G500 is a good option with fewer buttons. I used this for around a year and a half. Really, I was fine with the G500, but really curious about the G600 and the possibilities. So at this time, I'm committing to the G600, but have found no real issues.

Additionaly, there's a Logitech G9x that's a heck of a deal on Amazon if you can look past all of the COD labels:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming-Mouse-Call-Duty/dp/B005S0KHIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362491639&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+call+of+duty+mouse

The cheapest I've seen the non-COD version of this mouse is $65. It's good for FPSs, especially.

Personally, I won't use anything wireless when it comes to mice because I've had batteries begin to go on me in the middle of a click/drag file operation and the results are not predictable. I imagine it would piss me off in the middle of a good round of BF3 as well.