AMD64: Memory's Role in Overclocking... ?

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
I posted this in the Memory section of the forum, but also thought I'd post here as well since it kinda fits this cateogry as well:

I'm somewhat of a newb when it comes to CPU and motherboard chipset overclocking (not a newb to computers, putting them together, or whatnot). Recently put together a Chaintech nForce4 motherboard with cheapo RAM, and knew I wouldn't get much out of overclocking, but thought I'd try anyway. Default setting was 9x 200Mhtz FSB, which put me at 1.8Ghtz (AMD 3000+ S939).

First attempt was FSB at 205, which put me at 9x 205 = 1845Mhtz and everything was all good (CPU temp, ambient temp, everything checked out ok). Memory was clocked at 418Mhtz (PC3200)... not sure how that got calculated.

So anyway, I got gutsy and pushed FSB to 211Mhtz, which clocked the CPU at 1899Mhtz... and memory to 440Mhtz, and again not sure how that clock on memory was calculated.

When I pushed the FSB to 213Mhtz, that's when my computer basicaly wouldn't start at all, but after a CMOS reset everything is all good now.

My question is, obviously my memory (possibly voltage) held my pc back from being overclocked passed what it did, but how did those memory frequency clock settings get calculated - 418Mhtz w/FSB at 205 and 440Mhtz w/FSB at 211? Any of you savvy overclockers able to explain this mathematical conundrum? Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.