60 to 80 converter safe solution to a noisy fan?

I have an XP 2400 cooled with a Taisol CGK760172
60x60x10mm 4800 RPM 21.19 CFM 36.5dB

It wasn't quiet to begin with and its gotten noiser over the years. I want to buy a Zalman 7000 AlCu, but there is no room for it.

I am considering trying a CoolMax 60 to 80 mm converter and adding a quiet 80mm fan. (its sort of like a truncated funnel).

I have an extra Thermaltake Blue Eye.
80 x 80 x 25 mm Sleeve 2000 RPM's (CFM): 27.8 Noise(dBA): 21.

You think that will do the trick or will the conversion lower the CRM from 27.8 to below 21?

If so what CFM 80mm fan would I need to reach 21 CFM when converted to 60 mmm, or is this just a very bad idea.

Do fan manufacturers often exagerate CFM ratings?

Are sleave bearings too risky for a CPU fan? Most of the fans that failed on me were ball bearing fans, so I don't know if they are really more reliable.

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about converter safe solution noisy
  1. An 80mm fan with an 80-60mm adaptor should work fairly well. I'm not sure about the cfm reduction. Putting that adaptor on it "shouldn't" reduce the cfm to much.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
  2. If I remember correctly, a while back I read that an adapter actually reduces cooling effeciency.

Of course I was looking at 80mm - 120 mm

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."
  3. sounds like it is worth the risk the converter is cheap, I already have the 80mm fan and I can monitor the CPU temp under full load before and after.

If that fails I will get a Zalman 6000. But it require an unattached fan to be suspended in front of it via an arm attached to the screws of 2 AGP/PCI slots.

When my video card's fan died I replaced it with a Zalman heatpipe solution which I think blocks normal instalation of the 6000's fan suspention.

I will have to borrow a dremel and made some case modifications to properly hang the fan. (I wouldn't trust duct tape and dental floss heh).
  4. If we put duct tape on harriers, I'd trust it on computers. LOL.

If I remember correctly I think it just reduces the flow of air, rather than concentrate it. Probably better off just getting a 80mm heatsink and a fan.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."
  5. I've got the Zalman 6500 and had to tweak the fan mount to get it to fit around my Leadtek graphics card. What I did was buy some 1/2" long nylon bushings and longer screws to push the fan mount away from the card. This moves the fan back away from the heat sink a 1/2" but seems to work fine.

Also, depending on your configuration you may be able to actually mount two fans on the bracket..:) I did, but didn't notice much more of a benefit.

My temps are 38-41C at idle and 50-55C at 100% load depending on room temperature...and with the side panel off it will run even cooler.

....WW (5.0)
  6. Ok I ordered the 80 to 60mm converter, but today the original fan got very noisy and I had to yank it out.

So I removed one of my 80 mm case fans and duct tape it to the heatsink. The temp rose to 58 C before I finished :)

It used to idle arround 36 C, now its running at 51 C.

I am running Sandra's Burn in wizard now.

How hot is too hot. When do I have to start worrying that my CPU's lifespan is going to be dimminished?

Also now that all my fans are silent, I the noises from my six hard drive's are bugging me. One has a whine that was being masked by my > 36 db fan.

I am seriously considering buying a fan with a pleasant hum and using a fan controller to adjust it to where it just drowns out the hard drive motors.
  7. How hot is too hot?

Check the AMD website...the info should be there. Intel's site tells me 70C is the max for my P4

....WW (5.0)
  8. I found AMD's whitepaper on my family of CPU's.
    AMD says an XP 2400 can handle up to 85 C.

I guess 2000 RPM, 27 CFM is all I need.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Fan Converter Overclocking