Sign in with
Your question

60 to 80 converter safe solution to a noisy fan?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 8, 2005 12:48:07 PM

I have an XP 2400 cooled with a Taisol CGK760172
60x60x10mm 4800 RPM 21.19 CFM 36.5dB

It wasn't quiet to begin with and its gotten noiser over the years. I want to buy a Zalman 7000 AlCu, but there is no room for it.

I am considering trying a CoolMax 60 to 80 mm converter and adding a quiet 80mm fan. (its sort of like a truncated funnel).

I have an extra Thermaltake Blue Eye.
80 x 80 x 25 mm Sleeve 2000 RPM's (CFM): 27.8 Noise(dBA): 21.

You think that will do the trick or will the conversion lower the CRM from 27.8 to below 21?

If so what CFM 80mm fan would I need to reach 21 CFM when converted to 60 mmm, or is this just a very bad idea.

Do fan manufacturers often exagerate CFM ratings?

Are sleave bearings too risky for a CPU fan? Most of the fans that failed on me were ball bearing fans, so I don't know if they are really more reliable.

Thanks.
February 9, 2005 1:50:47 AM

An 80mm fan with an 80-60mm adaptor should work fairly well. I'm not sure about the cfm reduction. Putting that adaptor on it "shouldn't" reduce the cfm to much.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
February 9, 2005 2:47:48 AM

If I remember correctly, a while back I read that an adapter actually reduces cooling effeciency.

Of course I was looking at 80mm - 120 mm

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."
Related resources
February 9, 2005 3:45:29 AM

sounds like it is worth the risk the converter is cheap, I already have the 80mm fan and I can monitor the CPU temp under full load before and after.

If that fails I will get a Zalman 6000. But it require an unattached fan to be suspended in front of it via an arm attached to the screws of 2 AGP/PCI slots.

When my video card's fan died I replaced it with a Zalman heatpipe solution which I think blocks normal instalation of the 6000's fan suspention.

I will have to borrow a dremel and made some case modifications to properly hang the fan. (I wouldn't trust duct tape and dental floss heh).
February 9, 2005 4:19:17 AM

If we put duct tape on harriers, I'd trust it on computers. LOL.

If I remember correctly I think it just reduces the flow of air, rather than concentrate it. Probably better off just getting a 80mm heatsink and a fan.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."
February 9, 2005 8:06:14 AM

I've got the Zalman 6500 and had to tweak the fan mount to get it to fit around my Leadtek graphics card. What I did was buy some 1/2" long nylon bushings and longer screws to push the fan mount away from the card. This moves the fan back away from the heat sink a 1/2" but seems to work fine.

Also, depending on your configuration you may be able to actually mount two fans on the bracket..:)  I did, but didn't notice much more of a benefit.

My temps are 38-41C at idle and 50-55C at 100% load depending on room temperature...and with the side panel off it will run even cooler.

....WW (5.0)
February 11, 2005 11:13:27 PM

Ok I ordered the 80 to 60mm converter, but today the original fan got very noisy and I had to yank it out.

So I removed one of my 80 mm case fans and duct tape it to the heatsink. The temp rose to 58 C before I finished :) 

It used to idle arround 36 C, now its running at 51 C.

I am running Sandra's Burn in wizard now.

How hot is too hot. When do I have to start worrying that my CPU's lifespan is going to be dimminished?

Also now that all my fans are silent, I the noises from my six hard drive's are bugging me. One has a whine that was being masked by my > 36 db fan.

I am seriously considering buying a fan with a pleasant hum and using a fan controller to adjust it to where it just drowns out the hard drive motors.
February 12, 2005 12:00:15 AM

How hot is too hot?

Check the AMD website...the info should be there. Intel's site tells me 70C is the max for my P4

....WW (5.0)
February 12, 2005 4:23:20 AM

I found AMD's whitepaper on my family of CPU's.
AMD says an XP 2400 can handle up to 85 C.

I guess 2000 RPM, 27 CFM is all I need.
!