water refrigeration system

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
is there an inexpensive way to provide a water regrigeration system after the water goes through the radiator? i think this will improve my overall cooling performance, cuz the limit of the water cooling is the temperature of the room, so i wanna lower the threshold temperature.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Usually people will put their radiator in a minifridge, infront of an air conditioner, outside, etc. Putting a radiator in a fridge or infront of an air conditioner will make them run 24/7. That will in tern make your power bill go sky high. If you are in a moderatly cool area having a radiator physically outside of your house is the way to go, check mine out on my sig :) I always had condensation problems bec it got so damned cold, lol.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Yea, it would probably better if I posted it here :)
You can tell most of the design from the pics I think. I got the radiator for free from my local recycling center; it probably came out of a large dehumidifier or something. I salvaged those fans out of some old all in one Mac LCs, the metal cages were already on them.
I attached the fans to the radiator with a large piece of sheet metal and some sheet metal screws. I used a jigsaw to cut 4 92mm holes in the sheet and folded the edges over the sides of the radiator to form sort of a hood that makes sure all the air is focused to the radiator.
The fans are powered by a 12v ac adaptor (wall wart) that I had laying around. My neighbor gave me the pump; it turned out to be decent enough to keep a good amount of flow going even in that big of system (beckett M200, 185gph pond pump, 110v ac).
Skippy peanut butter jars make damned good reservoirs. I searched and searched for a jar that was just the right size for my pump. As I was eating some crackers and peanut butter one day I sat there staring at the Skippy jar and noticed the top would probably be large enough for my pump to fit in it. I enlisted my whole family to eat peanut butter and soon enough I had an empty jar to work with. Sure enough my pump fit in it perfectly. I then cut holes in the lid for the various tubes and power cord. Here is a pic of what it sort of looks like: <A HREF="http://www.folken.net/pics/mymachine/lid1.JPG" target="_new">test lid</A>. Bec the power cord needed that slit there it made the lid loose all ability to keep a good seal. So I just bought a big hose clamp and that took care of the problem. My outdoor jar has a 3rd hole in it for filling that I just cover with a piece of duck tape :)
The radiator is attached to my house from a couple wood screws on the top and a little right angled piece of metal on the bottom. That one beam on the top is there so that the radiator sits about 2" off the side of the house, that allows adequate air flow. It sort of looks like it is flush with the house in the pic but it defiantly isn't.
The Skippy jar is held in place simply by one big hose clamp and a piece of wood I screwed to a roof frame.
All hose connections on the system are sealed with blue silicon and hose clamps. There is about 30ft of tubing between the radiator and the comp, about 15ft there and back. The tubes and wires just drape along the walls to the computer. I made a long skinny piece of wood with 3 holes in it and put it in my window frame. 2 holes for the tubes and 1 for the power cords. This allows the stuff to easily enter my room and still allows me to close my window. For convenience sake I put quick release self sealing fittings on the computer side of the system so it would be easy to unhook it for maintenance or something.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
thats awsome, but what if i wanted to use a pump or radiator with a bigger diameter like 3/4 or 1 inch hoses, are there water blocks for that size? or do i have to convert. and if i do convert back to 1/2 inch will it decrease my performance alot? cuz i'm looking at some iwaki pumps and most of them are 3/4 inch connectors

<font color=red>One Lowe</font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
My pump actually has a 5/8" outlet. I put a 5/8" to 5/16" (closest size I could find to 8mm) converter on it right at the pump outlet. Most waterblocks have 1/4"(~6.4mm), 3/8"(~9.5mm) and 1/2"(~12.7mm) fittings. There are many others out there though. If you did use converters to go to a different tubing size I would only go from larger to smaller, especially in a large system like an outdoor radiator. I doubt my pump would have been enough if I had used 5/8" or even 1/2" tubing. The 8mm tubing seemed to be just right :) That is the size that all my Innovatek blocks use. You can get any sized fittings you want for Innovatek blocks, I just happen to have the 8mm ones.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
nvm... the fridge won't work. anyway to submerge a radiator into cold liquid?... or will that require a compressor =[ i'm trying to get better performance w/o making an expensive phase cooling system

<font color=red>One Lowe</font color=red> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by masturdebat3rr on 02/18/05 09:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
running it through an ice box? jk.... i would need to buy lots of ice tat way =
You joke, but guess what! I have this very setup running as we speak. I have the lines fished through the wall up into the attic then back down the wall behind my Fridge and this is where the lines come out and into the copper tubing that then goes into the slightly modifed opening that was origianlly for an electric ice maker. Inside the frezzer I have a brilliantly designed coil of copper tubing that feeds in and out of a couple of tupperware dishes that arehave packs of blue ice in them to cool things even more. Then the liquid flow out and back through the wall into the computer room where it then goes into my other resivior which is a WhirlPool water fountain/tap that can be plugged up that also cools.

Now how do you them apples :wink:

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You can submerge it in anything cool. You can also submerge a mother board in mineral oil, but that doesnt exactly apply here. Although I am working on a setup that attaches to the the back of the mobo and allows mineral oil to flow past the hottest spots.

Folken: Im going to market something with this mineral oil business before its over :wink:

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
but it needs good circulation of the "cool" liquid. i have read on xtreme forums that there's such thing as "liquid chill" or something like that... i tooks like a mix between phase and water cooling, i'm very interested in this setup, please help me out. as for that ice box thing, do you have a powerful fridge? cuz i have a spare mini one, and i don't think it's cool(as in cold... not spazzy) enough.

<font color=red>One Lowe</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Most people dont know this and would argue me to the grave saying that I am wrong, but a fridge or freezer cools quicker and uses less energy when they are full of items. A fridge that is half full will use more power than one that is loaded down. It makes sense if you think about it. This is where the blue ice comes into play. Blue Ice has excellent cooling properties so if you have a few bags of the stuff in the freezer it would surprise you how much it helps. My setup is not practical, Folkens however is something to think about.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I just mentioned your name in the Mobo section. Last night I finally began to put together a website. Im about half way through so maybe tonight or in the morning I will have something up. Its sorta rinky dink, but it will do for now.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Did you catch that website that I had posted in the CPU forum? You need to bookmark this one. The Post says something like BOOKMARK ASAP! Check it out.

TRENDING THREADS