Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Tomb Raider issues

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 5, 2013 9:51:28 PM

Hey guys

Anyone else having issues with the latest Tomb Raider?

It keeps dropping out at random

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

More about : tomb raider issues

March 5, 2013 10:57:23 PM

What do you mean dropping out? like turning off?
March 6, 2013 1:20:21 AM

specs would help and is it a legit version?
Related resources
March 6, 2013 8:05:23 AM

i guess it is many people from steam platfor get these random crashes
March 6, 2013 3:11:45 PM

I have a GTX 670 FTW Edition (2GB) and mine was crashing alot when i had it on Ultimate Setting and Triple Buffering. When i turned those down to 'high' setting and 'double buffering' my crashes stopped. Maybe that will help?
March 6, 2013 3:13:38 PM

I've seen posts that show tessellation is the cause for Nvidia users at least.
March 6, 2013 7:19:46 PM

Cheers bud, yeah i've disabled the tessellation and it hasn't crashed since.

To others, yeah its a legit copy from steam and my specs are as follows:

i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 EVO
Asus GTX 670
8gb corsair vengeance

It was just crashing at random parts of the game, but I've turned tessellation now its fine

Thanks again
March 7, 2013 2:26:19 AM

I just got the game a few hours ago. I have played with it with tessellation and TessFX on for at least an hour or 2 without a single crash. However, I am using the 3.10 drivers. I had found I was getting a lot of crashes with newer ones in Skyrim. I wonder if the problem you guys are having is related to the driver version.
March 7, 2013 3:59:42 PM

I play the game with 304.79beta and no crashes beyond early in the game once or twice. My crashes were not video driver related however.

I play with TressFX off. It's just too demanding for my GPU. Otherwise I play primarily on ultra/high settings, but I keep SSAO on normal and Level of Detail on normal. I never drop below 60fps this way. If I bump Level of Detail up to high, I'm usually above 60fps but not always. Never below 50fps with LOD on high though.
March 7, 2013 4:04:46 PM

casualcolors said:
I play the game with 304.79beta and no crashes beyond early in the game once or twice. My crashes were not video driver related however.

I play with TressFX off. It's just too demanding for my GPU. Otherwise I play primarily on ultra/high settings, but I keep SSAO on normal and Level of Detail on normal. I never drop below 60fps this way. If I bump Level of Detail up to high, I'm usually above 60fps but not always. Never below 50fps with LOD on high though.


After my first couple hours, I've switch to 3D Vision. I play without post processing, no TressFX or tessellation. I get a solid 60 FPS that way. The game is pretty awesome so far and this is definitely the best looking Laura they've done. I always disliked the jumbo implants and they really did a great job giving her great expressions in this one.
March 7, 2013 8:22:35 PM

bystander said:
After my first couple hours, I've switch to 3D Vision. I play without post processing, no TressFX or tessellation. I get a solid 60 FPS that way. The game is pretty awesome so far and this is definitely the best looking Laura they've done. I always disliked the jumbo implants and they really did a great job giving her great expressions in this one.


Yeah. I think the long and short of it is that they really didn't screw this up. Their goal was to breathe some new life into the franchise and they definitely did that. I'd go so far as to say that I've enjoyed this just as much as I enjoyed Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider 2 in their day.
March 7, 2013 9:22:31 PM

tressfx is an amd only feature turning it on on nvidia based cards is like trying to use physx on amd cards. it will murder your performance.
basically if you dont own a gaming evolved branded card dont use it.
my 5870 will easily run the game at high settings with tressfx on while a 570 will crumple. im not sure how they did it but it is gpu based physics specific to amd gfx equipped systems.
March 7, 2013 9:59:48 PM

Either OpenCL or DirectCompute, which Nvidia ignored/crippled while AMD didn't.
March 7, 2013 10:00:14 PM

HEXiT said:
tressfx is an amd only feature turning it on on nvidia based cards is like trying to use physx on amd cards. it will murder your performance.
basically if you dont own a gaming evolved branded card dont use it.
my 5870 will easily run the game at high settings with tressfx on while a 570 will crumple. im not sure how they did it but it is gpu based physics specific to amd gfx equipped systems.


I get 50+ FPS with TressFX and tessellation on, everything turned to max while using FXAA rather than SSAA while in 2D. It is definitely playable with nvidia, but it likely would do better on AMD. However, all the cutscenes/movies do not use TressFX, and her hair looks fair too clean and out of place for what is going on.

All that said, 3D Vision requires more power, so I turn it off.

TressFX uses OpenCL or DirectCompute, which is on both brands, but Nvidia definitely hasn't given it much power on their cards after this series, but it is still there. It's not exactly the same deal as PhysX.

EDIT: The 570 does DirectCompute quite well, better than a 5870, so it should do great with TressFX. The 560ti might not do so well, since that one has less support for DirectCompute/OpenCL.
March 8, 2013 3:52:34 AM

HEXiT said:
tressfx is an amd only feature turning it on on nvidia based cards is like trying to use physx on amd cards. it will murder your performance.
basically if you dont own a gaming evolved branded card dont use it.
my 5870 will easily run the game at high settings with tressfx on while a 570 will crumple. im not sure how they did it but it is gpu based physics specific to amd gfx equipped systems.


It's Directcompute, which isn't AMD only, but Nvidia chose not to support very well since it competes with Physx.
March 8, 2013 6:06:51 AM

well tell that to amd. there the 1s saying it works better on there hardware than on nvidia. they made the claim it was an amd gaming evolved only feature...
the fps hit i get when its on is something like 10 fps from 58 down to 48 but there are still issues as my minimum fps on the benchmarl was 1.39 even though i didnt see any stutter or fps droop with fraps.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/
March 8, 2013 6:45:41 AM

hello friend,
I have one big problem in tombraider2013
after completing first stage of it.it give me fatal error and then crash
please help me.
my config
i3 cpu540
asus gtx560ti
4gb ram
March 8, 2013 6:57:04 AM

HEXiT said:
well tell that to amd. there the 1s saying it works better on there hardware than on nvidia. they made the claim it was an amd gaming evolved only feature...
the fps hit i get when its on is something like 10 fps from 58 down to 48 but there are still issues as my minimum fps on the benchmarl was 1.39 even though i didnt see any stutter or fps droop with fraps.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/


It does work better on their hardware than on Nvidia, for the reason I just posted. :p 
March 8, 2013 9:12:43 AM

its only gonna get worse for nvidia owners by the looks of it. seemingly at least half a dozen high end devs and e.a have abandoned nvidia, claims of amd being more open in there approach after some older employees went to intel seems to have sparked a surge toward amd because there trying to innovate. me thinks it has a lot to do with ps4 and xpox having amd gfx rather than nvidias lack of innovation. nvidia basically said there aim is the high end tessla market rather than gaming for the time being.
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/3/6/tomb-raid...
March 8, 2013 9:53:09 AM

HEXiT said:
its only gonna get worse for nvidia owners by the looks of it. seemingly at least half a dozen high end devs and e.a have abandoned nvidia, claims of amd being more open in there approach after some older employees went to intel seems to have sparked a surge toward amd because there trying to innovate. me thinks it has a lot to do with ps4 and xpox having amd gfx rather than nvidias lack of innovation. nvidia basically said there aim is the high end tessla market rather than gaming for the time being.
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/3/6/tomb-raid...


Fortunately, Nvidia always has the option of doing exactly what AMD does. Directcompute is something that Nvidia cards are perfectly capable of, and if its support becomes essentially mandatory with the increased implementation of AMD products in the console market, they have the option to adapt. Of course, this all hinges on whether or not the new consoles will be powerful enough to take advantage of some of the features Directcompute is capable of offering. As it stands, we can only speculate about that.
March 8, 2013 1:55:01 PM

HEXiT said:
well tell that to amd. there the 1s saying it works better on there hardware than on nvidia. they made the claim it was an amd gaming evolved only feature...
the fps hit i get when its on is something like 10 fps from 58 down to 48 but there are still issues as my minimum fps on the benchmarl was 1.39 even though i didnt see any stutter or fps droop with fraps.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

DirectCompute is on Nvidia cards, but Nvidia has started to move away from it, but not completely. At least not yet. However, the 580, 570, 480 and 470, were not crippled in that area. They perform DirectCompute quite well. The 600 series is weaker at it, but like I said, I can play at maxed setting with 50+ FPS. I've only run into one spot that seemed to have a major CPU bottleneck. No matter what settings I used, even with everything turned down, I got the same FPS when looking at this one direction in one area.
March 8, 2013 3:41:40 PM

Bystander, you were right. All i did was turn that tessellation off and put it back on Ultimate and Triple Buffering, never saw the crashes again. I even restarted back to the beginning. :) 
March 8, 2013 3:44:08 PM

Angelz said:
Bystander, you were right. All i did was turn that tessellation off and put it back on Ultimate and Triple Buffering, never saw the crashes again. I even restarted back to the beginning. :) 

How long into the game did you get before the crashing had started and what version of driver do you use? I never had crashes with drivers 3.10, but I only played it about 2 hours before turning it off in favor of 3D Vision.
March 8, 2013 4:24:08 PM

on highest possible settings minus tessellation off, all the way up to the part where you see the stranded pilot in the distance using the SOS Smoke. Not one crash. I am using the 314.07 driver. this is with the EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GTX 670 FTW.
March 8, 2013 4:30:01 PM

I was having troubles with that driver in other games, so I rolled back. I wonder if it would not be an issue with 3.10 with tessellation on.
!