Maximum Hard Drive Size?

Scott

I'm thinking of putting a 200GB WD hard drive into a 4-year old
E-3400 with 700MHz chip. Does Win 98 SE have any limitation
on the size of the hard drive?

Thanks!
Scott

You're going to need a controller card to run the drive, in which case, the
support of it depends on the card's BIOS and drivers.

The only versions of Windows that support large drives are 2000 SP4 and XP
SP1, and since your system BIOS won't support a 48-bit LBA, you'll need a
controller card that does.

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of putting a 200GB WD hard drive into a 4-year old
> E-3400 with 700MHz chip. Does Win 98 SE have any limitation
> on the size of the hard drive?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Edward,

OK, I've used Promise Ultra Controller cards before with excellent results.

Thanks!
Scott

"Edward J. Neth" wrote:

> You're going to need a controller card to run the drive, in which case, the
> support of it depends on the card's BIOS and drivers.
>
> The only versions of Windows that support large drives are 2000 SP4 and XP
> SP1, and since your system BIOS won't support a 48-bit LBA, you'll need a
> controller card that does.
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > I'm thinking of putting a 200GB WD hard drive into a 4-year old
> > E-3400 with 700MHz chip. Does Win 98 SE have any limitation
> > on the size of the hard drive?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

Scott

Edward,

I checked out the Promise website, and I'm a little confused.

I think my E-3400 has a bus clock] speed of 100 megahertz, yet
Promise talks about "66 MHz PCI bus support" with the 2-Port Serial
ATA/150 Controller plus 1 Ultra ATA/133 Channel with Large LBA
mode support for drives larger than 127 GB.

Am I looking at the right kind of controller card for my system?

Thanks!
Scott