trouble getting pc version of VC to run

I bought vice city from best buy the other day and it wouldn't run. Has
anyone else had this problem with the PC version of the game? It just sits
there and does not load or anything.

Dave

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:59:03 +0000, dcbryan wrote:

> I bought vice city from best buy the other day and it wouldn't run. Has
> anyone else had this problem with the PC version of the game? It just
> sits there and does not load or anything.

have you tried loading it on another p.c.?

bryan wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:59:03 +0000, dcbryan wrote:
>
> > I bought vice city from best buy the other day and it wouldn't run. Has
> > anyone else had this problem with the PC version of the game? It just
> > sits there and does not load or anything.
>
> have you tried loading it on another p.c.?

I was just wondering if it has to be in a dvd drive? I don't own the
game but I accidentally put dvd SA in the cd drive when running San
Andreas radio and of course it did nothing, not even attempting to
read.
--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look

double-check your system requirements.... also see if you can get it to run
on another machine.... if all else fails... i believe there's a help line #
in the packaging for vice city.

p.s. there are two discs... did you put the start disc in? or the play disc
in.

cheers!
Doc

"dcbryan" <dcjunkbryan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I bought vice city from best buy the other day and it wouldn't run. Has
>anyone else had this problem with the PC version of the game? It just sits
>there and does not load or anything.
>
> Dave

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:43:17 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:

> bryan wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:59:03 +0000, dcbryan wrote:
>>
>> > I bought vice city from best buy the other day and it wouldn't run.
>> > Has anyone else had this problem with the PC version of the game? It
>> > just sits there and does not load or anything.
>>
>> have you tried loading it on another p.c.?
>
> I was just wondering if it has to be in a dvd drive?

my version for the p.c. came on cd.

did the double pack (gta iii and vice city) come on dvd?

bryan wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:43:17 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:
>
> > bryan wrote:

> >> have you tried loading it on another p.c.?
> >
> > I was just wondering if it has to be in a dvd drive?
>
> my version for the p.c. came on cd.
>
> did the double pack (gta iii and vice city) come on dvd?

no idea. I don't own any pc versions of the game, it was just a thunk.
--

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:28:15 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:

> bryan wrote:

>> > I was just wondering if it has to be in a dvd drive?
>>
>> my version for the p.c. came on cd.
>>
>> did the double pack (gta iii and vice city) come on dvd?
>
> no idea. I don't own any pc versions of the game, it was just a thunk.

if it works on another p.c., then the o.p.'s cd/dvd-rom drive may be
kaput. if it doesn't, then the disc may be faulty.

No, this is the only pc I have that meets the system requirements
Dave
"bryan" <bryan@rimmer.red-dwarf.lan> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:59:03 +0000, dcbryan wrote:
>
>> I bought vice city from best buy the other day and it wouldn't run. Has
>> anyone else had this problem with the PC version of the game? It just
>> sits there and does not load or anything.
>
> have you tried loading it on another p.c.?

I have used a DVD drive, a DVD burner and a CD burner and it won't run in
any of them. It loads like it wants to play but after I insert the play CD,
it just sits there and doesn't seem to want to do anything.
Dave
"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
bryan wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:59:03 +0000, dcbryan wrote:
>
> > I bought vice city from best buy the other day and it wouldn't run. Has
> > anyone else had this problem with the PC version of the game? It just
> > sits there and does not load or anything.
>
> have you tried loading it on another p.c.?

I was just wondering if it has to be in a dvd drive? I don't own the
game but I accidentally put dvd SA in the cd drive when running San
Andreas radio and of course it did nothing, not even attempting to
read.
--
Paul (That's what keeps me down)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Well since I have tried it in 3 different drives, I don't think the drive is
faulty. I have taken the game back to Best Buy and exchanged it and the
second disc is doing the same thing as the first disc.
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:28:15 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:
>
>> bryan wrote:

>>> my version for the p.c. came on cd.
>>>
>>> did the double pack (gta iii and vice city) come on dvd?
>>
>> no idea. I don't own any pc versions of the game, it was just a thunk.
>
> if it works on another p.c., then the o.p.'s cd/dvd-rom drive may be
> kaput. if it doesn't, then the disc may be faulty.

Yes, I know there are two discs, My system requirements are better than the
suggested requirements. My other machine is a laptop with 98 on it and a
processor that is too slow according to the sys req. I have called the help
line and they had me try a few things and nothing worked, They suggested
returning it for an exchange which I have done and still have the same
problem. I put the play disc in and it does not play the game. I thought I
might ask here in case someone else has had the same problem and knew a fix
for it. Sometime people at the helpdesk do not know how to help whereas
other game players do. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will call the
help desk back again and let them know the second game is not working either
and see where we can go from there.

Dave

dcbryan wrote:

> I have used a DVD drive, a DVD burner and a CD burner and it won't run in
> any of them. It loads like it wants to play but after I insert the play CD,
> it just sits there and doesn't seem to want to do anything.
> Dave

sometimes it's a compatibility thing, specially with older games, but
i would expect it to at least try to look at it

--

In message <xL00e.10414$fn3.7968@attbi_s01>
"dcbryan" <dcjunkbryan@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I was just wondering if it has to be in a dvd drive? I don't own the
> game but I accidentally put dvd SA in the cd drive when running San
> Andreas radio and of course it did nothing, not even attempting to
> read.

I've got a feeling it's the drive. On my machine running Windows XP any
foreign (ie: unrecognised) CD type that's read by either drive brings
up a list of programs to try and run it.

With San Andreas radio if you load it before putting the SA disk in the
drive it'll prompt you when you try and play a song. This is the same
with both drives, a PlexWriter (Than can read and write laser discs)
and a DVD re-writer (Everything else).

Cheers,
Rob

Well it does that when I put it in... asks what program I want to use to
play the sound files, but the disc itself only has a folder with sound files
in it and then some sort of data file that doesn't do anything.

Dave

dcbryan wrote:

> Well it does that when I put it in... asks what program I want to use to
> play the sound files, but the disc itself only has a folder with sound files
> in it and then some sort of data file that doesn't do anything.

You can't see the files on the drive, just listed by the program. I'm
trying to recall if it's best to have the program running before
putting the disc in the drive or vice versa.