Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer blue screens

Last response: in Windows 7
November 8, 2010 9:34:21 AM

Hi everyone,
I am having a problem where my computer running Windows 7 64 bit keeps blue screening while starting up. Sometimes it'll start up just fine but then it'll freeze after running for a while.
I've had this computer for over a year and the air circulation is fine. Speedfan hasn't shown temperatures above 50c anytime unless I'm running a demanding game then a couple of sensors will go up to 55c. I'm not sure if this would matter but when I'm running Windows 7, Avast is unable to connect to a server to download updates while it worked fine before. Also Windows Defender always freezes while starting up so I'm thinking it has something to do with viruses.
I've heard something about how you can upload blue screen error logs to see what actually caused it to blue screen, how would I go about doing that?
It used to blue screen a lot worse where I couldn't even boot up into Windows 7, when I booted up Windows XP I ran a virus scan and after it removed some threats it started working a little better. I have Windows XP installed on another hard drive so I'm running that right now.

Thanks for your time

More about : computer blue screens

a b $ Windows 7
November 8, 2010 9:54:32 AM

Set Windows 7 to Write System Events When a BSOD Occurs

The problem with Avast not being able to reach a server for updates has me concerned you might have a rootkit infection.
You can try running the free Sophos Anti-Rootkit program
You'll install the program onto a bootable CD/DVD to bypass a possibly infected operating system. Check the Sophos Anti-Rootkit User manual for installation info.
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2010 10:03:26 AM

I can boot into safe mode just fine. Right now I'm running the malicious software removal tool. I'll try that anti root program afterwards. Thanks for your quick reply and I'll post back after I've done your suggestions.

I ran the MRT thing and it didn't find anything. I just got home from work and am going to install the sophos thing to a cd
m
l
November 9, 2010 8:43:56 AM

WR2 said:
Set Windows 7 to Write System Events When a BSOD Occurs

The problem with Avast not being able to reach a server for updates has me concerned you might have a rootkit infection.
You can try running the free Sophos Anti-Rootkit program
You'll install the program onto a bootable CD/DVD to bypass a possibly infected operating system. Check the Sophos Anti-Rootkit User manual for installation info.

Ok I downloaded the file it ran a scan but didn't find anything that should be removed. How do I put it on a cd?
m
l
November 9, 2010 5:19:55 PM

Run memtest86+ and check for errors.
Is it stable in memtest86+ or does it reboot?
m
l
November 9, 2010 5:47:13 PM

evongugg said:
Run memtest86+ and check for errors.
Is it stable in memtest86+ or does it reboot?

How do I run that?
m
l

Best solution

November 10, 2010 11:42:59 AM

Download the iso from:

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.is...

Burn it to a CD. Change the boot order. Boot from the CD and it will automatically run.
December 10, 2010 4:33:12 PM

Best answer selected by sazkion.
m
l
!