Sign in with
Your question

Ps3 on computer monitor and speakers

Last response: in Video Games
March 6, 2013 4:45:04 PM

I am thinking of picking up a ps3 sometime soon but first I need to know if I can play it like I do with my xbox through a pc monitor using a vga cable actually made for it (by Microsoft) and some adaptors so the two red and white audio cables (is it called composite or something?) can be used to play the sounds through my computers nice large speakers

can you do this on the ps3 without buying something that might not work from hong kong off ebay?

i would also prefer any solution to use VGA (or dvi because you can get dvi-vga adaptors that actually work) because i only have one monitor that uses HDMI and i cannot really put that one in my room due to it not actually being mine
March 19, 2013 6:20:37 AM

Speakers? Yes, see the other thread you posted on here. VGA? You're in for a bit of trouble there. DVI = digital signal, HDMI = digital signal, VGA = analog signal. Since HDMI and DVI are the exact same signal its rather simple to put them together via cables or adapters (note: PS3 does not like adapters). Getting HDMI to VGA is another mater. As I'm almost certain you will need a box like this.

Are you certain that your monitor does not have a DVI port? (couldn't quite tell from your post)
March 19, 2013 8:33:47 AM

the monitor on my main computer has HDMI and VGA (I need to use an adaptor for my computer because the graphics card does not have VGA only DI and HDMI)
I found out that I can set the PS3 to send sound through RCA and visual through HDMI
this means I can use a ps3 on my main monitor but this is not exactly what I was after because I generally do console gaming on a different monitor (there is no where to safely put consoles to have them use the main computers monitor)
Related resources
March 19, 2013 7:15:40 PM

Tibbs01 said:
Something like this would work http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-2q-49-en-70-2jp6.ht...

Hmm it might, I've never had much luck, and hence not much experience, with 3rd party all-in-one adapters. Worth a try though I'd bet. Just make sure that they have an "open box" return policy.

So back to monitors, Heero yuy. You have 2 monitors: (1) with hdmi and vga, and (2) with just vga? And if possible you want to hook it up to the vga only monitor, as there is no safe place to put the PS3 next to the one with hdmi?

If that's correct then I would suggest looking into what Tibbs01 linked you, or simply invest in a small table?
March 20, 2013 9:51:54 AM

heero yuy said:
I have a question
I can use an adaptor to plug a vga cable into my graphics cards DVI socket
can I use one of these
http://www.ebuyer.com/338305-startech-hdmi-to-dvi-d-cab...
or one of these (I don't know the difference between dvi-d and dvi to be honest)
http://www.ebuyer.com/130512-plexus-gold-plated-hdmi-to...
and then use a dvi to vga adapter? or would the ps3 suffer from a mental breakdown

I know for a fact that the HDMI to DVI cable will work. Adding a DVI to VGA adapter to the mix..... The PS3 hates adapters in general, however I can't say that it wouldn't work with any certainty.

My monitor is an LG Flatron (which the PS3 has issues with) as such I can't test this for you at the moment. I'll see what I can find out, or try and test this at a friends in the next few days. But I'd implore anyone who knows for sure to post in the meantime.
March 20, 2013 2:06:23 PM

The only issue you will have using the hdmi to dvi adapter is that your sound out becomes limited to only the optical out of the ps3 unless you pick up an hdmi to dvi cable that has an audio splitter included (they exist but are just more expensive). I use an hdmi to dvi adapter in my set up, but my amplifier I use to run my speakers has an optical input, but most pc desktop speakers which it sounds like you have do not have an optical input, so you will need to also get an optical to rca splitter or whatever input your desktop speakers have.
!