About 1 year ago I purchased Fortron Aurora 350W Power Supply to reduce the
noise made by the OEM fan supplied in my Gateway. Recently I began hearing
intermittent grinding noise from the power supply fan and contacted
QuietPCUSA. They shipped me a Q-Technology 350W Gold Series Power Supply
which I installed without difficulty.

On powering up the system I saw a message stating that the system
configuration had changed and that I would need to reactivate Windows. I
used the system throughout the day noting that the new power supply was
louder than the previous Fortron, and that the motherboard temp (monitored
by MotherBoard Monitor 5) was running around 122, as opposed to the 105 with
the Fortron system.

This system is a Gateway 700xl that is configured with 2 SATA drives and 2
optical drives, a CDRW & a DVDRW drive. On powering up with the new system I
noticed that the CDRW drive was being identified as a SCSI drive (it's IDE
of course) and didn't work. The DVD-RW drive works fine.

I have tried a variety of measures to make this work:

1.. Problem persists after exchanging the IDE cable
2.. Removed battery from the board and replaced it without effect
3.. Purchased a new CDRW drive which was not identified by the BIOS at
all.
4.. Switched out the CDRW with one from another computer in my home;
system won't boot without error message stating that there is no CD/DVD
drive detected in the system
5.. DVDRW drive works from either position on the IDE cable
6.. Have switched master/slave/cable select settings on the drive without
any benefit
7.. CDRW drive reported as not working on the Gateway works fine in my 2nd
computer

The system functions perfectly with the exception of its' only recognizing
the one DVD-RW drive. Everything is otherwise functioning normally and I
have switched back to the old power supply.

I think that the new power supply may have done something to the motherboard
onboard IDE controller. Unless something else occurs to me, will plan on
replacing the mobo next week.

Try clearing the CMOS before you replace any hardware.

"Jon Morris" <jbmorris@comcast.net> wrote in message
> About 1 year ago I purchased Fortron Aurora 350W Power Supply to reduce
the
> noise made by the OEM fan supplied in my Gateway. Recently I began hearing
> intermittent grinding noise from the power supply fan and contacted
> QuietPCUSA. They shipped me a Q-Technology 350W Gold Series Power Supply
> which I installed without difficulty.
>

> On powering up the system I saw a message stating that the system
> configuration had changed and that I would need to reactivate Windows. I
> used the system throughout the day noting that the new power supply was
> louder than the previous Fortron, and that the motherboard temp (monitored
> by MotherBoard Monitor 5) was running around 122, as opposed to the 105
with
> the Fortron system.
>

> This system is a Gateway 700xl that is configured with 2 SATA drives and 2
> optical drives, a CDRW & a DVDRW drive. On powering up with the new system
> noticed that the CDRW drive was being identified as a SCSI drive (it's IDE
> of course) and didn't work. The DVD-RW drive works fine.
>

> I have tried a variety of measures to make this work:
>
> 1.. Problem persists after exchanging the IDE cable
> 2.. Removed battery from the board and replaced it without effect
> 3.. Purchased a new CDRW drive which was not identified by the BIOS at
> all.
> 4.. Switched out the CDRW with one from another computer in my home;
> system won't boot without error message stating that there is no CD/DVD
> drive detected in the system
> 5.. DVDRW drive works from either position on the IDE cable
> 6.. Have switched master/slave/cable select settings on the drive
without
> any benefit
> 7.. CDRW drive reported as not working on the Gateway works fine in my
2nd
> computer
>

> The system functions perfectly with the exception of its' only recognizing
> the one DVD-RW drive. Everything is otherwise functioning normally and I
> have switched back to the old power supply.
>

> I think that the new power supply may have done something to the
motherboard
> onboard IDE controller. Unless something else occurs to me, will plan on
> replacing the mobo next week.

tried that, thanks,