Asetek WaterChill - any good?

Im looking at water cooling for all my computer (for cpu, chipset and video) and for future overclocking (i might buy a Prescott 3.2 or 3.4 s478, my 2.6 is a dud - it barely reaches 3.125ghz at 1.6v with stock cooling), is the Asetek Waterchill anygood? Current system:

Intel P4 2.6c S478 + Stock Alloy HSF
Albatron i865 Mobo
Nvidia GeForce6 6600GT 128mb AGP
1x512mb DDR400 Kingmax TBGA

Im also wondering - how much heat does the the bridge chip on the Geforce6 6600gt AGP output? My card is a Pixelview, it comes with one large hsf and one small slow fan (quiet tho), would a small passive cooler be sufficent to cool it? What about a small ram heatsink?

I was thinking of using 4 8cm fans in the case all at low speed using my fan controller - would that be sufficent to cool the bridge and all other components?

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
asetek waterchill is a pretty good kit for beginners, but if you want more performance or cheaper prices, it is better to build it yourself. the bridge chip on the 6600GT is not ultra hot, it will survive with a heatsink and good air circulation. the 4 80mm fans will work, but be sure to set them up correctly (ie. 2 intake, 2 exhaust). if you are dishing out more heat, then just crank the settings up, it shouldn't that that much louder for 80mm fans. on a side note, be sure to put your wires in a good position or tie them up to give more air flow which in end will provide better cooling.

<font color=red>One Lowe</font color=red>

My case currently has 2 of those special front fans (not really special but those "double layer" fans - 2 layers of fins) and 2 decent rear fans, aswell as the fan on the coolermaser aerogate II and the hdd bay, im planning to (if posible) to set all the fans on the "case" channel (the 4 8cm fans) to the slowest setting - would that be sufficent air flow to cool the system? as for the bridge chip for my video card - how big would the passive cooler have to be? eg would a tsop ram sink (with thermal tape) do it? or a larger sink for 2xbga modules do it better?

Also - would arctic silver improve cooling with water cooling? if so by how much? currently im using crappy "unick" white goop - i bet its really bad... oh well.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
yes, artic silver will improve your contact with your chip, but don't expect a giant leap in performance. the heat sink for the bridge chip doesn't have to be over sized, but don't buy a puny one either. as you notice, on the stock cooler, the heatsink isn't that big, so don't go overboard here. also, the 6600GT runs much cooler then the 6800GT and ultra, so you don't have to worry that much about cooling that card

<font color=red>One Lowe</font color=red>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I have the asetek KT12-L30, I would definatly recommend it. The performance is more than acceptable, the antarctica water block is sposed to be one of the best out there (came out about 2weeks after I got my kit, dag nabbit).
Buying an asetek kit sorts out a lot of problems, like deciding how the kit will start when u turn on the computer and such like. + it was a piece of piss to install (once I had drilled holes in the top of my case and fixed the radiator/fans in place).