Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windoes XP mode for "older" games

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 7, 2013 7:36:42 PM

Hi,

I have some older games (Diablo II, Heros of Might and Magic 3, SimCity 3000) that were designed for OSs of 98/95. I currently have Win7 64 Ultimate and wanted to ask you all, if i download the "WindowsXP mode" from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.as...

Once i download/install this, will I be able to run these "more aged" games, like the ones listed above.

Before people start saying use VirtualBox, I have tried to install these games on a 98se build as well as an XP build and the program will not run.

Thanks for your help
March 8, 2013 7:52:58 PM

That Windows XP mode is only for productivity software (it stated on the website). It completely lacks DirectX support. So no graphics and no sound.
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 8:05:48 PM

Not sure about your other games but Diablo II runs fine on Win7 x64
m
0
l
Related resources
March 18, 2013 9:29:35 AM

I was able to get SimCity 3000 working on my win7 x64 without the need of any other software. so looks like that's one last headache to worry about and a good game to play when the internet is not working....(sorry had to jab at EA's always on DRM BS)
m
0
l
March 18, 2013 10:50:46 AM

mox141 said:
I was able to get SimCity 3000 working on my win7 x64 without the need of any other software. so looks like that's one last headache to worry about and a good game to play when the internet is not working....(sorry had to jab at EA's always on DRM BS)






I would suggest to simply dual boot, or use a different virtual machine like WmWare
m
0
l
March 22, 2013 1:22:24 AM

managed to get 2/3 of old xp and some 98/95 game running ok on win 7 64 bit - rest all work perfectly with vm ware - but took some patience to get it up and running.
m
0
l
April 16, 2013 1:11:43 AM

just go on d icon of ur game right click on it and select compatibility on windows xp
m
0
l
April 16, 2013 3:36:00 AM

I tried that pazdindalel - some games work - some don't. Those that do fine but for those that don't then VMware works no problems. I can get some old games to work on win 7 laptop but not on the win 7 desktop and vice versa, even with all setting identical.
m
0
l
April 16, 2013 11:53:18 AM

Dual-boot will most likely be the way i have to go for games that do not want to run on win7. somehow the VMware does not like me and will not run any types of games.
m
0
l
April 23, 2013 7:37:27 AM

Have to tried to right-click on the shortcut and under Properties used the "Compatibility" tab to use that type of compatibility mode?
m
0
l
April 23, 2013 4:20:54 PM

DJRWolf said:
Have to tried to right-click on the shortcut and under Properties used the "Compatibility" tab to use that type of compatibility mode?


Are you taling about the game or the VirtualBox program?
m
0
l
April 23, 2013 5:27:02 PM

mox141 said:
DJRWolf said:
Have to tried to right-click on the shortcut and under Properties used the "Compatibility" tab to use that type of compatibility mode?


Are you taling about the game or the VirtualBox program?


On the start menu/desktop shortcut to the game.
m
0
l
!