Solved

Portal 1 issue

OK, so when I play the game, I sometimes like to go to the desktop(ctrl+esc), when I click on the icon to reopen the game, it makes some sound, then never loads. So I need to ctrl+alt+delete to close it.

Help
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about portal issue
  1. Control+escape? You mean alt+tab?
    Moto
  2. NO,ctrl+esc
  3. Maybe a graphics driver issue, make sure everythings updated, if not then a repair/reinstall of Portal
    Moto
  4. I already got my driver updated.
  5. Check how much ram is utilized when the game is minimized.
  6. Andrew Johnson said:
    Check how much ram is utilized when the game is minimized.

1.80GB but 1.60GB is normal. I got 8GB of ram
  7. It wouldn't be the first game to crash when you alt+tab. I remember a few where alt tabbing was a risk.
  8. bruniss said:
    It wouldn't be the first game to crash when you alt+tab. I remember a few where alt tabbing was a risk.

Yea, I use ctrl+esc to leave the game,shift+tab opens the steam overlay. The one comment confused me but I do use ctrl+esc.

I can see what you mean because it's an old game.
  9. In fact, is I recall correctly all games made with the Source engine (except for CS:GO) had crashing issues when alt tabbing back to windows. I remember Half Life 2 giving me this sort of problems...ohhh what a headache
  10. "In fact, is I recall correctly all games made with the Source engine (except for CS:GO) had crashing issues when alt tabbing back to windows. I remember Half Life 2 giving me this sort of problems...ohhh what a headache" Bruniss

Thanks, I thought it was just me. I guess I'll just deal with it.
  11. Best answer
    try pausing the game before tabing out...
    also ctrl esc isnt the ideal way. either alt- return to window the game or alt-tab to jump to the desktop.
    pressing the esc key will often bring up a menu of some sort or an overlay that is being interrupted when you skip to the desktop so choose another method if you can.
    most games will let you pause and then do jump to desktop and then let you return as the game is paused so wont be doing calcs that may be getting lost/corrupted when you tab out.
  12. HEXiT said:
    try pausing the game before tabing out...
    also ctrl esc isnt the ideal way. either alt- return to window the game or alt-tab to jump to the desktop.
    pressing the esc key will often bring up a menu of some sort or an overlay that is being interrupted when you skip to the desktop so choose another method if you can.
    most games will let you pause and then do jump to desktop and then let you return as the game is paused so wont be doing calcs that may be getting lost/corrupted when you tab out.

Thanks, for the new commands but the game still crashes when I re-open it.
  13. bruniss said:
    In fact, is I recall correctly all games made with the Source engine (except for CS:GO) had crashing issues when alt tabbing back to windows. I remember Half Life 2 giving me this sort of problems...ohhh what a headache

+1
    Happens to me in most Source games. Especially Portal and Black Mesa.
  14. jessterman21 said:
    bruniss said:
    In fact, is I recall correctly all games made with the Source engine (except for CS:GO) had crashing issues when alt tabbing back to windows. I remember Half Life 2 giving me this sort of problems...ohhh what a headache

+1
    Happens to me in most Source games. Especially Portal and Black Mesa.

Yeah, I don't know what happened with this engine :S
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Games Desktops Portal Video Games