Portal 1 issue

js111410

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
OK, so when I play the game, I sometimes like to go to the desktop(ctrl+esc), when I click on the icon to reopen the game, it makes some sound, then never loads. So I need to ctrl+alt+delete to close it.

Help

Solution
try pausing the game before tabing out...
also ctrl esc isnt the ideal way. either alt- return to window the game or alt-tab to jump to the desktop.
pressing the esc key will often bring up a menu of some sort or an overlay that is being interrupted when you skip to the desktop so choose another method if you can.
most games will let you pause and then do jump to desktop and then let you return as the game is paused so wont be doing calcs that may be getting lost/corrupted when you tab out.

js111410

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Yea, I use ctrl+esc to leave the game,shift+tab opens the steam overlay. The one comment confused me but I do use ctrl+esc.

I can see what you mean because it's an old game.

bruniss

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
In fact, is I recall correctly all games made with the Source engine (except for CS:GO) had crashing issues when alt tabbing back to windows. I remember Half Life 2 giving me this sort of problems...ohhh what a headache

js111410

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
"In fact, is I recall correctly all games made with the Source engine (except for CS:GO) had crashing issues when alt tabbing back to windows. I remember Half Life 2 giving me this sort of problems...ohhh what a headache" Bruniss

Thanks, I thought it was just me. I guess I'll just deal with it.

try pausing the game before tabing out...
also ctrl esc isnt the ideal way. either alt- return to window the game or alt-tab to jump to the desktop.
pressing the esc key will often bring up a menu of some sort or an overlay that is being interrupted when you skip to the desktop so choose another method if you can.
most games will let you pause and then do jump to desktop and then let you return as the game is paused so wont be doing calcs that may be getting lost/corrupted when you tab out.

Solution

js111410

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Thanks, for the new commands but the game still crashes when I re-open it.

+1
Happens to me in most Source games. Especially Portal and Black Mesa.

bruniss

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I don't know what happened with this engine :S