Gonna sound weird but... Underclocking??

KamiKaze1988

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2005
This is gonna sound weird but I need to slow down my computer,
My computer is in a 3m by 4m room and it heats it up incredibly quick, I have a liquid cooling kit installed on my cpu but all that does is allow more heat to be put into my room, Now you may be thinking that I'm a nutter for wanting to slow my computer down but at night and most the day it's just downloading at 4KB/s from bittorrent - I am sure I don't need 2.8Ghz of P4 power and 2 spinning hard drives for that

What I need is a simple way to disable parts of my computer and to slow down the processor, Perhaps a program that puts the computer into a state of near hibernation

Can anyone help?

Open a window? :lol:

Underclocking is a good idea. If you change the bus speed (FSB) in the bios from what ever is it down to 100Mhz (or the lowest it will go) and decrease the Vcore (test at each increment down for stability until you find the lowest value it will go to) - you will end up with a much cooler, and slower PC.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Go to <A HREF="http://www.cpuz.com" target="_new">CPUZ.com</A> and download the progrma clockgen, I use it to dynamically control my CPU between 1200mhz and 2500mhz. Read the readme file and it'll show you how. Since you're using a P4, I'd recommend at least 1500mhz.

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
not to flame or anything...but you are complaining about your processor needing to be underclocked because you are only downloading 4 kb/s on bittorrent? I have a 3200+ 90nm A64 and I could download the same speed while on the same connection as a person with like..... a 2.0 ghz p4 A...that's really more dependent on your connection, not your processor. However, heat is an issue, yes

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
No you don't understand, he says he doesn't need that speed, which I totally agree I do the same thing, turning it down to 1.0-1.5Ghz is all you need to operate WindowsXP plus a few small downloading aps.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Dang just for Dling Id just get an old Optiplex machine with P3 CPU. They make killer DL bitches.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if it were me i would just pump the hot air out of the room, into the attic or somthing.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>