Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mod to make simcity5 offline only?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 8, 2013 2:15:08 AM

Does anyone know if any modders are working on this?
March 8, 2013 3:22:44 AM

This isn't the place for this sort of request. This site is anti-hack and pirating.
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 7:07:38 AM

A lot of people don't realize that things like No-CD cracks and off-line Mods are doing anything wrong.
Why its wrong is because its in breach of the software licensing terms.
If the game is designed to play online only then you are in breach of the "You must not alter or modify this software" part of pretty much every ELUA in existence. I'm para phrasing the quote but that the gist of it.


Mactronix :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
March 8, 2013 12:37:30 PM

Well we must thank EA once again for an online only day one dlc failed launch of an excellent game that had tones of potential,is making copys of the map files a breech in contract as well?The game only saves to EA servers so if those servers get shutdown than your citys are gone for good.I personally don't think it should be wrong to take a game you have paid for and modify it to play the way you like as long as it doesn't give an unfair advantage.Going offline only with local saves is far from making it unfair for everyone.
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 1:19:12 PM

What you think is wrong and what the law/game terms and conditions are not the same. Also I thin k the game was designed so that the servers do some of the calculations for the game making it hard to make an offline version. I do agree many T&Cs for games are unreasonable but you agree to them when you install.
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 1:28:46 PM

robthatguyx said:
Well we must thank EA once again for an online only day one dlc failed launch of an excellent game that had tones of potential,is making copys of the map files a breech in contract as well?The game only saves to EA servers so if those servers get shutdown than your citys are gone for good.I personally don't think it should be wrong to take a game you have paid for and modify it to play the way you like as long as it doesn't give an unfair advantage.Going offline only with local saves is far from making it unfair for everyone.

It's EA's battle against piracy. Making every offline game ONLINE may be one way (temporarily) but we can see how unconventional that is (Diablo III and now this).
You can't get this sort of info on this site. Sorry :( 
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 5:20:40 PM

It's funny though because with DRM, the ones you're punishing are the people that actually purchased your product...people that would have purchased it normally anyway. The sales numbers would be much higher without the DRM. Pirates have very little impact on those numbers. And someone will crack it sooner than later.

Personally, I've requested a refund.
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 5:35:47 PM

jesot said:
It's funny though because with DRM, the ones you're punishing are the people that actually purchased your product...people that would have purchased it normally anyway. The sales numbers would be much higher without the DRM. Pirates have very little impact on those numbers. And someone will crack it sooner than later.

Personally, I've requested a refund.


That's pretty much what I posted on the news article, its a clear case of not fit for purpose so everyone should ask for a refund.

Mactronix :) 
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 5:41:53 PM

Honestly i haven't purchased it yet, and im not going to more than likely. Just quite bummed about it not being offline,because it looks great but the online only is horrible.
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 7:44:59 PM

jesot said:
It's funny though because with DRM, the ones you're punishing are the people that actually purchased your product...people that would have purchased it normally anyway. The sales numbers would be much higher without the DRM. Pirates have very little impact on those numbers.



Exactly. A lot of my friends have pirated plenty of games, but it doesn't really make the developers lose that much money since most of them wouldn't of actually bought the games anyway.

It isn't a direct equation. Say somebody pirates like Skyrim or something, for example. Bethesda isn't losing money, since that person would probably not of actually payed for the game anyway.


I'm not supporting piracy, but I wish companies would find better ways of dealing with it. Instead of punishing paying customers they should find better ways to track down the pirates.
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 8:07:57 PM

Lowering prices to 30$ for a new game would be a great way to combat it i think, Especially on consoles when a used game is 20$ you mine as well buy the new one at 10$ more so alot less people would be wanting to take the time to download a cracked copy.I know alot of people who cant afford a 60$ game on pc all the time but 30$ is affordable.
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 8:22:59 PM

ZakX11 said:
It's EA's battle against piracy. Making every offline game ONLINE may be one way (temporarily) but we can see how unconventional that is (Diablo III and now this).
You can't get this sort of info on this site. Sorry :( 


It's not just EA's battle against piracy. The move to always-online DRM is really just a stepping stone to realizing something akin to the entirely server-side experience of games like WoW and Diablo 3, as that is the only way to actually combat piracy. This goes for all companies.

It's also damned unfortunate for us as paying customers who perhaps would like to actually own something.
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 8:23:11 PM

Yeah, but that unless they sold twice as many copies they'd lose money if they halved the price.
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 8:25:12 PM

robthatguyx said:
Lowering prices to 30$ for a new game would be a great way to combat it i think, Especially on consoles when a used game is 20$ you mine as well buy the new one at 10$ more so alot less people would be wanting to take the time to download a cracked copy.I know alot of people who cant afford a 60$ game on pc all the time but 30$ is affordable.


Price has been sufficiently proven to NOT be a primary determining factor in how much a game is pirated. There have been countless sub $30.00 releases that have been more widely pirated even than higher priced, higher profile games. If you want a source for this Google is the first place to go because this has been covered ad nauseum.
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 8:58:42 PM

"It's not just EA's battle against piracy. The move to always-online DRM is really just a stepping stone to realizing something akin to the entirely server-side experience of games like WoW and Diablo 3, as that is the only way to actually combat piracy. This goes for all companies. " the only reason wow got away with this is because its an mmorpg. This is the reason diablo 3 failed in my op.
m
0
l
March 8, 2013 9:01:51 PM

Diablo 3 had many other issues, but the point is, pirating is hurting the industry, particularly the PC side. You can say "most" wouldn't have purchased the games they pirate anyways, but it only takes some to make a large impact on the market.

Many of the most pirated games are $20 and under. Those excuses are just a way to justify it.
m
0
l
March 9, 2013 3:37:59 AM

robthatguyx said:
"It's not just EA's battle against piracy. The move to always-online DRM is really just a stepping stone to realizing something akin to the entirely server-side experience of games like WoW and Diablo 3, as that is the only way to actually combat piracy. This goes for all companies. " the only reason wow got away with this is because its an mmorpg. This is the reason diablo 3 failed in my op.


Diablo 3 only "failed" in your eyes because you didn't like it. And rightfully so. But financially it's a critical success. It's one of the highest selling one-time-purchase games of all time. It's oft complained about and reviled by the masses, but a ton of people bought that stinker and a ton of people would buy the next one were they to make it. Have to drop the hyperbole mate.
m
0
l
March 9, 2013 7:33:39 AM

TBH Playing with friends isn't worth waiting for 20 minutes
m
0
l
March 22, 2013 1:51:58 AM

Like a lot of people - I would like to BUY and play Sim City 5. But I cant justify forking out more of my pension to increase my online use for a game that already costs more than I should really be spending - just for the pleasure of playing what I have already paid for.
m
0
l
March 26, 2013 9:05:24 PM

when i buy a game i just whate a year or 2 intiill it gets down to $30 $40 and buy it then
m
0
l
!