Mod to make simcity5 offline only?

A lot of people don't realize that things like No-CD cracks and off-line Mods are doing anything wrong.
Why its wrong is because its in breach of the software licensing terms.
If the game is designed to play online only then you are in breach of the "You must not alter or modify this software" part of pretty much every ELUA in existence. I'm para phrasing the quote but that the gist of it.

Mactronix :)

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Well we must thank EA once again for an online only day one dlc failed launch of an excellent game that had tones of potential,is making copys of the map files a breech in contract as well?The game only saves to EA servers so if those servers get shutdown than your citys are gone for good.I personally don't think it should be wrong to take a game you have paid for and modify it to play the way you like as long as it doesn't give an unfair advantage.Going offline only with local saves is far from making it unfair for everyone.

What you think is wrong and what the law/game terms and conditions are not the same. Also I thin k the game was designed so that the servers do some of the calculations for the game making it hard to make an offline version. I do agree many T&Cs for games are unreasonable but you agree to them when you install.

ZakX11

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

It's EA's battle against piracy. Making every offline game ONLINE may be one way (temporarily) but we can see how unconventional that is (Diablo III and now this).
You can't get this sort of info on this site. Sorry :(

jesot

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
It's funny though because with DRM, the ones you're punishing are the people that actually purchased your product...people that would have purchased it normally anyway. The sales numbers would be much higher without the DRM. Pirates have very little impact on those numbers. And someone will crack it sooner than later.

Personally, I've requested a refund.

That's pretty much what I posted on the news article, its a clear case of not fit for purpose so everyone should ask for a refund.

Mactronix :)

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

Exactly. A lot of my friends have pirated plenty of games, but it doesn't really make the developers lose that much money since most of them wouldn't of actually bought the games anyway.

It isn't a direct equation. Say somebody pirates like Skyrim or something, for example. Bethesda isn't losing money, since that person would probably not of actually payed for the game anyway.

I'm not supporting piracy, but I wish companies would find better ways of dealing with it. Instead of punishing paying customers they should find better ways to track down the pirates.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Lowering prices to 30$ for a new game would be a great way to combat it i think, Especially on consoles when a used game is 20$ you mine as well buy the new one at 10$ more so alot less people would be wanting to take the time to download a cracked copy.I know alot of people who cant afford a 60$ game on pc all the time but 30$ is affordable.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

It's not just EA's battle against piracy. The move to always-online DRM is really just a stepping stone to realizing something akin to the entirely server-side experience of games like WoW and Diablo 3, as that is the only way to actually combat piracy. This goes for all companies.

It's also damned unfortunate for us as paying customers who perhaps would like to actually own something.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Price has been sufficiently proven to NOT be a primary determining factor in how much a game is pirated. There have been countless sub $30.00 releases that have been more widely pirated even than higher priced, higher profile games. If you want a source for this Google is the first place to go because this has been covered ad nauseum.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
"It's not just EA's battle against piracy. The move to always-online DRM is really just a stepping stone to realizing something akin to the entirely server-side experience of games like WoW and Diablo 3, as that is the only way to actually combat piracy. This goes for all companies. " the only reason wow got away with this is because its an mmorpg. This is the reason diablo 3 failed in my op.

Diablo 3 had many other issues, but the point is, pirating is hurting the industry, particularly the PC side. You can say "most" wouldn't have purchased the games they pirate anyways, but it only takes some to make a large impact on the market.

Many of the most pirated games are $20 and under. Those excuses are just a way to justify it.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Diablo 3 only "failed" in your eyes because you didn't like it. And rightfully so. But financially it's a critical success. It's one of the highest selling one-time-purchase games of all time. It's oft complained about and reviled by the masses, but a ton of people bought that stinker and a ton of people would buy the next one were they to make it. Have to drop the hyperbole mate.

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Like a lot of people - I would like to BUY and play Sim City 5. But I cant justify forking out more of my pension to increase my online use for a game that already costs more than I should really be spending - just for the pleasure of playing what I have already paid for.