Does Verizon do GSM?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 2, 2005 11:17:49 PM

Do they offer branded phones that use the GSM technology? Or
do they support GSM networks? If not, what do they support? AMPS,
CDMA, TDMA, etc?

===
"I don't feel the need to be famous. It's all bullshit anyway....Having people around me just because I'm famous makes me feel really bad about myself. So I give 10% to my agent to do the fame thing, and I go focus on whatever I love."
-- Jessica Alba

More about : verizon gsm

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 11:50:26 PM

Ablang wrote:
> Do they offer branded phones that use the GSM technology?
> Or
> do they support GSM networks? If not, what do they
> support? AMPS,
> CDMA, TDMA, etc?

Verizon does TDMA and AMPS.

Used to be that in some places Sprint PCS was an
extended network partner. Maybe not any more.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:31:43 AM

Wrong, Verizon is CDMA and AMPS.

David R. Goyer

> Ablang wrote:
>> Do they offer branded phones that use the GSM technology?
>> Or
>> do they support GSM networks? If not, what do they
>> support? AMPS,
>> CDMA, TDMA, etc?
>
> Verizon does TDMA and AMPS.
>
> Used to be that in some places Sprint PCS was an
> extended network partner. Maybe not any more.
>
> -Quick

July 3, 2005 3:14:04 AM

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 19:50:26 -0700, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Verizon does TDMA and AMPS.

Uh, you want to double check that? I think you hit T when you meant
to hit C.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:14:05 AM

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 19:50:26 -0700, "Quick"
> <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Verizon does TDMA and AMPS.
>
> Uh, you want to double check that? I think you hit T
> when you meant to hit C.

Yes... I just looked at that. I couldn't have typed that?
The black helicopters must have intercepted my post
and transposed that letter to discredit me! :)

-Quick
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:17:43 AM

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 19:17:49 -0700, Ablang
<HilaryDuffPerfectMan@ablang-duff.com> wrote:

> Do they offer branded phones that use the GSM technology? Or
>do they support GSM networks?

Hell no, thank goodness!

>If not, what do they support?

>AMPS, CDMA

And AMPS is on its way out. They support it, but good luck finding an
open AMPS channel in many areas.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:35:59 AM

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 20:21:31 -0700, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 19:50:26 -0700, "Quick"
>> <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Verizon does TDMA and AMPS.
>>
>> Uh, you want to double check that? I think you hit T
>> when you meant to hit C.
>
>Yes... I just looked at that. I couldn't have typed that?
>The black helicopters must have intercepted my post
>and transposed that letter to discredit me! :)

I knew it couldn't have been you, or at least wasn't on purpose.
You've been around here too long. I just figured you got your holiday
partying started a little early.;-)
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:57:09 AM

Wrong,, In Wisconsin Verizon is CDMA

> Ablang wrote:
>> Do they offer branded phones that use the GSM technology?
>> Or
>> do they support GSM networks? If not, what do they
>> support? AMPS,
>> CDMA, TDMA, etc?
>
> Verizon does TDMA and AMPS.
>
> Used to be that in some places Sprint PCS was an
> extended network partner. Maybe not any more.
>
> -Quick

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:18:26 AM

Verizon is a CDMA carrier. In the areas where they have cellular
licenses, they are mandated by the FCC to keep amps running. I think
that if you are traveling to other countries, you can get a gsm phone
and a sim for it with your verizon account, but I do not know if the
phones are branded.

Ablang wrote:
> Do they offer branded phones that use the GSM technology? Or
> do they support GSM networks? If not, what do they support? AMPS,
> CDMA, TDMA, etc?
>

> ===
> "I don't feel the need to be famous. It's all bullshit anyway....Having people around me just because I'm famous makes me feel really bad about myself. So I give 10% to my agent to do the fame thing, and I go focus on whatever I love."
> -- Jessica Alba
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:18:27 AM

Verizon does make a phone that will work on GSM networks. See it at the
following link:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=406

David R. Goyer
"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Verizon is a CDMA carrier. In the areas where they have cellular
> licenses, they are mandated by the FCC to keep amps running. I think that
> if you are traveling to other countries, you can get a gsm phone and a sim
> for it with your verizon account, but I do not know if the phones are
> branded.
>

> Ablang wrote:
>> Do they offer branded phones that use the GSM technology? Or
>> do they support GSM networks? If not, what do they support? AMPS,
>> CDMA, TDMA, etc?
>>

>> ===
>> "I don't feel the need to be famous. It's all bullshit
>> anyway....Having people around me just because I'm famous makes me feel
>> really bad about myself. So I give 10% to my agent to do the fame thing,
>> and I go focus on whatever I love."
>> -- Jessica Alba
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:18:28 AM

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 22:34:22 -0500, "David R Goyer" <davgo@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Verizon does make a phone that will work on GSM networks. See it at the
>following link:
>
>http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=406

Airplane mode? Give me a break! How long will it take for some
genius to figure out he can change his banner to say "Airplane Mode"
or "Phone is Off" at will?

I admit to changing mine in the past to "Phone is off" when I'd go
into non-critical areas of our local hospital. I got challenged once,
and when the receptionist saw it read "Phone is off", she thanked me
for complying, not realizing the only way for it to say *anything* is
for it to be *ON*.

It certainly didn't affect their computer's ability to accept my
payment.:-)
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:25:06 AM

I don't think verizon wireless ever used tdma. Maybe some of the parts
that joined to form verizon wireless used tdma before.

Quick wrote:
> Ablang wrote:
>
>>Do they offer branded phones that use the GSM technology?
>>Or
>>do they support GSM networks? If not, what do they
>>support? AMPS,
>>CDMA, TDMA, etc?
>

> Verizon does TDMA and AMPS.
>
> Used to be that in some places Sprint PCS was an
> extended network partner. Maybe not any more.
>
> -Quick

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 10:07:58 AM

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

> I admit to changing mine in the past to "Phone is off" when I'd go
> into non-critical areas of our local hospital. I got challenged once,
> and when the receptionist saw it read "Phone is off", she thanked me
> for complying, not realizing the only way for it to say *anything* is
> for it to be *ON*.

Pretty clever! I will remember that trick!
Man, the world is full geniuses.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:26:36 PM

zwerl1@yahoo.com wrote:
> The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
>

>>I admit to changing mine in the past to "Phone is off" when I'd go
>>into non-critical areas of our local hospital. I got challenged once,
>>and when the receptionist saw it read "Phone is off", she thanked me
>>for complying, not realizing the only way for it to say *anything* is
>>for it to be *ON*.
>

> Pretty clever! I will remember that trick!
> Man, the world is full geniuses.

My Kyocera and Samsung phones display a "Phone charging" message when
they're powered off, as long as they are plugged into AC.

So does my wife's Hitachi.

:)

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
July 3, 2005 5:05:35 PM

There are two phones, however, that Verizon offers that will work on GSM
networks, as well as CDMA. Here's the link to them. But they would only
use GSM networks when travelling abroad.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/intern...

"Ablang" <HilaryDuffPerfectMan@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
> Do they offer branded phones that use the GSM technology? Or
> do they support GSM networks? If not, what do they support? AMPS,
> CDMA, TDMA, etc?
>

> ===
> "I don't feel the need to be famous. It's all bullshit
> anyway....Having people around me just because I'm famous makes me feel
> really bad about myself. So I give 10% to my agent to do the fame thing,
> and I go focus on whatever I love."
> -- Jessica Alba
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:42:49 PM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:26:36 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>My Kyocera and Samsung phones display a "Phone charging" message when
>they're powered off, as long as they are plugged into AC.

So, is that a charger in your pocket, or are you just happy to hear me
now?;-)
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:58:07 PM

<zwerl1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
>
>> I admit to changing mine in the past to "Phone is off" when I'd go
>> into non-critical areas of our local hospital. I got challenged
>> once,
>> and when the receptionist saw it read "Phone is off", she thanked
>> me
>> for complying, not realizing the only way for it to say *anything*
>> is
>> for it to be *ON*.
>
> Pretty clever! I will remember that trick!
> Man, the world is full geniuses.

Hardly a genius, just a trickster ... whatch gonna do when this is
common nowledge and they call you on it?
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:27:27 PM

David R Goyer wrote:
> Verizon does make a phone that will work on GSM networks. See it at the
> following link:
>
> http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=406

The CDMA/GSM phones that VZW sells will not do GSM in the US or Canada.
Their GSM mode works only on the 900/1800 band that is used in other
parts of the world. So no roaming on Cingular GSM with your VZW phone.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 10:24:18 PM

> Verizon is a CDMA carrier. In the areas where they have cellular
> licenses, they are mandated by the FCC to keep amps running. I think
> that if you are traveling to other countries, you can get a gsm phone
> and a sim for it with your verizon account, but I do not know if the
> phones are branded.

That's only partially true. The FCC does not mandate that carriers with cellular licenses run AMPS, it mandates that carriers with cellular licenses running AMPS must maintain those systems to a minimal degree. IIRC, there is a company in Wyoming
that runs GSM 850, but not AMPS, TDMA, nor CDMA.

TH
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 6:29:35 AM

I could be wrong, but I thought all cellular licenses were in use
before digital was invented. Therefore all cellular licenses were
analog. All cellular carriers that had analog, and I think they all
had, must keep it running until the FCC says they can cease.

Tropical Haven wrote:
>> Verizon is a CDMA carrier. In the areas where they have cellular
>>licenses, they are mandated by the FCC to keep amps running. I think
>>that if you are traveling to other countries, you can get a gsm phone
>>and a sim for it with your verizon account, but I do not know if the
>>phones are branded.
>

> That's only partially true. The FCC does not mandate that carriers with cellular licenses run AMPS, it mandates that carriers with cellular licenses running AMPS must maintain those systems to a minimal degree. IIRC, there is a company in Wyoming
> that runs GSM 850, but not AMPS, TDMA, nor CDMA.
>
> TH

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:08:21 PM

i think 2008 is the year they can drop analog service.
> I could be wrong, but I thought all cellular licenses were in use before
> digital was invented. Therefore all cellular licenses were analog. All
> cellular carriers that had analog, and I think they all had, must keep it
> running until the FCC says they can cease.
>

> Tropical Haven wrote:
>>> Verizon is a CDMA carrier. In the areas where they have cellular
>>>licenses, they are mandated by the FCC to keep amps running. I think
>>>that if you are traveling to other countries, you can get a gsm phone
>>>and a sim for it with your verizon account, but I do not know if the
>>>phones are branded.
>>

>> That's only partially true. The FCC does not mandate that carriers with
>> cellular licenses run AMPS, it mandates that carriers with cellular
>> licenses running AMPS must maintain those systems to a minimal degree.
>> IIRC, there is a company in Wyoming
>> that runs GSM 850, but not AMPS, TDMA, nor CDMA.
>>
>> TH

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:12:26 AM

According to Roamer1, Endless Mountains Wireless is a "new" 850 carrier with no legacy AMPS/TDMA coverage. EMW confirmed GSM-only status 11/2004

http://www.roamer1.org/wireless/digital.html

Also, IIRC, there are many areas of the nation with digital coverage and no analog coverage. Sure, they may not be the size of Texas, but as carriers continue building, they add digital coverage but no AMPS coverage.

TH

Jerome Zelinske wrote:

> I could be wrong, but I thought all cellular licenses were in use
> before digital was invented. Therefore all cellular licenses were
> analog. All cellular carriers that had analog, and I think they all
> had, must keep it running until the FCC says they can cease.
>
> Tropical Haven wrote:
> >> Verizon is a CDMA carrier. In the areas where they have cellular
> >>licenses, they are mandated by the FCC to keep amps running. I think
> >>that if you are traveling to other countries, you can get a gsm phone
> >>and a sim for it with your verizon account, but I do not know if the
> >>phones are branded.
> >

> > That's only partially true. The FCC does not mandate that carriers with cellular licenses run AMPS, it mandates that carriers with cellular licenses running AMPS must maintain those systems to a minimal degree. IIRC, there is a company in Wyoming
> > that runs GSM 850, but not AMPS, TDMA, nor CDMA.
> >
> > TH

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:23:07 AM

My apologies...I missed Alaska Wireless. I knew it was from an unpopulated area.

TH

Tropical Haven wrote:

> According to Roamer1, Endless Mountains Wireless is a "new" 850 carrier with no legacy AMPS/TDMA coverage. EMW confirmed GSM-only status 11/2004
>
> http://www.roamer1.org/wireless/digital.html
>
> Also, IIRC, there are many areas of the nation with digital coverage and no analog coverage. Sure, they may not be the size of Texas, but as carriers continue building, they add digital coverage but no AMPS coverage.
>
> TH
>
> Jerome Zelinske wrote:
>
> > I could be wrong, but I thought all cellular licenses were in use
> > before digital was invented. Therefore all cellular licenses were
> > analog. All cellular carriers that had analog, and I think they all
> > had, must keep it running until the FCC says they can cease.

> > > That's only partially true. The FCC does not mandate that carriers with cellular licenses run AMPS, it mandates that carriers with cellular licenses running AMPS must maintain those systems to a minimal degree. IIRC, there is a company in Wyoming
> > > that runs GSM 850, but not AMPS, TDMA, nor CDMA.
> > >
> > > TH

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:51:38 AM

Tropical Haven wrote:
> According to Roamer1, Endless Mountains Wireless is a "new" 850
> carrier with no legacy AMPS/TDMA coverage. EMW confirmed GSM-only
> status 11/2004
>
> http://www.roamer1.org/wireless/digital.html

If Endless Mountains Wireless is providing no AMPS (analog) coverage, it
is in violation of FCC regulations. 47 C.F.R. § 22.901(b) provides:

(b) Until February 18, 2008, each cellular system that provides
two-way cellular mobile radiotelephone service must —

(1) Maintain the capability to provide compatible analog service
("AMPS") to cellular telephones . . . .

(2) Provide AMPS, upon request, to subscribers and roamers using
such cellular telephones while such subscribers are located in
any portion of the cellular system’s CGSA where facilities
have been constructed and service to subscribers has
commenced. See also § 20.12 of this chapter. Cellular
licensees must allot sufficient system resources such that the
quality of AMPS provided, in terms of geographic coverage and
traffic capacity, is fully adequate to satisfy the concurrent
need for AMPS availability.

This makes it as clear as can be that if the company is a cellular
licensee (and not merely a reseller or MVNO) it has to provide analog
AMPS service until 2008.

> Also, IIRC, there are many areas of the nation with digital coverage
> and no analog coverage. Sure, they may not be the size of Texas, but
> as carriers continue building, they add digital coverage but no AMPS
> coverage.

Not if they are cellular licensees. Cellular licensees can't add
service areas that are digital only; they have to provide analog service
in any area served, per the above rule. PCS licensees (1800 MHz), on
the other hand, don't have to offer analog service, and none do (there
are no phones designed to operate in analog mode at 1800 MHz).

> Jerome Zelinske wrote:
>> I could be wrong, but I thought all cellular licenses were in use
>> before digital was invented. Therefore all cellular licenses were
>> analog. All cellular carriers that had analog, and I think they
>> all had, must keep it running until the FCC says they can cease.

Actually, a handful of cellular licenses weren't finally awarded until
after digital service was widespread due to legal issues. And many
cellular licensees have added territory since digital was put in place;
all such areas have to have analog service under the rule cited above.

Verizon does offer GSM phone rental for customers traveling to other
countries. I don't think the phones work on US frequencies, however,
since their customers already have non-GSM phones working on US
frequencies and would be unpleasantly surprised to pay international
rental roaming rates if they used their phones in the US.

>>> That's only partially true. The FCC does not mandate that
>>> carriers with cellular licenses run AMPS, it mandates that
>>> carriers with cellular licenses running AMPS must maintain those
>>> systems to a minimal degree. IIRC, there is a company in Wyoming
>>> that runs GSM 850, but not AMPS, TDMA, nor CDMA.

Again, the applicable FCC rule does not only apply to pre-digital
licensees; it applies to every service area (CGSA) served by every
cellular (850 MHz) licensee.

The FCC rule does not require cellular licensees to _promote_ analog
service and analog equipment. It only requires them to provide such
service, on request, at any time when subscribers or roamers are within
their service areas.

--
Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD (USA)

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:27:27 GMT, CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid>
wrote:

>David R Goyer wrote:
>> Verizon does make a phone that will work on GSM networks. See it at the
>> following link:
>>
>> http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=406
>
>The CDMA/GSM phones that VZW sells will not do GSM in the US or Canada.
>Their GSM mode works only on the 900/1800 band that is used in other
>parts of the world. So no roaming on Cingular GSM with your VZW phone.

Things might have changed -- I tried this phone for a short period of
time when it first came out. The one I tried -- there was no seamless
switch between CDMA and GSM ( like you get with AMPS / CDMA phones )
-- you had to "reboot" and make a choice of which to use.

I was trying to use CDMA in the US and GSM in the Dominican Republic
-- never got it to work properly; but it was VERY early in the
implementation.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:55:58 PM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:05:35 GMT, "J" <J@J.com> wrote:

>There are two phones, however, that Verizon offers that will work on GSM
>networks, as well as CDMA. Here's the link to them. But they would only
>use GSM networks when travelling abroad.
>http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/intern...

Rates -- ouch ; what I've done is to purchase a pre-paid phone
overseas ( I use a Motorola StarTac ) and use a forwarding service --

http://www.telcan.com

I forward my US cell phone to the 866 number, then forward it to the
local DR phone. Last I checked -- it was at a rate of $0.07 per
minute for when someone in US calls me. I'm not sure of the local
DR rates -- I purchase about 250 pesos a shot and that will hold me
for the few weeks a month I'm there.

A little messing around -- but the other thing I have to circumvent is
that a call initiated on a US Verizon account when in the US will be
blocked to a DR number. When I'm in the States, I use the same setup
-- but change the 866 forwarding to the plant so I can call people
there.

So -- I'm still at two phones to cover GSM and CDMA -- but the above
is how I make it seamless for business purposes.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 7:52:41 PM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> Verizon is a CDMA carrier. In the areas where they have cellular
> licenses, they are mandated by the FCC to keep amps running.

Only until Janaury 2007. Besides, all Verizon has to do is keep a
single AMPS channel open, and mee tthe requirement. If the one channel
is in use, then that's it.

> I think
> that if you are traveling to other countries, you can get a gsm phone
> and a sim for it with your verizon account, but I do not know if the
> phones are branded.

Verizon offers the Samsung SCH-A790, which is a CDMA phone for use in
the US and wherever else it's available, and a GSM phone for Europe and
other continents with GSM service (900/1800Mhz). It will not, however,
work as a GSM phone in the US bands (850/1900Mhz).

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.