Contract renewal Question

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 3, 2005 8:49:24 PM

My two year contract is up this fall and I will be eligible for the 100
dollars toward the new phone. Do I have to do this at exactly two years,
or can I wait for say 28 months for renewal? I know you can renew about
22 months, but I want to go a bit longer.

gary
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:49:25 PM

"Gary" <gareth@capecod.net> wrote in message
news:o GUxe.16713$eM6.739@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
| My two year contract is up this fall and I will be eligible for the 100
| dollars toward the new phone. Do I have to do this at exactly two years,
| or can I wait for say 28 months for renewal? I know you can renew about
| 22 months, but I want to go a bit longer.

You can wait as long as you want. At the end of your current contract, you
will go on a month-to-month basis under the terms of your present contract.
When you finally do execute the NE2 provision, you will be obligating
yourself to an additional 2 years from *that* date.

Only you can decide if being locked into an additional two years is worth
the $100 credit.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:49:25 PM

"Gary" <gareth@capecod.net> wrote in message
news:o GUxe.16713$eM6.739@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> My two year contract is up this fall and I will be eligible for the 100
> dollars toward the new phone. Do I have to do this at exactly two years,
> or can I wait for say 28 months for renewal? I know you can renew about 22
> months, but I want to go a bit longer.
>
> gary

You have an 6 month span when you can upgrade with NE2 with no hassle: two
months before, as you indicated, and 4 months after. So, 22-28 months.
Apparently you CAN do it even later but it may take some convincing of a rep
to put it through (note the word MAY below; confirmed through postings I've
seen on howardforums.com, which tends to be a better place to get accurate
info than this newsgroup, unfortunately).

The phrasing on the website says : "If you enrolled in the program on or
after 11/25/02, you must take advantage of the New Every Two offer within
six months of becoming eligible; otherwise, you may be charged full retail
price to upgrade your current handset."

If for some reason you're getting close to the end of the 28th month and you
aren't ready to upgrade, call 611 and have them put a notation on your
account to that effect; this should make later upgrading possible/easier.

HTH,
bex
Related resources
July 4, 2005 1:15:15 PM

> Only you can decide if being locked into an additional
> two years is worth the $100 credit.

Agreed. And the way you make that decision is to take into account the
potential $175 early termination fee, the likelyhood of you needing to pay
it, verses the amount you are being discounted on the new phone. Pretty
simple math.

I sometimes see people bitching about the $175 early term fee after
accepting a discounted price of $175 or more on their new phone. Doesn't
make sense. In some cases, paying the early term fee simply makes the
original price of the phone right, considering you are not staying the full
two years.

I only state this because there seems to be so much misunderstanding about
it. Personally, I think the phones are overpriced to begin with and the
"discount" is not all it's cracked up to be. But what I think doesn't
matter. What is in the signed agreement is what does matter. And it is
pretty straight forward.

-Frank
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:06:57 PM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 16:49:24 GMT, Gary <gareth@capecod.net> wrote:

>My two year contract is up this fall and I will be eligible for the 100
>dollars toward the new phone. Do I have to do this at exactly two years,
>or can I wait for say 28 months for renewal? I know you can renew about
>22 months, but I want to go a bit longer.
>
>gary

To summarize what the others have posted, it all depends on when you
signed your existing contract. It used to be that you could wait
until you wanted to renew and still get your NE2 credit, but not
anymore. Newer contracts have a time limit of eligibility. It must
drive VZW crazy to not have you under contract for some reason. I've
been contract free for over a year (I was under one of the old "no
time limit" contracts) and will wait until they have a phone worth
upgrading to before signing another contract.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:36:41 PM

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 14:23:23 -0400, "bex" <rwagaman @ rcnREMOVE . com>
wrote:

>The phrasing on the website says : "If you enrolled in the program on or
>after 11/25/02, you must take advantage of the New Every Two offer within
>six months of becoming eligible; otherwise, you may be charged full retail
>price to upgrade your current handset."

Just what do they lose by someone waiting past the 28th month? It
must be a "security" thing with them; they feel more secure having
your name on the dotted line.

I've gotten letters and even an unsolicited SMS trying to get me into
the store to renew my contract and redeem my NE2 credit. As I told
the store manager, I will renew when they have a phone that is
acceptable to me, but until then, leave me alone, accept my monthly
payments, and appreciate the fact that I'm not forcing VZW to
subsidize a phone every 24 months. I got a laugh out of him on that
one. He knows I'm not going anywhere, as I've been with VZW (and
their absorbed companies) for over 10 years, so it's not like I'm
looking to go with another provider.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:36:31 PM

What do you mean by "new contracts have a time limit of
eligibility"?

The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote in

> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 16:49:24 GMT, Gary <gareth@capecod.net>
wrote:

>>My two year contract is up this fall and I will be eligible for
the 100
>>dollars toward the new phone. Do I have to do this at exactly two
years,
>>or can I wait for say 28 months for renewal? I know you can renew
about
>>22 months, but I want to go a bit longer.
>>
>>gary
>
> To summarize what the others have posted, it all depends on when
you
> signed your existing contract. It used to be that you could wait
> until you wanted to renew and still get your NE2 credit, but not
> anymore. Newer contracts have a time limit of eligibility. It
must
> drive VZW crazy to not have you under contract for some reason.
I've
> been contract free for over a year (I was under one of the old
"no
> time limit" contracts) and will wait until they have a phone
worth
> upgrading to before signing another contract.

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:36:32 PM

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 16:36:31 +0000 (UTC), Mitchell Regenbogen
<mreg@panix.spam.com> wrote:

>What do you mean by "new contracts have a time limit of
>eligibility"?

Quoting from Bex's post:

>The phrasing on the website says : "If you enrolled in the program on or
>after 11/25/02, you must take advantage of the New Every Two offer within
>six months of becoming eligible; otherwise, you may be charged full retail
>price to upgrade your current handset."

I didn't go to the site myself to confirm, but it seems to jive with
information I've received in the past.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:07:48 PM

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 16:36:31 +0000 (UTC), Mitchell Regenbogen
> <mreg@panix.spam.com> wrote:
>
>>What do you mean by "new contracts have a time limit of eligibility"?
>
> Quoting from Bex's post:
>
>>The phrasing on the website says : "If you enrolled in the program on or
>>after 11/25/02, you must take advantage of the New Every Two offer within
>>six months of becoming eligible; otherwise, you may be charged full retail
>>price to upgrade your current handset."

The "otherwise" doesn't make any sense. Obviously, if you upgrade your
phone without signing up for a new contract, you will pay full retail.
If you agree to a new contract, you get the contract price, regardless
of NE2. But the paragraph above doesn't say anything about the
additional $100 NE2 credit.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:07:49 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 17:07:48 GMT, CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid>
wrote:

>The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 16:36:31 +0000 (UTC), Mitchell Regenbogen
>> <mreg@panix.spam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What do you mean by "new contracts have a time limit of eligibility"?
>>
>> Quoting from Bex's post:
>>
>>>The phrasing on the website says : "If you enrolled in the program on or
>>>after 11/25/02, you must take advantage of the New Every Two offer within
>>>six months of becoming eligible; otherwise, you may be charged full retail
>>>price to upgrade your current handset."
>
>The "otherwise" doesn't make any sense. Obviously, if you upgrade your
>phone without signing up for a new contract, you will pay full retail.
>If you agree to a new contract, you get the contract price, regardless
>of NE2. But the paragraph above doesn't say anything about the
>additional $100 NE2 credit.

IMO, none of it makes any sense. See my reply to Bex earlier in this
thread.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:11:51 AM

CharlesH wrote:

> The "otherwise" doesn't make any sense. Obviously, if you
> upgrade your phone without signing up for a new contract,
> you will pay full retail.

just a nit... "signing up for a new contract [or extending your
existing contract]" you can get the subsidized price (independent
of NewAnyTwo). (I know you knew that).

-Quick
July 5, 2005 2:17:00 AM

Gary wrote:
> My two year contract is up this fall and I will be eligible for the 100
> dollars toward the new phone. Do I have to do this at exactly two years,
> or can I wait for say 28 months for renewal? I know you can renew about
> 22 months, but I want to go a bit longer.
>
> gary

Just want to thank everyone for clarifying this matter for me.

gary
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:41:04 AM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:06:57 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

>To summarize what the others have posted, it all depends on when you
>signed your existing contract. It used to be that you could wait
>until you wanted to renew and still get your NE2 credit, but not
>anymore. Newer contracts have a time limit of eligibility. It must
>drive VZW crazy to not have you under contract for some reason. I've
>been contract free for over a year (I was under one of the old "no
>time limit" contracts) and will wait until they have a phone worth
>upgrading to before signing another contract.

Unless the market has changed drastically by the time you're ready for a new phone (so that competitive wireless companies no longer deeply discount phones for new customers), VZW will have to provide a deal for you if you are on a month-to-month basis or risk losing you as customer.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:17:08 AM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 23:41:04 -0400 (EDT), "Philip R. Mann"
<prmlaw@NOSPAMnyc.rr.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:06:57 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
>
>>To summarize what the others have posted, it all depends on when you
>>signed your existing contract. It used to be that you could wait
>>until you wanted to renew and still get your NE2 credit, but not
>>anymore. Newer contracts have a time limit of eligibility. It must
>>drive VZW crazy to not have you under contract for some reason. I've
>>been contract free for over a year (I was under one of the old "no
>>time limit" contracts) and will wait until they have a phone worth
>>upgrading to before signing another contract.
>
>Unless the market has changed drastically by the time you're ready for a new phone (so that competitive wireless companies no longer deeply discount phones for new customers), VZW will have to provide a deal for you if you are on a month-to-month basis or risk losing you as customer.

No, if I were really smart I would have upgraded my phone when I was
eligible, and immediately ESN swapped my Kyo-3035 back onto my
account. Then, I'd have an extra to sell or use as a backup. But,
that would screw up my extended warranty coverage. And $1.99/month
for the peace of mind of taking a bad phone back and getting it
swapped for free is hard to pass up. Hell, we still haven't worked
through the 3035s *I* took back, yet.

They had a software problem that kept the phone from alerting on
incoming SMS, but otherwise, they worked fine. And with the current
software, no problems at all. But I *had* to take back about 6 or 7
phones initially, because the hard-headed data department wouldn't
believe it was a software issue.

Unless their system completely and totally falls apart, there's no
company whose coverage is as good as VZW's is in upstate SC.
!