Java webstart jnlp How Do I let through Sygate Personal Fi..

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
June 27, 2004 10:59:04 PM

Java Web start works if Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF) is set to "Allow All"
WebStart does NOT allow jnlp to load if SPF is set to "Normal"
What kind of SPF rule should I make to allow *.jnlp webstart to work?
I dont get any popup message from SPF
webstart simply says "cannot load resource...*.jnlp"

cheers
kleinbottle 28Jun04
June 28, 2004 2:34:17 AM

"kelvinq" <kelvinq415@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Java Web start works if Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF) is set to "Allow
All"
> WebStart does NOT allow jnlp to load if SPF is set to "Normal"
> What kind of SPF rule should I make to allow *.jnlp webstart to work?
> I dont get any popup message from SPF
> webstart simply says "cannot load resource...*.jnlp"
>
> cheers
> kleinbottle 28Jun04

Don't know the real answer but check the traffic log to see what is being
blocked which should give the info to create a rule.

Billh
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 28, 2004 10:40:13 PM

The answer is:
Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\javaw.exe
must be allowed access to port 80

What caused my confusion: SygatePersonalFirewall does NOT issue a
warning
prompt, it merely blocks traffic with no warning. I believe there must
be a "Preferences" setting for SPF that will always show a warning. I
would prefer that, rather than writing a rule to always allow javaw
access to the internet. Right now SPF is loaded at startup, but to see
warnings I must explicitely run SPF (which then shows on the wind98
toolbar)
cheers Kelvin
June 29, 2004 3:15:16 AM

> The answer is:
> Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\javaw.exe
> must be allowed access to port 80
>
> What caused my confusion: SygatePersonalFirewall does NOT issue a
> warning
> prompt, it merely blocks traffic with no warning. I believe there must
> be a "Preferences" setting for SPF that will always show a warning. I
> would prefer that, rather than writing a rule to always allow javaw
> access to the internet. Right now SPF is loaded at startup, but to see
> warnings I must explicitely run SPF (which then shows on the wind98
> toolbar)
> cheers Kelvin

Does Tools- Options- General- Display Notification Warnings have any
bearing on this problem?
Billh
!