Horrible echo on new verizon phone

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 3, 2005 8:52:29 PM

I just set up new service and got a new Samsung phone from Verizon,
after a long time using Cingular. All I've read and heard says that
Verizon is the best service, coverage, etc., nationally, which is why I
switched.

But so far, in the limited number of calls I've made, it's been
horrible. The people on the other end can hear me fine, but I hear a
wicked echo of my own voice when I'm speaking, and it makes me hard to
communicate coherently.

This has happened on local and long-distance calls, from various points,
at different times of day and days of week. I've never had to
troubleshoot a cell connection before. Are there any simple things I
can try to make my connections better and eliminate the echo?

I use this phone for business quite a bit, so "hang up and try calling
again" isn't a viable option.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:52:30 PM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 16:52:29 GMT, SteveT <-deleted-@rochester.rr.com>
wrote:

>I just set up new service and got a new Samsung phone from Verizon,
>after a long time using Cingular. All I've read and heard says that
>Verizon is the best service, coverage, etc., nationally, which is why I
>switched.
>
>But so far, in the limited number of calls I've made, it's been
>horrible. The people on the other end can hear me fine, but I hear a
>wicked echo of my own voice when I'm speaking, and it makes me hard to
>communicate coherently.
>
>This has happened on local and long-distance calls, from various points,
>at different times of day and days of week. I've never had to
>troubleshoot a cell connection before. Are there any simple things I
>can try to make my connections better and eliminate the echo?
>
>I use this phone for business quite a bit, so "hang up and try calling
>again" isn't a viable option.

It may be the phone. Take it back and they'll likely exchange it. If
it continues with another phone, you might want to look at another
brand (I've never cared for the Samsungs, but that's me).
July 3, 2005 9:59:55 PM

SteveT sez...

> I just set up new service and got a
> new Samsung phone fromVerizon,
> but I hear a wicked echo of my
> own voice when I'm speaking, and
> it makes me hard to communicate
> coherently.

I've had the same issue with Motorola cellular phones.
I have a Samsung SCH-a610 and it's fine.

--
______________
=====fish=====

wrote:

>I just set up new service and got a new Samsung phone from Verizon,
>after a long time using Cingular. All I've read and heard says that
>Verizon is the best service, coverage, etc., nationally, which is why I
>switched.
>
>But so far, in the limited number of calls I've made, it's been
>horrible. The people on the other end can hear me fine, but I hear a
>wicked echo of my own voice when I'm speaking, and it makes me hard to
>communicate coherently.
>
>This has happened on local and long-distance calls, from various points,
>at different times of day and days of week. I've never had to
>troubleshoot a cell connection before. Are there any simple things I
>can try to make my connections better and eliminate the echo?
>
>I use this phone for business quite a bit, so "hang up and try calling
>again" isn't a viable option.
Do you hear echos in every location? Most of the time an echo means a
problem with a tower not the phone.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:53:02 PM

Ding, ding, ding!!!
The right answer.

Echoes are 90% of the time caused by something not right on the system end.
Not very often caused by the phone itself.

"TeddeLI" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Do you hear echos in every location? Most of the time an echo means a
> problem with a tower not the phone.
July 4, 2005 12:49:13 AM

In article <al8gc11hbbncm681eule94gcq3k0binch3@4ax.com>,
The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:

> It may be the phone. Take it back and they'll likely exchange it. If
> it continues with another phone, you might want to look at another
> brand (I've never cared for the Samsungs, but that's me).

I asked some friends and a couple suggested turning down the volume.
Although I am still getting an echo on bad calls (* see below), the echo
is a lot harder to notice with the volume down a bit.

* Interestingly, I think I've isolated the problem in that it seems to
be at its most consistent and worst when I'm calling within state
(western NY in my case) but what would be a long distance call for a
wired phone. When calling out-of-state numbers, wired or cell, the
connection seems to be clear and sharp, and echo-free.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:49:14 AM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:49:13 GMT, SteveT <-deleted-@rochester.rr.com>
wrote:

>* Interestingly, I think I've isolated the problem in that it seems to
>be at its most consistent and worst when I'm calling within state
>(western NY in my case) but what would be a long distance call for a
>wired phone. When calling out-of-state numbers, wired or cell, the
>connection seems to be clear and sharp, and echo-free.

Then the intra-LATA phone company likely has a bad echo suppressor
somewhere in their system.
Anonymous
November 20, 2008 3:24:42 PM

I agree, the problem is in the system not the phone. I have noticed the problem more when I call a land line from my cell phone. people who call me (usually with verizon cell phone service) always complain of the echo. If we hang up and I cal them back from my land line the echo goes away. So im not sure if lowering the volume is the solution. is verizon the common denominator? hmmm?
!