Really dumb question

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How do you post a reply to a specific post in the Howardforums? I can't
find reply listed under thread tools??? I am logged in.

gary

Gary wrote:
> How do you post a reply to a specific post in the Howardforums? I can't
> find reply listed under thread tools??? I am logged in.

Click on "Quote" on the message you want to reply to. This will put you
in reply mode with the message you are replying to block quoted. Took me
a while to figure that out too.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

CharlesH wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>> How do you post a reply to a specific post in the Howardforums? I
>> can't find reply listed under thread tools??? I am logged in.
>

> Click on "Quote" on the message you want to reply to. This will put you
> in reply mode with the message you are replying to block quoted. Took me
> a while to figure that out too.

Thank you. I feel better that I'm not the only one who was puzzled!

gary

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

CharlesH wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>> How do you post a reply to a specific post in the Howardforums? I
>> can't find reply listed under thread tools??? I am logged in.
>

> Click on "Quote" on the message you want to reply to. This will put you
> in reply mode with the message you are replying to block quoted. Took me
> a while to figure that out too.

Well the mystery continues. While using Firefox there is no "Quote" or
even "New Thread" or "Reply" button visible! No wonder it was hard to
do. I checked using IE and Mozilla and all buttons were kosher. Anyone
have a clue as to what's going on with Firefox?? Sorry for the OT

gary

Gary wrote:
> Well the mystery continues. While using Firefox there is no "Quote" or
> even "New Thread" or "Reply" button visible! No wonder it was hard to
> do. I checked using IE and Mozilla and all buttons were kosher. Anyone
> have a clue as to what's going on with Firefox?? Sorry for the OT

Under the line that says "File Edit View Go..." there's a row of icons.
Hold the mouse over each one and you'll get a little tag help. To "quote"
you want the one that says "followup to newsgroup"; to start a new
thread you want "post to newsgroup".

clifto wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> Well the mystery continues. While using Firefox there is
>> no "Quote" or even "New Thread" or "Reply" button
>> visible! No wonder it was hard to do. I checked using IE
>> and Mozilla and all buttons were kosher. Anyone have a
>> clue as to what's going on with Firefox?? Sorry for
>> the OT
>
> Under the line that says "File Edit View Go..." there's a
> row of icons. Hold the mouse over each one and you'll get
> a little tag help. To "quote" you want the one that says
> "followup to newsgroup"; to start a new thread you want
> "post to newsgroup".

ummm... it's a forum he is trying to reply to. One that runs
that very common forum software for presentation on a
web browser. Not a newsgroup. Unless this is the way
that Firefox enables those buttons on a web page...

-Quick

"Gary" <gareth@capecod.net> wrote in message
> CharlesH wrote:
> > Gary wrote:
> >
> >> How do you post a reply to a specific post in the Howardforums? I
> >> can't find reply listed under thread tools??? I am logged in.
> >

> > Click on "Quote" on the message you want to reply to. This will put you
> > in reply mode with the message you are replying to block quoted. Took
me
> > a while to figure that out too.
>

> Well the mystery continues. While using Firefox there is no "Quote" or
> even "New Thread" or "Reply" button visible! No wonder it was hard to
> do. I checked using IE and Mozilla and all buttons were kosher. Anyone
> have a clue as to what's going on with Firefox?? Sorry for the OT
>
> gary

I have been using Netscape at work without difficulty. I just checked at
home with Firefox 0.9.3 and it also displays correctly. On the bottom right
side of each post is a button labelled quote and next to it is an icon of a
pen and paper which floats the label "Quick Reply to this Message" Beneath
the last post on the left hand side is a Post Reply button.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Carl Keehn wrote:
> "Gary" <gareth@capecod.net> wrote in message
>
>>CharlesH wrote:

>> > Click on "Quote" on the message you want to reply to. This will put you
>> > in reply mode with the message you are replying to block quoted. Took
>
> me
>
>> > a while to figure that out too.
>>

>>Well the mystery continues. While using Firefox there is no "Quote" or
>>even "New Thread" or "Reply" button visible! No wonder it was hard to
>>do. I checked using IE and Mozilla and all buttons were kosher. Anyone
>>have a clue as to what's going on with Firefox?? Sorry for the OT
>>
>>gary
>

> I have been using Netscape at work without difficulty. I just checked at
> home with Firefox 0.9.3 and it also displays correctly. On the bottom right
> side of each post is a button labelled quote and next to it is an icon of a
> pen and paper which floats the label "Quick Reply to this Message" Beneath
> the last post on the left hand side is a Post Reply button.

Yes this is very strange. Those buttons should be there - but they are
not. I am fairly computer savy and am trying to figure this out, but am
stumped :>

gary

Firefox is not set up for reading newsgroups. It is for going to web
sites, including HF. However Thunderbird is meant for reading
newsgroups. Check with your ISP for it's newsgroup settings. Who is
your ISP? Hopefully it does have a newsgroup feed.

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> Firefox is not set up for reading newsgroups. It is for
> going to web sites, including HF. However Thunderbird is
> meant for reading newsgroups. Check with your ISP for
> it's newsgroup settings. Who is your ISP? Hopefully it
> does have a newsgroup feed.

Yeesh... again, he is looking at a forum (website) not a
newsgroup.

-Quick

Gary <gareth@capecod.net> wrote in news:42C9CC74.5060300@capecod.net:

> CharlesH wrote:
> > Gary wrote:
> >
> >> How do you post a reply to a specific post in the Howardforums? I
> >> can't find reply listed under thread tools??? I am logged in.
> >

> > Click on "Quote" on the message you want to reply to. This will put
> > you in reply mode with the message you are replying to block quoted.
> > Took me a while to figure that out too.
>

> Well the mystery continues. While using Firefox there is no "Quote" or
> even "New Thread" or "Reply" button visible! No wonder it was hard to
> do. I checked using IE and Mozilla and all buttons were kosher. Anyone
> have a clue as to what's going on with Firefox?? Sorry for the OT
>
> gary

gary, check under tools/options/web features If you have "load images "
unchecked or "for the originating web site only" checked , the buttons do
not show.

bd

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>>Well the mystery continues. While using Firefox there is no "Quote" or
>>even "New Thread" or "Reply" button visible! No wonder it was hard to
>>do. I checked using IE and Mozilla and all buttons were kosher. Anyone
>>have a clue as to what's going on with Firefox?? Sorry for the OT
>>
>>gary
>

> gary, check under tools/options/web features If you have "load images "
> unchecked or "for the originating web site only" checked , the buttons do
> not show.
>
> bd

Verrrry Cool bd - I had orig web site checked. Many thanks.

gary

That is what I am talking about. He read and posted to this news
group. Using a web site to read and post to news groups is using the
wrong tool. I consider it a work-around, kludge. Using a news reader
or a combination mail and news reader like Thunderbird, is a better
option. Since he has Mozilla Firefox, then Mozilla Thunderbird seems a
good choice. It seems to do a good job for me.