Sygate Personal Firewall blocks access from local network

Hi,
i've got a problem with the Sygate Personal Firewall Version 5.5 Build
2525 my flat-mate recently installed on his computer running under XP.
We have a local network and i wanna share some of his files and his
printer. When i try to ping him from my Linuxbox nothing comes back,
when i switch off the firewall and do ping again everything works fine.
I enabled "Allow others to share my files and printers" under
/tools/options/network neighborhood and disabled "Enable driver level
protection" and "NetBIOS Protection", but it still does not work.
Any ideas?

Regards
Jens
7 answers Last reply
More about sygate personal firewall blocks access local network

    Assuming you want to allow unlimited traffic between LAN computers, you can just
    add a rule to the advanced rules that allows all traffic to and from the
    specific IP's in your LAN. I no longer have SPF installed, so I can't give you
    details, but I had it installed briefly for evaluation, and that is what I did
    to allow traffic beyond normal file and printer sharing.
    crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com

    Did you define the local network correctly?

    - Joris

    Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:
    > Did you define the local network correctly?
    Yes, because without the Sygate Firewall everything works fine. The
    "Network interface" under /tools/options/network neighborhood is set to
    the right interface card(there is only one).

    Jens

    I actually meant that Sygate is aware what the IP subnets of the LAN are.
    In at least ZA you need to set these up manually, so ZA handles local
    traffic different from Internet traffic.

    Please ensure that your internet router blocks LAN IPs coming from the
    Internet.

    Jens Herrmann wrote:

    > Hi,
    > i've got a problem with the Sygate Personal Firewall Version 5.5 Build
    > 2525 my flat-mate recently installed on his computer running under XP.
    > We have a local network and i wanna share some of his files and his
    > printer. When i try to ping him from my Linuxbox nothing comes back,
    > when i switch off the firewall and do ping again everything works fine.
    > I enabled "Allow others to share my files and printers" under
    > /tools/options/network neighborhood and disabled "Enable driver level
    > protection" and "NetBIOS Protection", but it still does not work.
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards
    > Jens

    Instead of trying to "ping" the box, have you actually tried to share
    files? Do a search for his box using his IP address and see if you can
    access it. My network is set up so that pings time out, but I can share
    files and printers.

    "Crash" Dummy wrote:
    > Assuming you want to allow unlimited traffic between LAN computers, you can just
    > add a rule to the advanced rules that allows all traffic to and from the
    > specific IP's in your LAN. I no longer have SPF installed, so I can't give you
    > details, but I had it installed briefly for evaluation, and that is what I did
    > to allow traffic beyond normal file and printer sharing.
    Thanks, that solved the problem. (and saved me days of disputs with my
    flatmate)

    Jens

    >Thanks, that solved the problem. (and saved me days of disputs with my
    >flatmate)

    Glad I could contribute to World peace. :-)
    crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com

Firewalls Printers Networking