Still kinda new to this, got a question...

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I've never messed with overvoltage before, so I'm not sure exactly where it applies. I was hoping you could enlighten me. Here's my specs:
Fortron Source 400w Blue Storm
GA-7N400Pro2 (nForce 2 Ultra 400, allows FSB through BIOS and Multiplier control through dip switches)
Athlon XP 2700+ Thoroughbred B 333 Mhz FSB (default is 166FSB x 13.0)
Coolermaster Aero7+ heatsink w/ Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal compound
2x512 MB PC 2700 RAM (I know, I know, shoulda gotten PC 3200...)
BFG 6800 GT OC

Here's the short version:
It boots to Windows (temperature is fine, about 42-44c idle, never let it completely settle in the unstable clock rate...) and crashes during 3DMark05.

Here's the long version:
I upped the multiplier to 13.5 in a tiny overclock that identifies my 2700+ as a 2800+ in the BIOS booting up, and that's stable. Currently running at it.
When I push it to 14.0 (which is where the first noticable increase in performance when loading Windows XP came) I can get into Windows fine, but 3DMark05 crashes. The system just reboots however, not shuts down like when my video card was overheating. (took the case sides off to fix that problem)
I've heard about overvoltage helping make a faster overclock run more stable, but - sorry if I'm missing something obvious - I'm under the impression that where that's normally applied is if the computer won't even boot at all, even to BIOS.

So would slight overvoltage help the instability problem?

Also - again, sorry if this seems like a stupid question - I'm not entirely sure if the only stress from overvoltage is the added heat (which isn't a problem at these lower speeds yet) or if there's some sort of extra stress because it's not designed for higher voltage.

Hope I'm not seeming to stupid here, but I've never gotten into voltage yet. >_>

sharps107

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
a few things to point out:
always calculate the final result clock speed when changing your multiplier or fsb.
if you DO realize that you have that 2.1ghz xp at 2.3xx , then you need to know that you sheer clock speed is the problem, even if you are not on stock cooling. crashing in 3dmark 05 is not a surprise at that speed. as for voltage, it is a two-edged sword. more voltage will increase your stability IF you have more-than adequate cooling. with stock cooling, it will generate more heat and perhaps reduce the stability and life of your proc. if you want a better oc, i recommend the coolermaster copper-cored athlon xp cooler with a thermaltake 60mm strapped onto it. also, try working with the fsb and a stock multiplier for more gradual and stable overclocking. my old tbred b responded MUCH better to an fsb overclock with a bit more mem voltage. (overvolting the mem to up to 2.8v should be fine). and i saw more of a performance increase. so you should stick to an fsb oc at stock multiplier and 1.65 volts. also, im assuming you've unlocked this xp already? if you have not, or have no idea what that means, stop now, because your multipliers could be the reason for the problem. (maybe you got some half-ass multiplier lock, idk). at any rate, reduce your speed and your multiplier and try a different avenue for your oc. good luck. (also, add a fan or something so you can close your damn case door, or bring down the oc from that video card.)

-I'm Laughing At It Now-

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Okay, thanks for the response. I didn't start out with a FSB overclock because I not only have a rather off brand (Centon) and it's also their value RAM which I got dirt cheap. >_>
I'll try overclocking that too instead of going through the multiplier on the CPU.
I also kinda like my PC with the case sides off. >_> It's not that my video card is overclocked either. I just got unlucky with that part, and the stock speeds run hot. But I like being able to see inside my case, and noise isn't a problem.

Anyway, I'm still slightly confused on a few things though:
-Even with the higher clock speed (which I pre-calculated, yes, but have heard of other 2700+'s going that far) since it boots to Windows, would any overvoltage help stability? I'm not going to try it that way at this point, but I'd still like to be better informed.

-Does overvoltage add stress in a way beyond the extra heat generated?

-What percentage will the average cheaper stick of RAM overclock? I know every component is different, but I'm curious what they normally get to.

sharps107

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
Yes, overvoltage does as additional stress beyond just heat, but it will provide extra stability IF you have adeqate cooling. this extra stress may reduce the lifespan of your proc though.
as i said, up the RAM voltage to 2.7 or 2.8v, and bring the latency up to 3-4-4 or 3-3-3, and you will get a 20-25% oc no problem, even with so called value RAM, which is simply the lower speed binned versions of better chips.

also, chip yields differ, changing the amount of headroom you have for overclocking. one chip may run just fine at 2.3ghz with temps under 55c, whereas your chip may actually have almost no headroom for overclocking and run very hot even at stock speeds. once again, this also depends on your cooling.

as for your vid card, all BFG cards ARE OCed out of the box.
although it should be perfectly stable.

Sorry i wasnt more clear (i was VERY sleepy when i posted before)

if you have any more questions just pm me and leave the forum open for other threads.

-I'm Laughing At It Now-