Your question

HELP WITH CABLE SLEEVING!!

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cable
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 4, 2005 10:20:07 PM

So I was bored and decided to sleeve my PS cables with Vantex UV sleeving. You guys weren't kidding this is alot of work.
Does anyone know if the two black center pins on the (4 pin) molex connectors have a certain orientation? They both appear to be ground. When I ran the sleeving I never paid attention as to which went where, I just made sure I had the yellow and red in the right places. Will this fry my stuff if the two blacks are switched?? I'm not sure if all the black wires correspond feed the same slot on each molex connector in the daisy chain. I hate to hook up my GeForce 6800 and have it get fried over something stupid like sleeving. Please help..

More about : cable sleeving

April 5, 2005 2:03:39 AM

Crap. Thats what I was afraid of. There's like a rats nest of wires coming out off the Power Supply Circuit Board. Worse case if I hooked this up and they were crossed, it just wouldnt work, because I assume the 12v and 5v rails are different loops.
Any way I can figure out which is which with a voltmemter?
April 5, 2005 4:23:26 PM

it doesnt matter with the ground.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>
Related resources
April 5, 2005 10:35:43 PM

you use the positive 5v and the positive 12 volt. i dont know how that works but it does.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>
April 6, 2005 4:40:10 PM

Don't forget the old term for Voltage is <i>potential difference</i> it's the difference between your 'high' rail and your 'ground'. Think of ground as a +0V line if that helps:
<i>Potential Difference</i> between 12V and 0V is 12V, between 5V and 12V is 7V (12 - 5 = 7)

As the fans don't actually require grounding, and as they're just simple motors whose rotational speed is governed by the voltage they're fed, having a 5V 'Ground' has no ill effect on them.

To agree with everyone else, there is <b>NO</b> difference between the two black wires.

I suspect the only reason for there being two is so if something draws a lot of current off both the 12V and 5V lines, then the ground wire completing the circuit would effectively be a thinner gauge wire and therefore (in theory) it would halve the maximum current that each line could handle before it does an impression of the filament in a lightbulb (although the amount of current required to overload that thickness would be pretty ridiculous)

I probably didn't explain that very well though :eek:  ...

---
Winnie 3200+ @ ~2.5Ghz, ~1.41V
1Gb @ 209Mhz, 2T, 3-5-5-10
Asus 6800GT 128Mb
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2005 7:02:30 AM

Wussy was dead wrong, both black wires are zero volts and grounded to a common ground.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2005 7:07:04 AM

No Wussy: The 7v mod uses the 12v wire (yellow) and the 5v wire (red), both positive. 12 minus 5 is 7.

Go back to school, that's +12 minus +5 equals +7. +12 minus -5 equals +17.

There aren't even any -5v wires on a 4-pin molex. The 7v comes from the difference of a greater positive voltage (12) and a lesser positive voltage (5). At the fan itself, that means the +5v line is a "floating ground" for the fan, at the fan itself the 5v line becomes "0v" because the fan isn't grounded to the chassis.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
April 8, 2005 2:49:33 PM

the fan will run like that wusy, but its not running at 7v.

!