Sign in with
Your question

How to increase fps in pc games.

Last response: in Video Games
March 10, 2013 12:07:51 PM

I just bought a relatively good pc and was wondering how to increase/boost the fps in the games that I play. I play DayZ, War Thunder, Civilization V, Crysis 3, LoL, and a few others.

Specs:
Gigabyte z77x-ud3h motherboard
Intel core i5-3750k cpu
Gigabyte radeon HD 7950 gpu
Kingston 2x4 (8) gbs of RAM (I will upgrade)
xfx pro 550w 80 plus bronze (should I upgrade this?)

If you need more info about my computer then let me know. And I thank you guys in advance for taking the time to read this post/topic.

More about : increase fps games

March 10, 2013 12:23:39 PM

That's not a good pc, that's a great pc.

As to how to improve performance,
1). Make sure your drivers are up to date and Windows is fully patched
2). Make sure your hard drives, not SSDs, are defragmented

3). To a certain extent the cpu and graphics card can be overclocked
3.1).cpu, this can be easily overclocked using the eufi/bios or the motherboard's software overclocking utility
3.2) graphics card, this can be overclocked using the Catayst Control Centre or other tools like EVGA precision
m
l
March 10, 2013 12:24:20 PM

Lowering settings is a surefire way to increase frames,
What kind of frames are you getting on games that are so bad?
Moto
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2013 1:11:22 PM

What Pauls3743 said: Overclock that CPU (beacuse is the BEST) and overclock a bit the GPU, and you will get even better results. And dont forget to upgrade all drivers. And when you say you're gonna upgrade your RAM what do you mean? More RAM is useless for gaming, unless you get faster RAM (like 2000Mhz)-->great for Overclocks.
m
l
March 10, 2013 2:28:51 PM

I was thinking of putting in another set of 2x4 gb ram. If you guys dont recommend it then I wont. @Moto I am not getting bad fps but I feel like my computer should be getting a bit more. I get 60+fps in DayZ running at max graphics, and it sometimes drops to around 40.
m
l
March 10, 2013 3:19:33 PM

If you overclock that i5 to 4.something you will run everyting at its maximun. That processor is meant to be OCed I'd dare say. I have the same one running at 4.2Ghz adn it ROCKS. One of the best processors out there.
m
l
March 10, 2013 4:19:07 PM

bruniss said:
If you overclock that i5 to 4.something you will run everyting at its maximun. That processor is meant to be OCed I'd dare say. I have the same one running at 4.2Ghz adn it ROCKS. One of the best processors out there.

Be careful what you say. No system plays everything at maximum settings. There are lots of games that even require SLI/Crossfire setups, with 7970/680's, to lower settings. People are always coming here thinking they have a problem because they heard that their system can run anything at max settings, but they can't.
m
l
March 10, 2013 4:49:23 PM

If you want a huge improvement a second 7950 will do the job (you will need to upgrade the PSU as well for this), but otherwise as stated overclocking will help but more than 8Gb RAM will not.
m
l
March 10, 2013 5:15:26 PM

bystander said:
Be careful what you say. No system plays everything at maximum settings. There are lots of games that even require SLI/Crossfire setups, with 7970/680's, to lower settings. People are always coming here thinking they have a problem because they heard that their system can run anything at max settings, but they can't.

I know, it was just figured speech. I have the I5 and one 680 and in some games a need to lower a bit the AA or the anisotropic filters.
m
l
March 10, 2013 5:16:49 PM

**I get 60+fps in DayZ running at max graphics, and it sometimes drops to around 40**

A lot of folks are struggling to even get 60 Fps lol, a dip to 40 isn't a killer hehe,
Go for the 4GHz overclock, that should help but like Bystander said, Sometimes the Pc isn't the problem :) 
Moto
m
l
March 11, 2013 2:14:09 PM

Install Razer Game Booster. Shuts off all unnecessary windows programs when you launch a game. I got a 15 - 20 fps increase on Skyrim.
m
l
March 13, 2013 12:02:46 AM

if it is a i5 or i7 it is already ocing look into a Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology Monitor 3.8ghz with Turbo Boost and update your video drivers too they do not update on there own. Even on auto update.
m
l
May 21, 2013 8:24:49 AM

moesesful said:
I just bought a relatively good pc and was wondering how to increase/boost the fps in the games that I play. I play DayZ, War Thunder, Civilization V, Crysis 3, LoL, and a few others.

Specs:
Intel core i5-3750k cpu

If you need more info about my computer then let me know. And I thank you guys in advance for taking the time to read this post/topic.

Here are some things I suggest:
1. Download some registry tweaks. Go to this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVd3toDmYGo
2. Download SmartDefrag (Clears out files so you can run the game faster). Go to this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OyZBLHWMYo
3. Check out your graphics card health! Go to this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cmfLYAeo6Y
4. Download AVG PC Tuneup (It fixes alot of problems!). Go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POVKSI6tBco
Settings in the game:
1. Put all settings to minimum/medium
2. Lower resolution!
Sorry if it doesn't work!
m
l
May 21, 2013 1:45:09 PM

moesesful said:

Specs:
Intel core i5-3750k cpu

Obviously you know lower settings=more frames, so I don't think that's what you're asking for. Really the only thing that will get you more out of your setup is overclocking. Check out the overclocking forums.
m
l
May 22, 2013 4:51:48 AM

moesesful said:

Specs:
Intel core i5-3750k cpu

Your PC is actually great.>.> DayZ(ArmaII) is really a hog, I can't even play it fluidly.:/ You can OC your CPU and a bit of your GPU but you need to have a good CPU cooler.
m
l
May 23, 2013 8:22:10 AM

**Settings in the game:
1. Put all settings to minimum/medium
2. Lower resolution!
I'm sorry, do what?
Sacrilege hast thou spoken to the gaming community, henceforth none shall lend an ear to your rambling and cast out shalt thou be.....
:p 
Moto
m
l
August 10, 2013 2:41:54 AM

i got a:
Processor: inter(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz
Ram: 6.00GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, 64x-based processor

...and i just got this laptop and when i play crossfire i only get like 20-35 fps?
please help!
m
l
August 10, 2013 8:06:31 AM

You have a laptop, they aren't going to perform as well as a PC. You can't play newer games at max settings, lower them. What games are you talking about anyways?
m
l
August 10, 2013 5:47:30 PM

Crossfire isn't that new and its requirements are like Half-life or HL2. But since you're using an intel gpu, the fps is fine.
m
l
October 9, 2013 10:33:07 AM

Andrew Johnson said:
Install Razer Game Booster. Shuts off all unnecessary windows programs when you launch a game. I got a 15 - 20 fps increase on Skyrim.

I use GBoost from Majorgeeks.com. A stand alone program that does the same as Razer without all the hastle.Shuts down unessary services, etc. Aero glass,transparencies and so on and no ads. :-)
m
l
December 21, 2013 7:49:12 PM

bystander said:
You have a laptop, they aren't going to perform as well as a PC. You can't play newer games at max settings, lower them. What games are you talking about anyways?

Is 20+ fps fine for radeon 6730m 2gb? Laptop here as well, i7 processor, 8gb ddr3. Running bf4 on all low settings, i kinda feel a 2gb gmemory shld do btr than that...
m
l
December 21, 2013 9:01:50 PM

2Gb has very little to do with performance. That is a lower end card, on a mobile device. I really am not sure what you can get, but it doesn't surprise me that you are getting such low FPS on low.
m
l
!