GTA VC-PS2 : GameFaq glitch to access west island with new..

Hello,

I found only yesterday on GameFaqs
(http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/code/561545.html) the following
Vice City glitch (recopied here for the sake of the discussion, but all
credits go to Gamefaq user randomer):

"Get to mainland at start of game (requires previous save on mainland)
(...)
Start a mission on the mainland and kill yourself. When you wake up in
hospital don't do anything, just start a new game. As soon as you gain
control of tommy kill him. (Whatever you do, do not start any
missions). When you get up at the hospital get straight in the taxi. It
will take you to your mission location on the second island."

I had never seen this trick described before, and I tried several
attempts last night, but never made it...

I executed all directions blindly... But when Tommy reappears at the
hospital on the first island after killing him in the new game, there's
no pink-arrow taxi to bring him anywhere... Seems normal as no mission
was started in the new game...

I tried several times, then tried various variations, killing Tommy at
various points in the first game on West island, starting a new game at
various stages after waking at the hospital, killing Tommy at various
locations and stages in the new game,...

I also tried to kill Tommy just after entering the first real mission
("The party")... but the taxi here brings you to "The party" mission
location (Roz' office).
I haven't tried killing him after the very first "mission" ("An old
friend"), but as this one is automatically passed, I guess no Taxi
would appear to bring him to any mission location...

Has anyone here actually used this trick? Is there anything special,
combination of locations, time,... whatever factor, that makes it work?

jduprez <jduprezdoesnotlikespam@visitmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone here actually used this trick? Is there anything special,
> combination of locations, time,... whatever factor, that makes it work?

If the goal is to get to the second (or even third) island, there's a
much more entertaining way. Look around in the FAQs a bit more. You
should see a technique to jump into the movie studio using a rice
rocket, rearrange the Packer truck, then jump across the road barrier
to the third island.

Once there, save up some money and by Hymann's condo and you'll be set
with a heli and a savepoint. It might take you a while to set everything
up the first time (I had lots of missed jumps) but eventually you should
be able to tune it down to a few minutes.

Can't comment on this other technique.

Caden wrote:

> jduprez <jduprezdoesnotlikespam@visitmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone here actually used this trick? Is there anything special,
> > combination of locations, time,... whatever factor, that makes it work?
>
> If the goal is to get to the second (or even third) island, there's a
> much more entertaining way. Look around in the FAQs a bit more. You
> should see a technique to jump into the movie studio using a rice
> rocket, rearrange the Packer truck, then jump across the road barrier
> to the third island.
>
> Once there, save up some money and by Hymann's condo and you'll be set
> with a heli and a savepoint. It might take you a while to set everything
> up the first time (I had lots of missed jumps) but eventually you should
> be able to tune it down to a few minutes.
>
> Can't comment on this other technique.

I've posted here and elsewhere instructions on how to hop the second
gate on the docks of the first island from where you can take a boat
and access the other island, where you can get a helicopter etc.
--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> I've posted here and elsewhere instructions on how to hop the second
> gate on the docks of the first island from where you can take a boat
> and access the other island, where you can get a helicopter etc.

Right. That's the fastest, easiest way I know. All other ways I've heard
of are WAY more trouble.

--cleve

> > I've posted here and elsewhere instructions on how to hop the second
> > gate on the docks of the first island from where you can take a boat
> > and access the other island, where you can get a helicopter etc.
>
> Right. That's the fastest, easiest way I know. All other ways I've heard
> of are WAY more trouble.

Not to mention dangerous. Backing an ambulance into the gate at the docks
and using it to jump through the hole is about the only method I know that's
virtually risk-free. All the others involve crazy jumps over barriers onto
the bridges, which are difficult to do without winding up in the drink or
trashing several vehicles in the process. (Or there's the method where you
jump onto a passing boat and hijack it, but that's even more risky, as a
slight mis-timing will end up feeding the fish for sure.) There's almost no
way to fatally screw up the ambulance-at-the-docks trick.

In message <1111578657.471569.269280@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>
"jduprez" <jduprezdoesnotlikespam@visitmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone here actually used this trick? Is there anything special,
> combination of locations, time,... whatever factor, that makes it work?

Sheer fantasy I'd expect, and some people think that big companies like
Rockstar don't playtest properly. Ha!

Cheers,
Rob

In message <d1s795$e1m$1@gondor.sdsu.edu>
Caden <caden@fake.com> wrote:

> Once there, save up some money and by Hymann's condo and you'll be set
> with a heli and a savepoint. It might take you a while to set everything
> up the first time (I had lots of missed jumps) but eventually you should
> be able to tune it down to a few minutes.

Better still, do all the miscellanous missions or maybe just collect
all the available packages (34 I think) before doing it. It'll leave
you with more than enough money and access to a Hunter early on too.

That particuler jump is my preferred method, I can do it 100% of the
time on my first try.

Cheers,
Rob

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> > > I've posted here and elsewhere instructions on how to hop the second
> > > gate on the docks of the first island from where you can take a boat
> > > and access the other island, where you can get a helicopter etc.
> >
> > Right. That's the fastest, easiest way I know. All other ways I've heard
> > of are WAY more trouble.
>
> Not to mention dangerous. Backing an ambulance into the gate at the docks
> and using it to jump through the hole is about the only method I know that's
> virtually risk-free. All the others involve crazy jumps over barriers onto
> the bridges, which are difficult to do without winding up in the drink or
> trashing several vehicles in the process. (Or there's the method where you
> jump onto a passing boat and hijack it, but that's even more risky, as a
> slight mis-timing will end up feeding the fish for sure.) There's almost no
> way to fatally screw up the ambulance-at-the-docks trick.

'cept the first few times i tried it and did stuff like roll into the
water :O)
--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

OK thanks.
Yes, the goal is to access all islands at the start of the game, and I
had already seen the other ways discussed on this NG, but I thought the
"new game" trick would be 100% secure indeed : I've drowned Tommy
behind Prawn Island a few times already... ;-)

I hadn't realized that the ambulance-at-the-pier trick worked so easily
and risklessly all the times : I will try this instead, thanks.

J.

Cleve <clevens@cox.net> wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>> I've posted here and elsewhere instructions on how to hop the second
>> gate on the docks of the first island from where you can take a boat
>> and access the other island, where you can get a helicopter etc.

> Right. That's the fastest, easiest way I know. All other ways I've heard
> of are WAY more trouble.

Well, I did say the bike jump was 'entertaining.' :) It's definitely
in the spirit of getting to the third island early, which is why I like
it. Whatever works.

Kudos to Paul and the FAQ contributors who spent the time finding the gaps.

Caden wrote:

> Cleve <clevens@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> >> I've posted here and elsewhere instructions on how to hop the second
> >> gate on the docks of the first island from where you can take a boat
> >> and access the other island, where you can get a helicopter etc.
>
> > Right. That's the fastest, easiest way I know. All other ways I've heard
> > of are WAY more trouble.
>
> Well, I did say the bike jump was 'entertaining.' :) It's definitely
> in the spirit of getting to the third island early, which is why I like
> it. Whatever works.
>
> Kudos to Paul and the FAQ contributors who spent the time finding the gaps.

I tried that bike jump a few times but for some damned reason I kept
hitting things!
--

> Caden wrote:
>>

>> Cleve <clevens@cox.net> wrote:
>>

>> > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> I tried that bike jump a few times but for some damned reason I kept
> hitting things!

Last night, I started a new game, took a motorcycle and jumped into the movie
studio, stacked one of those car carriers on top of the other near the fence
closest to the northermost bridge to create a steep ramp, and jumped a
patriot onto that bridge. Then, I stole a taxi, earned $1000, and bought the
shack to save my game. Pretty cool...

Scott Gregg wrote:

> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > Caden wrote:

> > I tried that bike jump a few times but for some damned reason I kept
> > hitting things!
>
> Last night, I started a new game, took a motorcycle and jumped into the movie
> studio, stacked one of those car carriers on top of the other near the fence
> closest to the northermost bridge to create a steep ramp, and jumped a
> patriot onto that bridge. Then, I stole a taxi, earned $1000, and bought the
> shack to save my game. Pretty cool...

:O) sounds like you're enjoying it. I had to restart recently but
just did it the usual way. i was surprised by how quickly I got
everything, though I don't bother with fire missions
--

Rob White wrote:

> In message <4243E9DD.70396E1A@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I tried that bike jump a few times but for some damned reason I kept
> > hitting things!
>
> I can't be certain, but I'm sure there are loads of invisible walls
> which disappear along with the bridge barricades. Try using the
> mini-gun on the wall you can jump in the film studio. There appears to
> be an invisible wall about a foot tall just above it.
>
> The same thing goes for Pier 1, I tried the Taxi trick and the cab hits
> something on one of the sides but then promptly disappears when you
> unlock it properly. Very strange.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

Aye, the whole thing is enough to send you doolaly