Upgrade help!? (Long question)

Isamu966

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
I decided to go for a 64bit processor, mainly a AMD 3500+ Winchester core. With that, I need a new mobo and decided on the Asus A8V Deluxe. No PCIe since I think I want to keep my 9800XT.

The problem is that since I'm pinching for money and went for a OEM 64bit 3500+ and it doesn't come with a heatsink fan, and probably no retention bracket too. I wanted to get a Zalman CNPS7700 because of obvious cooling performance and noise emission, but I'm afraid of the weight, with 450 being recommended max weight of the HSF for AMD64. Plus for the A8V mobo, Zalman requires the removal of the retention bracket to install the HSF, due to capacitors being in the way. On top of that I'll be moving my computer about every week or so.

Now to the real questions.

I just dont know what HSF I should get, is weight really that big of a problem when moving around, is the retention bracket really that important, or should I just try another mobo?

Its just that I like the Asus features of auto optimizing, setting backups...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by isamu966 on 04/10/05 01:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
I don't recommend the Asus board, I'd recommend the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum or FISR if you don't need all the features, or the Gigabyte GAK8NS-939, I just like Nforce chipsets over VIA. As for the heastink go with the Thermalright XP120 if you get the Gigabyte, or stick with your CNPS7700 if you go for the MSI. The Retention bracket comes with the motherboard, so no worries there. And since you're moving I'd recommend a full aluminum heatsink from Thermalright, such as the XP90, it's very light and performs very well.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The answer is obvious: If you like the 7700, get the one aluminum/copper/aluminum sandwiched version. The cooling difference is unnoticeable, and it's lighter.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Isamu966

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Yeah, that XP120 looks like a good one. Not that heavy plus still uses brackets and with only a little capacitor tilting will fit the asus.

I'm still using the asus since i'm dont oc that much and I forgot to mention that I wanted the optical out for my speakers.

As for the good suggestion of using the 7700alcu, I thought of that but 600g with no retention bracket. I looked up the smaller 7000 alcu under 437g which is under the max but now still without the bracket. I'm just afraid of crushing the cpu while moving the case.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by isamu966 on 04/10/05 03:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

montgods

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check out the Arctic Cooling fans. I have one on an A8v-E Deluxe and its super quiet and temperature controlled. The mount is pretty big and secure - I don't think its gonna break off. Also, the heatsink is aluminum and I would guess lighter than the Zalman.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu1.php?p=3&disc=

Monty