NV Silencer running backwards

montgods

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just bought a Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 6 for my video card. The fan runs backwards. It is supposed to blow warm air out out of the case, not draw it in. It is advertised to operate in this manner . It is not possible to just swap the pins as the fan unit has some electronics on it. I tried it just in case. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Monty

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
No they're designed that way.

I just finished my yearly maintenance of my system and after I reassembled my GPU and did a quick power up to check that everything was beeping, turning and whining and screaming like it should be I noticed that my Arctic Cooler VGA for my Radeon GPU wasn't turning. OOPS! Forgot the floppy connector. Plug it in and tried again still nothing. Checked everything and came to the conclusion I had that little red/black wire that connects the cooler to the GPU backwards. After switching it around everything worked.

I also thought it ran backwards but that's the way it's suppose to rotate. If it rotated the other way it would be sucking air in from the rear and that would 'cause problems with airflow within the system. Besides if that was the case that it was spinning the wrong way, I'd have fried GPU on my plate for dinner :lol: .

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>