Netbios over Sonicwall tz170 VPN Connection

I have a new Sonicwall tz170 and VPN setup. For the last few weeks I
have been having trouble getting to mapped drives via Netbios name.
Via IP address works fine and at this point my only alternative is to
change login scripts to map to IP addresses instead of netbios names
and that looks messy.

Sonicwall support has been little help so far and they claim that the
reason may be that we are connecting to the VPN with 56K modem.

I testing I have been successful using Netbios to mapped drives with
my own laptop and cannot figure out why I am unsuccessful with my
clients laptops. The only diference that I can think of is that with
the clients laptops I login to Windows using cached domain credentials
and then establish a VPN connection. With my laptop I login with a
local account and then VPN.

Anybody else have similar issue? Otherwise I may just change the login
scripts and be done with it even though I hate to.

David Ball CNE, MCSE

On 28 Jun 2004 13:17:32 -0700, dball63 spoketh

>I have a new Sonicwall tz170 and VPN setup. For the last few weeks I
>have been having trouble getting to mapped drives via Netbios name.
>Via IP address works fine and at this point my only alternative is to
>change login scripts to map to IP addresses instead of netbios names
>and that looks messy.
>
>Sonicwall support has been little help so far and they claim that the
>reason may be that we are connecting to the VPN with 56K modem.
>
>I testing I have been successful using Netbios to mapped drives with
>my own laptop and cannot figure out why I am unsuccessful with my
>clients laptops. The only diference that I can think of is that with
>the clients laptops I login to Windows using cached domain credentials
>and then establish a VPN connection. With my laptop I login with a
>local account and then VPN.
>
>Anybody else have similar issue? Otherwise I may just change the login
>scripts and be done with it even though I hate to.
>
>David Ball CNE, MCSE

Any time you need NetBIOS name resolution across networks, you need to
use WINS. Install a WINS server at the main location, have your file
server(s) register with it as well as the workstations at the remote
location(s).

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net