Anyone else have poor cellualr coverage with the Treo 650?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 5, 2005 1:23:50 AM

Hi all,

I recently went from a Motorola V710 (Tri-band) cellular phone through
Verizon to a Treo 650 (all digital) smartphone. I had very good
reliability with cellular call connections with my Motorola phone, but
the features of the Treo are very impressive. Although the Treo is
generally pretty good with calls while in my car, I do have trouble
with it in the Hospital at times and often at home. Verizon has told
me that it is an all digital phone and that the indoor coverage is not
guaranteed to be as good outdoor. This really seemed like a lame
response. I especially need much more reliable coverage in my house
with it. In various areas it goes from one or two signal bars to zero,
but the signal also tends to fluctuate even when the phone remains in
one place. Is there anyway to improve reception in my house. I have
tried the *228 programming with no improvement. Can anyone recommend a
Digital Cellular Signal Booster that is wireless or something that I
can purchase from my home? I really prefer wireless as I don't want to
have to plug my phone into anything while in my house to be able to
use it reliably.
Thanks in advance!!!
Regards,
Steve B.
PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:41:44 AM

I gave my 710 to my wife when I got the 650. I've noticed no difference in
the ability to received and make calls. The signal strength bars are
relative. They don't mean the same thing from phone to phone. I thought
hospitals asked that phones be turned off anyway.

"Steven B." <PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I recently went from a Motorola V710 (Tri-band) cellular phone through
> Verizon to a Treo 650 (all digital) smartphone. I had very good
> reliability with cellular call connections with my Motorola phone, but
> the features of the Treo are very impressive. Although the Treo is
> generally pretty good with calls while in my car, I do have trouble
> with it in the Hospital at times and often at home. Verizon has told
> me that it is an all digital phone and that the indoor coverage is not
> guaranteed to be as good outdoor. This really seemed like a lame
> response. I especially need much more reliable coverage in my house
> with it. In various areas it goes from one or two signal bars to zero,
> but the signal also tends to fluctuate even when the phone remains in
> one place. Is there anyway to improve reception in my house. I have
> tried the *228 programming with no improvement. Can anyone recommend a
> Digital Cellular Signal Booster that is wireless or something that I
> can purchase from my home? I really prefer wireless as I don't want to
> have to plug my phone into anything while in my house to be able to
> use it reliably.
> Thanks in advance!!!
> Regards,
> Steve B.
> PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:43:26 PM

Hi Steven B,

A friend of mine bought a cell phone signal booster from wireless
Extenders because he had a cell phone coverage inside his home. He
says it works great. His phone is from T-Mobile though... and he
mentioned it works only for PCS band. I believe the website is called
www.wirelessextenders.com

--
rfzenyen
July 9, 2005 2:36:59 PM

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 06:41:44 -0400, "Tee Shot" <teeshot@cox.net> wrote:

>I gave my 710 to my wife when I got the 650. I've noticed no difference in
>the ability to received and make calls. The signal strength bars are
>relative. They don't mean the same thing from phone to phone. I thought
>hospitals asked that phones be turned off anyway.

It's only a state law in Ohio. Hospital staff will use their cell
phones in the hospital all the time.

>"Steven B." <PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently went from a Motorola V710 (Tri-band) cellular phone through
>> Verizon to a Treo 650 (all digital) smartphone. I had very good
>> reliability with cellular call connections with my Motorola phone, but
>> the features of the Treo are very impressive. Although the Treo is
>> generally pretty good with calls while in my car, I do have trouble
>> with it in the Hospital at times and often at home. Verizon has told
>> me that it is an all digital phone and that the indoor coverage is not
>> guaranteed to be as good outdoor. This really seemed like a lame
>> response. I especially need much more reliable coverage in my house
>> with it. In various areas it goes from one or two signal bars to zero,
>> but the signal also tends to fluctuate even when the phone remains in
>> one place. Is there anyway to improve reception in my house. I have
>> tried the *228 programming with no improvement. Can anyone recommend a
>> Digital Cellular Signal Booster that is wireless or something that I
>> can purchase from my home? I really prefer wireless as I don't want to
>> have to plug my phone into anything while in my house to be able to
>> use it reliably.
>> Thanks in advance!!!
>> Regards,
>> Steve B.
>> PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!!!
Regards,
Steve B.
PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 10:14:19 PM

The "cell" phones the staff uses in our hospital are not of the same
variety/frequency that Verizon/Cinglular/Sprint etc. use.
Law has nothing to do with it. There's not a hospital that I've seen (and
that's many in many states) that don't request that cellphones be turned
off. Most people that care, comply.

> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 06:41:44 -0400, "Tee Shot" <teeshot@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>I gave my 710 to my wife when I got the 650. I've noticed no difference
>>in
>>the ability to received and make calls. The signal strength bars are
>>relative. They don't mean the same thing from phone to phone. I thought
>>hospitals asked that phones be turned off anyway.
>
> It's only a state law in Ohio. Hospital staff will use their cell
> phones in the hospital all the time.
>>
>>"Steven B." <PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I recently went from a Motorola V710 (Tri-band) cellular phone through
>>> Verizon to a Treo 650 (all digital) smartphone. I had very good
>>> reliability with cellular call connections with my Motorola phone, but
>>> the features of the Treo are very impressive. Although the Treo is
>>> generally pretty good with calls while in my car, I do have trouble
>>> with it in the Hospital at times and often at home. Verizon has told
>>> me that it is an all digital phone and that the indoor coverage is not
>>> guaranteed to be as good outdoor. This really seemed like a lame
>>> response. I especially need much more reliable coverage in my house
>>> with it. In various areas it goes from one or two signal bars to zero,
>>> but the signal also tends to fluctuate even when the phone remains in
>>> one place. Is there anyway to improve reception in my house. I have
>>> tried the *228 programming with no improvement. Can anyone recommend a
>>> Digital Cellular Signal Booster that is wireless or something that I
>>> can purchase from my home? I really prefer wireless as I don't want to
>>> have to plug my phone into anything while in my house to be able to
>>> use it reliably.
>>> Thanks in advance!!!
>>> Regards,
>>> Steve B.
>>> PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com
>>

> Thanks in advance!!!
> Regards,
> Steve B.
> PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 10:14:20 PM

OK... I'll bite.
Just what radios are you using then?
2-way?
Closed system cordless?

"Tee Shot" <teeshot@cox.net> wrote in message
> The "cell" phones the staff uses in our hospital are not of the same
> variety/frequency that Verizon/Cinglular/Sprint etc. use.
> Law has nothing to do with it. There's not a hospital that I've seen (and
> that's many in many states) that don't request that cellphones be turned
> off. Most people that care, comply.

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 11:02:00 AM

rfzenyen wrote:
> Hi Steven B,
>
> A friend of mine bought a cell phone signal booster from wireless
> Extenders because he had a cell phone coverage inside his home. He
> says it works great. His phone is from T-Mobile though... and he
> mentioned it works only for PCS band. I believe the website is called
> www.wirelessextenders.com

And their device is illegal for anyone to use other than a celluar/PCS
licensee.

--
Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD (USA)

BZZZZT - Wrong, sorry.
(When operated as to not cause interference)

"Michael D. Sullivan" <userid@camsul.example.invalid> wrote in message

> And their device is illegal for anyone to use other than a celluar/PCS
> licensee.
>

> --
> Michael D. Sullivan
> Bethesda, MD (USA)
> (Replace "example.invalid" with "com" in my address.)
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:01:35 PM

Steve B,

If it is illegal, then why does it have FCC ID on the product? I
believe having FCC ID means that the device complies with FCC and does
not cause interference to other devices.

I am not sure if you can say it is illegal.

--
rfzenyen
July 11, 2005 9:09:25 PM

You are incorrect in your assessment regarding cell phones in
hospitals. I was speaking from experience as I am on staff in a number
of hospitals in Ohio and we DO use our cell phones all the time in the
hospital. In fact, we are more dependent on cellular than we are on
pagers.

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 18:14:19 -0400, "Tee Shot" <teeshot@cox.net> wrote:

>The "cell" phones the staff uses in our hospital are not of the same
>variety/frequency that Verizon/Cinglular/Sprint etc. use.
>Law has nothing to do with it. There's not a hospital that I've seen (and
>that's many in many states) that don't request that cellphones be turned
>off. Most people that care, comply.
>
>"Steven B." <PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 06:41:44 -0400, "Tee Shot" <teeshot@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I gave my 710 to my wife when I got the 650. I've noticed no difference
>>>in
>>>the ability to received and make calls. The signal strength bars are
>>>relative. They don't mean the same thing from phone to phone. I thought
>>>hospitals asked that phones be turned off anyway.
>>
>> It's only a state law in Ohio. Hospital staff will use their cell
>> phones in the hospital all the time.
>>>
>>>"Steven B." <PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Thanks in advance!!!
>> Regards,
>> Steve B.
>> PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!!!
Regards,
Steve B.
PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:57:18 PM

Strongbox,

You are right. Having FCC ID means it will meet FCC standards.

There is no law that prohibits use of cell phone repeaters that I am
aware of. If there is, then many people who have cell phone repeaters
will be in violation.

--
rfzenyen
July 12, 2005 4:11:51 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:01:35 -0500, rfzenyen wrote:

> Steve B,
>
> If it is illegal, then why does it have FCC ID on the product? I
> believe having FCC ID means that the device complies with FCC and does
> not cause interference to other devices.
>
> I am not sure if you can say it is illegal.

It depends on the frequencies and service the device is used in. For
example, police radios have FCC IDs. If you use one and are not a cop you
will most likely end up in the slammer.

The FCC ID only verifies that the device meets the FCC standards, not that
it is legal for use by anyone.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:31:08 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:57:18 -0500, rfzenyen wrote:

> Strongbox,
>
> You are right. Having FCC ID means it will meet FCC standards.
>
> There is no law that prohibits use of cell phone repeaters that I am
> aware of. If there is, then many people who have cell phone repeaters
> will be in violation.

I don't know of any either. Perhaps the cell repeaters fall under the same
class as those WiFi extender repeaters you can buy for your wireless
networks.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:31:09 PM

It could fall into that category. Not certain 100%.

I wonder if hospitals could use repeaters to boost signals inside?
Particulary if a doctor uses cell phones for on call duty...

--
rfzenyen
July 14, 2005 2:42:17 AM

Steve,

The V710 has one of the best RF of any phone and is the best you can
get on Verizon. You will not get as good a signal with any other
mobile. I wonder if the new e318 (is that the model #) will have the
same high quality RF as the V710

Good luck

Ron

Steven B. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently went from a Motorola V710 (Tri-band) cellular phone through
> Verizon to a Treo 650 (all digital) smartphone. I had very good
> reliability with cellular call connections with my Motorola phone, but
> the features of the Treo are very impressive. Although the Treo is
> generally pretty good with calls while in my car, I do have trouble
> with it in the Hospital at times and often at home. Verizon has told
> me that it is an all digital phone and that the indoor coverage is not
> guaranteed to be as good outdoor. This really seemed like a lame
> response. I especially need much more reliable coverage in my house
> with it. In various areas it goes from one or two signal bars to zero,
> but the signal also tends to fluctuate even when the phone remains in
> one place. Is there anyway to improve reception in my house. I have
> tried the *228 programming with no improvement. Can anyone recommend a
> Digital Cellular Signal Booster that is wireless or something that I
> can purchase from my home? I really prefer wireless as I don't want to
> have to plug my phone into anything while in my house to be able to
> use it reliably.
> Thanks in advance!!!
> Regards,
> Steve B.
> PaceMkrRepREMOVE_NO_SPAM@Hotmail.com
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 9:06:06 PM

rfzenyen wrote:
> Strongbox,
>
> You are right. Having FCC ID means it will meet FCC
> standards.
>
> There is no law that prohibits use of cell phone
> repeaters that I am aware of. If there is, then many
> people who have cell phone repeaters will be in violation.

Yea, right. 50,000 watt AM radio transmitters have an FCC ID
too. Try using one of those in your garage. The FCC regulation
has been posted here a couple of times when this was hashed
through in great detail last time. Nobody has any stories of them
busting John Doe for it though.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:49:52 PM

> rfzenyen wrote:
> > Strongbox,
> >
> > You are right. Having FCC ID means it will meet FCC
> > standards.
> >
> > There is no law that prohibits use of cell phone
> > repeaters that I am aware of. If there is, then many
> > people who have cell phone repeaters will be in violation.
>
> Yea, right. 50,000 watt AM radio transmitters have an FCC ID
> too. Try using one of those in your garage. The FCC regulation
> has been posted here a couple of times when this was hashed
> through in great detail last time. Nobody has any stories of them
> busting John Doe for it though.
>
> -Quick

The FCC ID number indicates that a piece of equipment meets the standards
for limiting the amount of interference generated and the rejection of
external interference. Nothing more.
Sprint, Verizon, Nextel whoever has paid a great deal of money for the right
to use frequency X in geographic area Y. Anyone using a repeater, without
obtaining a license from the FCC or permission from the licensee can expect
a "cease and desist order" sooner or later. Just because you haven't heard
about anyone getting busted doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
Oh by the way, there is no "minimum power" that is OK for you to use.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:37:16 AM

There is also no maximum power that is ok to use. hihi

The Other Funk wrote:
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>rfzenyen wrote:
>>
>>>Strongbox,
>>>
>>>You are right. Having FCC ID means it will meet FCC
>>>standards.
>>>
>>>There is no law that prohibits use of cell phone
>>>repeaters that I am aware of. If there is, then many
>>>people who have cell phone repeaters will be in violation.
>>
>>Yea, right. 50,000 watt AM radio transmitters have an FCC ID
>>too. Try using one of those in your garage. The FCC regulation
>>has been posted here a couple of times when this was hashed
>>through in great detail last time. Nobody has any stories of them
>>busting John Doe for it though.
>>
>>-Quick
>>

> The FCC ID number indicates that a piece of equipment meets the standards
> for limiting the amount of interference generated and the rejection of
> external interference. Nothing more.
> Sprint, Verizon, Nextel whoever has paid a great deal of money for the right
> to use frequency X in geographic area Y. Anyone using a repeater, without
> obtaining a license from the FCC or permission from the licensee can expect
> a "cease and desist order" sooner or later. Just because you haven't heard
> about anyone getting busted doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
> Oh by the way, there is no "minimum power" that is OK for you to use.

July 21, 2005 8:25:57 PM

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in

> Yea, right. 50,000 watt AM radio transmitters have an FCC ID
> too. Try using one of those in your garage.

Your garage has 3 phase 480VAC at 105KVA and single phase 230 at 1KVA?

That's the power requirements for a Harris DX50 digital AM
transmitter...(c;

Better call the power company. We're gonna need some bigger wires!

--
Larry
!