sciboi66

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
Anybody out there know if I can put PII Overdrive 333's in this Compaq Proliant Server that I have? It has dual Pentium Pro's @ 200 MHz. I have done a little research and so far I get a negative answer. I was wondering what board they would have come in, is it a server board or other? A friend gave me this server with 3 SCSI drives and I wanted to play around with it to see if I could OC it a little if possible. Any ideas?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm fairly certain the 333MHz overdrive worked fine in dual configuration. As for your Proliant 800, I'm not certain, Compaq does things differently you know!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wusy, the CPU he's refering to is a Pentium II overdrive for Socket 8 (Pentium Pro socket). It has 512k of FULL SPEED off-die cache. Because of the fast cache, it was the PREFERED CPU for high performance overclocking back in the day. You could get a Slot 1 to Socket 8 adapter card and mount TWO of them in a BX dually board, then try your best to get 100MHz bus (500MHz CPU x2 CPU's with 512k of <b>FULL SPEED</b> cache)!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sciboi66

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
Well, thanks for the constuctive criticism my friend! I guess my reply would be why overclock anything? I guess because I can or want to.

sciboi66

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
I know. I really hate Compaq for that. I guess I'm just so assinely stubborn that I will find a way to "hack" this thing, if it's possible. Thank's for the reply.

sciboi66

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
I can respect that. Hey, I made another post in the software section. I am wondering about where I might find a database program that is fairly user friendly with a GUI interface. I've started my own PC repair business and a potential customer needs a database that he can use to keep copies of medical records. Have you heard of a program or a programmer that can do this?