Stealth test with router and without router

Last response: in Networking
Share
June 29, 2004 2:01:32 AM

I have a Netgear MR314 router. On the shields up test it fails showing five
ports blocked and the ret sheathed. Using Zone 4.5 with the exact same
settings that I used the first time except for no router and a direct
connection the ports pass with flying colors- all sheathed. I gather the
test in the first scenario was testing the routerand not the computer ports.
Is this true, and what significance if any are the differing results? Is it
a case of paranoia or is of significance?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 29, 2004 2:01:33 AM

>I gather the
>test in the first scenario was testing the routerand not the computer ports.
>Is this true,

Yes, it's true.

> and what significance if any are the differing results? Is it a case of
> paranoia or is of significance?

It is only significant if you think "stealth" is important. I don't, but
opinions vary. Closed is closed. In either case, the requests are not getting
through. If you want everything stealthy, you will have to see if your router
has that capability. I don't have an answer for that.
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 29, 2004 2:01:33 AM

"Mike" <mwos@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<0z0Ec.32635$OT6.14398753@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> I have a Netgear MR314 router. On the shields up test it fails showing five
> ports blocked and the ret sheathed. Using Zone 4.5 with the exact same
> settings that I used the first time except for no router and a direct
> connection the ports pass with flying colors- all sheathed. I gather the
> test in the first scenario was testing the routerand not the computer ports.
> Is this true, and what significance if any are the differing results? Is it
> a case of paranoia or is of significance?

If you want true stealth, you might consider forwarding the closed
ports to a non-existant IP address on your LAN. You should be able to
do this my making the DMZ on your router something like 192.168.1.158
(where 158 is the non-existant box). Your router should have a help
file at the Netgear web-site to walk you through this. However, as
Crash has stated, closed is closed. Some people sleep better at night
thinking stealth makes them invisible.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 29, 2004 11:59:30 AM

Hi,

Mike <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:
> connection the ports pass with flying colors- all sheathed. I gather the
> test in the first scenario was testing the routerand not the computer ports.

Correct.

> Is this true, and what significance if any are the differing results?

Different primary attack targets.

> Is it
> a case of paranoia or is of significance?

Paranoia.

Greetings,
Jens