Stealth test with router and without router

I have a Netgear MR314 router. On the shields up test it fails showing five
ports blocked and the ret sheathed. Using Zone 4.5 with the exact same
settings that I used the first time except for no router and a direct
connection the ports pass with flying colors- all sheathed. I gather the
test in the first scenario was testing the routerand not the computer ports.
Is this true, and what significance if any are the differing results? Is it
a case of paranoia or is of significance?
3 answers Last reply
More about stealth test router router

    >I gather the
    >test in the first scenario was testing the routerand not the computer ports.
    >Is this true,

    Yes, it's true.

    > and what significance if any are the differing results? Is it a case of
    > paranoia or is of significance?

    It is only significant if you think "stealth" is important. I don't, but
    opinions vary. Closed is closed. In either case, the requests are not getting
    through. If you want everything stealthy, you will have to see if your router
    has that capability. I don't have an answer for that.
    crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com

    "Mike" <mwos@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<0z0Ec.32635$OT6.14398753@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
    > I have a Netgear MR314 router. On the shields up test it fails showing five
    > ports blocked and the ret sheathed. Using Zone 4.5 with the exact same
    > settings that I used the first time except for no router and a direct
    > connection the ports pass with flying colors- all sheathed. I gather the
    > test in the first scenario was testing the routerand not the computer ports.
    > Is this true, and what significance if any are the differing results? Is it
    > a case of paranoia or is of significance?

    If you want true stealth, you might consider forwarding the closed
    ports to a non-existant IP address on your LAN. You should be able to
    do this my making the DMZ on your router something like 192.168.1.158
    (where 158 is the non-existant box). Your router should have a help
    file at the Netgear web-site to walk you through this. However, as
    Crash has stated, closed is closed. Some people sleep better at night
    thinking stealth makes them invisible.

    Hi,

    Mike <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:
    > connection the ports pass with flying colors- all sheathed. I gather the
    > test in the first scenario was testing the routerand not the computer ports.

    Correct.

    > Is this true, and what significance if any are the differing results?

    Different primary attack targets.

    > Is it
    > a case of paranoia or is of significance?

    Paranoia.

    Greetings,
    Jens

Firewalls Routers Security Networking