shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
for you ppl that have vapochill/prommie, or home made chillers, is it necessary to take off the IHS and insulating the CPU for temps like -20?

<font color=red>One Lowe</font color=red>

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
i read somewhere in a guide that you are to insulate the components on the core by removing teh IHS, but i wasn't REALLY sure if it was neccessary, because... insulation = lots of work... especially dealing with such small and fragile parts. eh, scottchen... tell me about the insulation that you have on the promie

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
what about insulation, i think i'm going to get around the same temps(maybe a lil higher) with a 5200 btu AC/chiller. i want to keep insulation to a minimum to save time,work,money, and less complications when removing them. can you tell me like step by step, how you insulated the prommie.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Dielectric grease, and a LOT of it, it wasn't truly necessary because it has a heating pad on the back of the motherboard, but I didn't want to take the risk.

What CPU do you have again? Athlon64 I guess, put a lot of dielectric grease in the socket, cover the entire surrounding region of CPU, let's say about 7-10cm with a layer of dielectric grease. Put dielectric greaseon the side of the CPU once it's installed, top of the CPU with thermal compound, so on the CPU, it's either thermal compound or dielectric grease, there shouldn't be a single spot that isn't covered by something.

My Prometeia Mach2 isn't the best insulated version out there, in fact it's the ST version so cut down, doesn't have USB temp display or the best insulating system.

Oh yeah since you're using a chiller to cool your water, make sure you insulate the tubings, you'll see a significant temp drop if you do that.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
arn't you suppose to use like a combination of nail varnish and seal tape? =D

check out this site: <A HREF="http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=224&s=1" target="_new">http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=224&s=1</A>
<font color=red>One Lowe</font color=red> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by masturdebat3rr on 04/30/05 00:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>