Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking a P4 3.0GHz w/2mb L2 Cache

Last response: in Overclocking
May 6, 2005 8:32:12 PM

I was reading the how to and I have a question. My computer is a Dell 8400 and it has a P4 3.0GHz 630 but the how to shows 1mb of L2 cache... mine has double the amount of cache. So the same things apply to this processor?

I ordered some 533MHz RAM and currently have a 800MHz fsb and was primarily interested in overclocking the fsb to 1066 in order to accommodate the RAM. Is this the right forum for that?

Also, while I was at it, I was thinking about overclocking the clock speed on the chip itself but it looks like the other Prescott isn't a good candidate for that and was wondering if the same applied to mine. It looks like it overheats but mine came with a rather extensive cooling system which can be seen <A HREF="http://ad.impress.co.jp/tie-up/dellcontact0206/photo/04..." target="_new">here.</A> I thought that it would be a good candidate for these tasks.

Could someone please evaluate my setup and let a n00b know if it's going to be worth me researching all this and learning how to do it or is it something that I can't do on my current setup? I know Dell can sometimes be a PITA due to the bios for this.

Thanks for the help.
May 6, 2005 8:56:25 PM

Well you'll need to go into the bios, and odds are on the dell they'll have disabled all the tuning options.

The last time i updated that guide was a LONG time ago, and I didn't include socket775 guide, because i was quite dissapointed by the performance. But they follow similar principals, how much cache it has doesn't matter.

Go into your bios and tell us what options are in there.
May 7, 2005 12:10:11 AM

Can you tell me what I might be looking for and where it might be? The new RAM showed up today so I need to tear it apart anyway and on the reboot can check for those settings and make any possible changes. Thanks.
Related resources
May 7, 2005 12:16:04 AM

Well you're looking for things along the lines of...

Actually I really don't know , since Dell uses its own bios, maybe look for something that can adjust the cpu external frequency, or FSB, or bus speed, and look for vcore, or cpu voltage adjustment. But I highly doubt if those options are available, Dell has disabled them all.
May 7, 2005 1:44:34 AM

I dont ever hear of anyone OCing a Dell. I doubt that you will be able to.

:eek:  If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek: 
Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2005 2:34:55 AM

Maybe depends on the clock generator on the board. if it supports 1066fsb then he may be able to overclock in windows using software.
While you are installing ram, look for motherboard markings for model number.
Also near the CPU ,Memory area you will find the Clock generator. A small metal case containing a crystal and a chip about 1/2 inch wide and 1 1/4 inch long or so. This chip controls the fsb. Get the numbers off of it also.

I aint signing nothing!!!
May 7, 2005 3:05:23 AM

Thanks for the reply. It gave me some hope. I'm not looking to go too awful crazy but upping the fsb to 1066 would be perfect if nothing else.

What sort of numbers will I be looking for on the mobo? I think that the 8400 has either the 925X Express or Intel 925XE Express chipset... so will I be looking for one of those numbers or if something else can you give me an idea what/where I'm looking for?
May 7, 2005 7:51:02 AM

Okay, I started writing down some numbers and realized there was a lot of chips and numbers and decided that it might be best if I just take a quick photo and then post it here so you could tell me what numbers to list here. If you can circle or describe or somehow otherwise indicate the areas where the numbers are that are important for this I'll get those posted up here. Thanks.

<A HREF="http://coracing.net/albums/album24/MoboDell8400.jpg" target="_new">http://coracing.net/albums/album24/MoboDell8400.jpg&lt;/A>
May 9, 2005 8:44:10 PM

I have some Dells here at work. They're not 8400's, they're all 2400, 3000 & 4700's, so you may have more BIOS options than I do in your 8400, but I doubt it. There is not a single performance adjustment option in the Dell bios on any of those machines, so OCing is completely out in my case.

Your how to is probably just not updated to the new 630, and was written with the 530 in mind - It should apply the same in either case.

There should (hopefully) be somewhere in the BIOS to set your RAM to run at 1066 since it has that ability, but I don't have any options like that on the ones here. Maybe there is an instruction booklet included that tells you that.

That heatsink is required because the P4E's get hot, If you can OC in BIOS, you may be able to get a little OC, but to get more OC you'll need better cooling, and the ability to monitor system temps. The Dimension 3000's we got last November and in January had that heatsink on it for a 3.0Ghz P4. The 4700's we got last month (or was it the end of March? - whichever...) have a smaller heatsink for the same CPU. Then again, the 630 is supposed to be cooler than the 530 so maybe you have enough cooling since you still have the big cooler.

If it is the case that you can bump your CPU FSB to 1066, you'll be running that 3.0 at 4.0. It would be a nice jump.

Mike.
!