CaPtAiN_InSaNo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
I'm just curous, but how many threads can an athlon 64 run? I only ask cuase i find it interesting that the Xbox 360's cpu is a tripple core capable of running 6 threads and it has a variant of the R500 core. But i find it hard to believe that such power could come at a decent price. It costs over 1,000 to build that in a gaming PC. If i remember correctly don't current single core cpu's run several threads simaltaneously?

Asus A8V Deluxe(rev. 2.00) / A64 3200 (winchester) / 1024mb OCZ DDR500 (2.5-3-3-8) / BFG 6800GT@stock / Baracuda 120GB / Lian-Li PC-65 / Syncmaster 700NF / OCZ Power Stream 520

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Current A64 is single thread, the xbox can come at a low price is because they don't need a full board for everything, they can integrate everything onto the mainboard, makes it so much easier for production. Ever wander why dells are so cheap? I don't like the CPU Xbox360 is using, they're either clocked very low and have low cache, or the specs are bullsh*t, because how the hell do they cool that?

CaPtAiN_InSaNo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
I don't see how they could put such powerful hardware for so cheap even integrated, EVERYTHING that is in a computer is in the Xbox 360, it is simply an integrated computer made solely for gaming. It seems like either we are getting screwed by hardware vendors or the specs are only partial, meaning its sort of like the P4, seems really fast right? up to 3.8ghz prescott, but in real life a 2.4ghz A64 outperforms it. How is it that a stupid console can be more powerful than a $2500 high performance gaming PC? And how is it that a console has a CPU 6 times more powerful than a computer cpu? Something is just wrong, either the price is going to be $500 + or the console really isn't as fast as the specs would have you believe, i'm thinking Matrix parahila here. Specs seemed awesome at the time on that card, but it wasn't a steller performer at all.

Asus A8V Deluxe(rev. 2.00) / A64 3200 (winchester) / 1024mb OCZ DDR500 (2.5-3-3-8) / BFG 6800GT@stock / Baracuda 120GB / Lian-Li PC-65 / Syncmaster 700NF / OCZ Power Stream 520

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Now you're telling me xbox is watercooled... And just how many 8 year olds have the guts to pour water into their precious console? Because evaporation at work... you're going need to refill it once in a while.

CaPtAiN_InSaNo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
I think something is awry here. Yes, Microsoft claims the CPU is watercooled in order to keep the heat down. So, it has a watercooling system, a tripple core CPU that is 6 times more powerful than an A64(cause the tripple core can handle 6 threads at a time), a R500 variant VPU, 512mb GDDR3, as well as full network capabiliites all for $300? That just doesn't seem right, there is something WAAAYY wrong here, even if its integrated, the costs of making such high powered silicon chips should be waay more than that.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
We'll see, maybe they overhyped it and turns out to be crap, maybe it'll take PC 6 months to catch up to the consoles. Either way doesn't really matter, there won't be any RTS games for consoles, and i myself is a big fan of RTS games, so i'll be needing a PC. So if you only play shooters and strategy, then PC is still your only choice. If you play some shooter, and simulations, then the next gen. consoles will definently be worth considering, even if you're a huge PC fan.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I remember reading that this is not your normal watercooling setup. It's a conpletely enclosed system that is sealed so no need to worry about evaporation/refilling. It may work something along the lines of those heatpipes. You'd just have to hope it doesn't spring a leak! :lol:

<A HREF="http://nfiniti.blogspot.com" target="_new">nfiniti plus one - my blog</A>

CaPtAiN_InSaNo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
Yah, its like the watercooling system the tom reviewd, its only 100$ and its completely premade and enclosed, never need to refill, but he aslo said its not even as good as high quality air cooling(XP-120 quality i mean). I think they used it because its like high quality air cooling, but without the noize. A console wouldn't sell well if it sounded like a hurricane. And something has come to my attention, that supposedly super power cpu in there is not so great compared to a computer counterpart(dual or tirpple core). Why? Look at what it needs to be cooled with, it is very inefficient that it HAS to have water cooling, i'm thinking pentium4-D here, which got powned by the A64. sort of like the Matrix Parihelia, super good on paper but lackluster in real life. Not only that, but 500 million polygons per second and only 500 mhz seems low for such a "super" console? My 6800 GT does 550 mill and the ultra does 600 mil(can't remember what X800's do but i think is close) and they've been out for a year. LOL. Now its very powerful, i have no doubt about that, but its deffinately overhyped. I still am going to get one, i like my xbox i have now, great console, but i like comp more and always will, PC powns everyhting else in FPS and RTS. Scottchen is right about the memory too, its only 512mb of SHARED memory, which means you get lower res fussy textures. It will deffinately have all the sweet affects PC games have, but will never look clear, sort of like a VHS tape vs a HD DVD. BIG difference even though you are watching the same movie.