Help a newbie cool his system LGA775

tj2004

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2005
OK I have the following PC spec:

P4 Pentium 540J
Asus P5AD2-E Premium
OCZ PC-4200 OCZ EB Enh. BW Platinum Rev.2 x 1GB (dual channel 2x 512)
OCZ PSU 600W
Radeon x300 SE graphics card
IBM Deskstar 120 GBx2
Western Digital 200 GB Caviar 8MB cache x1
NEC DVD RW 3520
Pioneer x16 dvd Rom
Light On CD RW 52 speed
Kingwin Aluminium-Mg alloy case

Have not installed any new fans - have 5 standard that came with case which are used - not sure how good they are, and using the intel cpu fan that came with the psu.
2 are on the back, 1 front, 1 top, 1 side.

I am finding that idling temp with the mobo is around 40+ deg but when the cpu is performing encoding eg with TMPG then at times temp goes up to 72-73 C (measure with the Asus board AI) which is probably too high.

I was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions on how to cool the case down. I have thought of several options eg:
replacing the case and cpu fans
liquid cooling systems....
But have no great experience in cooling and am clueless about the best and easy to fit products....
Advice greatly appreciated.

I am tentative regarding the water options due to the natural fears of water and electricity, leaks etc - so if going for this route ideally wish something easy to install and leak-tight; I do not mind usings fans in addition, although quieter is a bonus not a priority.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
First of all your temperatures are fine. I still would recommend watercooling for new people because you have to use distilled water for watercooling, distilled water even if it leaks it doesn't conduct electricity, so odds of your computer being killed by water is next to none.

As for a watercooling kit, you should look into those new Corsair Cool kits, they use swiftech parts and corsair makes it easier for installation, and it performs very good. a link of a review can be found <A HREF="http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1389" target="_new">here</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Zalman Reservator is nearly silent water cooling, with a huge, fanless cooling tower and submerged pump.

If you'd rather go air, the Zalman CNPS 7700 AlCu is a great choice.

Your case on the other hand isn't very good at isolating noise.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
no it isnt
A Question for CRASH...
I started running my reserator 24/7 and after like 6 months i can say it deffinately runs louder now
did the same thing happen to u ?
Thanks

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/lb19984/" target="_new">My Rig</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Mine doesn't leak.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I still can't hear mine over the hard drives. The only time I did notice mine is when I had the reserator sitting on an unstable surface.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, I didn't buy one. The only thing I bought in my computer is the CPU, everything else was free.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You need to liquid cool with the 775 rigs. If you have a pet store in the area, get DEIONIZED which is even better than distilled water. Aquarium shops sell deionized water for around .50 a gallon. Dont waste your time with a bunch of fans. Just get good airflow going through the case and then liquid cool. Oh, and yes you still need at least the = of one 120mm intake and one 120mm exhaust. Everything on this system is going to get really hot. If I were you, I would go ahead and make plans to also cool the Northbridge with something other that the stock heatsink.

Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix PC2 5300 2X256
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Thats all. I dont really need more than that. I OC the hell out of it, but I doubt that more memory would change that much. I probably havent told you this, but im not a gamer. Not even a little bit. Im not against gaming, its just not my thing. The 512MB thats in it is fast as hell. DDR2 667@DDR2 800

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> Owned!
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You probably are running games and other software that needs more than 512mb arent you? It probably wouldnt hurt if I had another 512MB, but like I said I dont run anything that really needs it. Most of my OCing is simply going for high scores and nothing else. When im hitting the ORB really hard I have a seperate RAID setup just for benchmarking. After the system boots up I can open the task manager and it will only be using around 120mbs.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
What are your bandwidth speeds?

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
With the current Winchester chip i need to turn command rate down to 2T so about 5300mb according to sandra. With the new San Diego i'm planning to get i can use 1T command rate so about 6000mb if i had that.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im not familiar with AMD systems so I dont know what what 2T ia. What would that be called on an intel system? Or is there something=

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Now i feel stupid for not thinking that one out. Now I see said the blind man. Clear as mud :tongue:

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
TT 680W PSU

TRENDING THREADS