Problem hooking up a LinkSys BEFVP41

Last response: in Networking
June 30, 2004 3:35:00 AM

Hi,

I'm installing 3 LinkSys BEFVP41 routers to create a VPN unified network out
of 3 sites. I've installed 2 successfully but the last one will not hook up
correctly.

I have Comcast business internet at the problem site, and a Comcast integral
modem, router unit set to DMZ to the LinkSys router.

There is a low end LinkSys wireless router ($69) connected presently, and
this works OK. When I replace this with a correctly configured BEFVP41 (MAC,
Static IP, GW, DNS) there is no internet service at the client PCs.

I can connect to the router via the web config application from the clients,
and Comcast can ping the router from their end, but there's no internet
reaching the client PCs. I can also see neighbouring computers on the LAN
side of the router.

Comcast are stumped.

Any ideas?

Steve
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 2:02:37 PM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:35:00 -0500, Kasterborus spoketh

>There is a low end LinkSys wireless router ($69) connected presently, and
>this works OK. When I replace this with a correctly configured BEFVP41 (MAC,
>Static IP, GW, DNS) there is no internet service at the client PCs.
>
>I can connect to the router via the web config application from the clients,
>and Comcast can ping the router from their end, but there's no internet
>reaching the client PCs. I can also see neighbouring computers on the LAN
>side of the router.
>
>Comcast are stumped.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Steve

Can you ping IP addresses on the internet from behind the new router at
all. What does traceroute tell you?

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
June 30, 2004 4:14:17 PM

In article <st2dnSPeALLh33_dRVn-gQ@comcast.com>, kasterborus@yahoo.com
says...
> There is a low end LinkSys wireless router ($69) connected presently, and
> this works OK. When I replace this with a correctly configured BEFVP41 (MAC,
> Static IP, GW, DNS) there is no internet service at the client PCs.

First, once in a while you get a bad router, it could be the router is
bad.

Second, all routers must use a different subnet for their internal LAN,
and they MUST have their WAN address set to a PUBLIC (not NAT'ed
private) ADDRESS.

While the tunnels do support non-static IP's, they are problematic and
I've found that they should require a static IP on the WAN side.

Now, with DSL, you have to get the user/password and all the other IP
information correct, cycle power on the DSL modem, wait 1 minute, cycle
power on the router, wait 1 minute, cycle power on all computers, try IE
and go to google.

> I can connect to the router via the web config application from the clients,
> and Comcast can ping the router from their end, but there's no internet
> reaching the client PCs. I can also see neighbouring computers on the LAN
> side of the router.

See above - if you can see other computers on the LAN side, but you
can't get to the web, then you have either DNS or WAN information
incorrectly configured. It almost sounds like DNS info is not being
passed from the router to the clients - you did enter the DNS
information in the router and you are using DHCP build into the router?

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
!