Overclock on P4 burned my system, please help me!

jmabe

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2003
Hi all,

I own a P4P800-D, running P4 2.8 800FSB, ATI 9800PRO, GEIL 1024 Dual Channel and 2 Sata HDs.

Since I am upgrading my system, I decided to try the BIOS overclock supplied in the Asus Motherboard. I set it to 20%, clock raised to 3.36ghz.

Everything was working wonders, but I left the house today at 15:00 and when I arrived at 21:00 the computer was off, oddly.

I tried to turn it on, but it wouldn't, at all.

I think the overclock burnt my system, but I can't check because I can't even turn it on.

I will send it to the technician tomorrow, but I'm anxious, and I would like to know what equipment I have possibly lost. Probably the MOBO and the CPU, but is my memory, HDs and VGA safe?

Please, enlighten me!

Also, is it a normal thing to happen?

Thanks in advance.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
There are really a lot of possibilities, i'll list them

note:ranked from most likely to least likely

CPU
Motherboard
Power Supply
Ram
The last and worst case scenario, when the power supply died, it killed everything connected to it.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I would've said power supply first...

Unless that '20% overclock' option overvolts too, I'd be very suprised if it fried any components - If the PSU died then it could have taken other things with it though.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."