soytnly

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
What is the desired temp range for an Athlon XP 1900+? I've searched and searched and can't seem to find a straight answer. I was running at 45C and thought I'd improve by adding silver grease, now it runs at 50C-53C. My Athlon 64 runs at around 30C, so I thought I'd be cute and get the 1900 down a bit. I have just a stock-type fan/heatsink, but if these temps are okay I'll get over it.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Is that at idle or under 100% load?

If load, 45 was good. 53 is warm but still acceptable. A64's are cooler than AXP's.

When you added the grease, did you clean off any previous grease or pad that was on the cpu or heatsink? If not, pull it and clean it with rubbing alcohol or something like that then apply new grease.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

soytnly

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
The 53C temp is while using, I wouldn't say 100% under load as I don't use this machine heavily anymore. I built the Athlon 64 machine to do video encoding, which it does nicely but the 1900 is used for a little bit of everything. I don't game at all, so it doesn't get a hot workout. I did clean the previous grease off and tried the silver twice. I'm guessing a little better sink/fan would help. I have a big Thermaltake Polo on the Athlon 64, works very well.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Since it was running at 45 before, something you did/didn't do when you added silver grease is making it run hotter. Check to make sure its seated properly, not facing the wrong way, the fan spins freely, and maybe blow the dust out of the vanes of the heatsink.

Could ambient temperature have something to do with it? The current heatwave in Chicago is pushing my temps up about 5c even though I'm in an AC'd house (the bedroom my PCs are in gets warm).

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

soytnly

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
It's hot up here in MN too, that could have something to do with it but I think there's more to it...pilot error! I'll try recleaning and remounting, will just get a new cooling unit if nothing else.