Gateway 2000 Crystal Scan 500CS Monitor

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b C Monitor
July 6, 2004 7:35:41 PM

I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or will not
supply any service information.
I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone know the
equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram for
repair?

Mike in Ohio
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 6, 2004 8:48:54 PM

Depending on the age of the monitor, it may be 1000% easier to simply replace it
and dispose of it properly... Ben Myers

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 15:35:41 GMT, "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

>I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or will not
>supply any service information.
>I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone know the
>equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram for
>repair?
>
>Mike in Ohio

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 6, 2004 10:15:13 PM

Mike;
The Gateway techs can't give you that information because they do not
have that information.
The techs have no need for that information.
If you really want that information, contact the manufacturer
directly, perhaps they can cross reference it.

Considering how old that monitor must be, you have already probably
spent more time than it is worth.
A cheap low end monitor would possibly be cheaper than the expense to
POSSIBLY fix this antique.
And that does not even account for your time.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or
will not
> supply any service information.
> I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone
know the
> equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram
for
> repair?
>
> Mike in Ohio
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 6, 2004 11:23:29 PM

Both you guys sound just like Gateway. Replace it... don't fix it.
I notice neither of you addressed my question.

"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> Mike;
> The Gateway techs can't give you that information because they do not
> have that information.
> The techs have no need for that information.
> If you really want that information, contact the manufacturer
> directly, perhaps they can cross reference it.
>
> Considering how old that monitor must be, you have already probably
> spent more time than it is worth.
> A cheap low end monitor would possibly be cheaper than the expense to
> POSSIBLY fix this antique.
> And that does not even account for your time.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or
> will not
> > supply any service information.
> > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone
> know the
> > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram
> for
> > repair?
> >
> > Mike in Ohio

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 7, 2004 12:35:08 AM

I do not know the answer, that should be obvious.
However I did answer your question, I suggested you ask the
manufacturer.

You say "Both you guys sound just like Gateway. Replace it... don't
fix it."
Perhaps because we feel that is your best option.
Gateway may have another motive...to make money.
However I have no such motive.
Perhaps the question you should ask yourself at this point is "why do
I always get the same answer"?

--

> Both you guys sound just like Gateway. Replace it... don't fix it.
> I notice neither of you addressed my question.
>
> "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> > Mike;
> > The Gateway techs can't give you that information because they do
not
> > have that information.
> > The techs have no need for that information.
> > If you really want that information, contact the manufacturer
> > directly, perhaps they can cross reference it.
> >
> > Considering how old that monitor must be, you have already
probably
> > spent more time than it is worth.
> > A cheap low end monitor would possibly be cheaper than the expense
> > POSSIBLY fix this antique.
> > And that does not even account for your time.
> >
> > --
> > Jupiter Jones
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
> >

> > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot
or
> > will not
> > > supply any service information.
> > > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does
anyone
> > know the
> > > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic
diagram
> > for
> > > repair?
> > >
> > > Mike in Ohio

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 7, 2004 1:07:30 AM

Well, I, for one, am not speaking for Gateway. I am speaking for myself, and I
have over 40 years of experience in the computer business. The sad fact is that
with new monitors costing very little and used monitors in good condition
costing even less, almost nobody repairs monitors any more.

The nearest I have come to "repairing" a monitor in the last 2 or 3 years was
taking apart a lovely Dell 17" flat Trinitron tube monitor, figuring out why the
on-off switch did not work, and getting it to power on properly again.

Some companies that do repairs will only handle late model good-quality name
brands where the repair is worthwhile. They usually draw spare parts from a
stockpile of like monitors, rather than troubleshooting individual electronic
components. The voltage inside a monitor is VERY high. Screw up one part of a
repair and you are in for a shock, or maybe just a troublesome electrical fire.

Neither LG nor Gateway Crystal Scan fall on the list of monitors with good
enough quality to justify a repair. Unless you have lots and lots of time on
your hands, do yourself a favor and dispose of the failed monitor.

I DO sell monitors, but not via mail order. Too risky to ship a monitor.

The foregoing does NOT sound like Gateway. gw2k would not have the patience or
the insight to give you the explanation I just gave... Ben Myers

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:23:29 GMT, "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

>Both you guys sound just like Gateway. Replace it... don't fix it.
>I notice neither of you addressed my question.
>
>"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> Mike;
>> The Gateway techs can't give you that information because they do not
>> have that information.
>> The techs have no need for that information.
>> If you really want that information, contact the manufacturer
>> directly, perhaps they can cross reference it.
>>
>> Considering how old that monitor must be, you have already probably
>> spent more time than it is worth.
>> A cheap low end monitor would possibly be cheaper than the expense to
>> POSSIBLY fix this antique.
>> And that does not even account for your time.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>> "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or
>> will not
>> > supply any service information.
>> > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone
>> know the
>> > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram
>> for
>> > repair?
>> >
>> > Mike in Ohio

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 7, 2004 4:56:01 AM

LG is noted for not selling schematics for its own monitors, so it's
unlikely they'll have one.
You might try the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup for generic
troubleshooting issues -- unless the failure is obvious and easy to repair,
it's not likely worth the effort to repair it.

"Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or will not
> supply any service information.
> I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone know
the
> equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram for
> repair?
>
> Mike in Ohio

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 7, 2004 3:54:57 PM

Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I can get the schematic at
www.monitor-repair.com if I can only find out the model cross reference
between the Gateway and LG model numbers.
Yes, it is probably not a practical thing to repair, it is just something I
want to do.
Mike

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> LG is noted for not selling schematics for its own monitors, so it's
> unlikely they'll have one.
> You might try the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup for generic
> troubleshooting issues -- unless the failure is obvious and easy to
repair,
> it's not likely worth the effort to repair it.
>

> "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or will
not
> > supply any service information.
> > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone know
> the
> > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram for
> > repair?
> >
> > Mike in Ohio

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 8, 2004 1:53:47 AM

Out of curiousity, when was this brontosauras manufacturered? What size is
it?
Have you completely run out of things to do? ;-) Or does it have
sentimental value?

> Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I can get the schematic at
> www.monitor-repair.com if I can only find out the model cross reference
> between the Gateway and LG model numbers.
> Yes, it is probably not a practical thing to repair, it is just something
> want to do.
> Mike
>
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > LG is noted for not selling schematics for its own monitors, so it's
> > unlikely they'll have one.
> > You might try the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup for generic
> > troubleshooting issues -- unless the failure is obvious and easy to
> repair,
> > it's not likely worth the effort to repair it.
> >

> > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or will
> not
> > > supply any service information.
> > > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone
know
> > the
> > > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram for
> > > repair?
> > >
> > > Mike in Ohio

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 8, 2004 9:30:55 AM

500CS = 15"
My guess on age >5 years.

--

"billy bob" <billybob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p IudnU8DXoq1NHHdRVn-jg@comcast.com...
> Out of curiousity, when was this brontosauras manufacturered? What
size is
> it?
> Have you completely run out of things to do? ;-) Or does it have
> sentimental value?
>
> "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I can get the schematic at
> > www.monitor-repair.com if I can only find out the model cross
reference
> > between the Gateway and LG model numbers.
> > Yes, it is probably not a practical thing to repair, it is just
something
> > want to do.
> > Mike
> >
> > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > > LG is noted for not selling schematics for its own monitors, so
it's
> > > unlikely they'll have one.
> > > You might try the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup for generic
> > > troubleshooting issues -- unless the failure is obvious and easy
> > repair,
> > > it's not likely worth the effort to repair it.
> > >

> > > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > not
> know
> > > the

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 8, 2004 8:35:03 PM

Hi BillyBob,
It was built in 1997. It is a 15" monitor. I guess I like a challenge.
Mike

"billy bob" <billybob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p IudnU8DXoq1NHHdRVn-jg@comcast.com...
> Out of curiousity, when was this brontosauras manufacturered? What size
is
> it?
> Have you completely run out of things to do? ;-) Or does it have
> sentimental value?
>
> "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I can get the schematic at
> > www.monitor-repair.com if I can only find out the model cross reference
> > between the Gateway and LG model numbers.
> > Yes, it is probably not a practical thing to repair, it is just
something
> > want to do.
> > Mike
> >
> > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > > LG is noted for not selling schematics for its own monitors, so it's
> > > unlikely they'll have one.
> > > You might try the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup for generic
> > > troubleshooting issues -- unless the failure is obvious and easy to
> > repair,
> > > it's not likely worth the effort to repair it.
> > >

> > > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > not
> know
> > > the

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 8, 2004 10:29:46 PM

Oh, boy! if you are in the vicinity of Harvard or Fitchburg, MA, I can sell you
a 15" Viewsonic in excellent condition for $25. That is less than you will pay
for whatever replacement parts needed for the Crystal Scan, once you figure out
what parts you need, IF you can figure what parts you need, and IF you can even
find them... Ben Myers

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:35:03 GMT, "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

>Hi BillyBob,
>It was built in 1997. It is a 15" monitor. I guess I like a challenge.
>Mike
>
>"billy bob" <billybob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:p IudnU8DXoq1NHHdRVn-jg@comcast.com...
>> Out of curiousity, when was this brontosauras manufacturered? What size
>is
>> it?
>> Have you completely run out of things to do? ;-) Or does it have
>> sentimental value?
>>
>> "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> > Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I can get the schematic at
>> > www.monitor-repair.com if I can only find out the model cross reference
>> > between the Gateway and LG model numbers.
>> > Yes, it is probably not a practical thing to repair, it is just
>something
>> > want to do.
>> > Mike
>> >
>> > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
>> > repair,

>will
>> > not
>> know
>for

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 8, 2004 11:56:42 PM

ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
: Oh, boy! if you are in the vicinity of Harvard or Fitchburg, MA, I can sell you
: a 15" Viewsonic in excellent condition for $25. That is less than you will pay
: for whatever replacement parts needed for the Crystal Scan, once you figure out
: what parts you need, IF you can figure what parts you need, and IF you can even
: find them... Ben Myers

I just sold 2 17" nec yesterday for $25 apiece, nobody was interested when
they were $50 apiece.

: On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:35:03 GMT, "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

:>Hi BillyBob,
:>It was built in 1997. It is a 15" monitor. I guess I like a challenge.
:>Mike
:>
:>"billy bob" <billybob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
:>news:p IudnU8DXoq1NHHdRVn-jg@comcast.com...
:>> Out of curiousity, when was this brontosauras manufacturered? What size
:>is
:>> it?
:>> Have you completely run out of things to do? ;-) Or does it have
:>> sentimental value?
:>>
:>> "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
:>> news:lwRGc.980$wX6.327@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
:>> > Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I can get the schematic at
:>> > www.monitor-repair.com if I can only find out the model cross reference
:>> > between the Gateway and LG model numbers.
:>> > Yes, it is probably not a practical thing to repair, it is just
:>something
:>> I
:>> > want to do.
:>> > Mike
:>> >
:>> > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
:>> > news:BSHGc.654$SI2.622@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...
:>> > > LG is noted for not selling schematics for its own monitors, so it's
:>> > > unlikely they'll have one.
:>> > > You might try the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup for generic
:>> > > troubleshooting issues -- unless the failure is obvious and easy to
:>> > repair,
:>> > > it's not likely worth the effort to repair it.
:>> > >
:>> > >
:>> > >
:>> > > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
:>> > > news:hFzGc.188966$DG4.158736@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
:>> > > > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or
:>will
:>> > not
:>> > > > supply any service information.
:>> > > > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone
:>> know
:>> > > the
:>> > > > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram
:>for
:>> > > > repair?
:>> > > >
:>> > > > Mike in Ohio
:>> > > >
:>> > > >
:>> > >
:>> > >
:>> >
:>> >
:>>
:>>
:>
:>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 9, 2004 1:03:23 AM

Exactly! Good quality used monitors are inexpensive. Why repair a broken one
of lesser quality? ... Ben Myers

!