Gateway 2000 Crystal Scan 500CS Monitor

I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or will not
supply any service information.
I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone know the
equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram for
repair?

Mike in Ohio
13 answers Last reply
More about gateway 2000 crystal scan 500cs monitor

    Depending on the age of the monitor, it may be 1000% easier to simply replace it
    and dispose of it properly... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 15:35:41 GMT, "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

    >I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or will not
    >supply any service information.
    >I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone know the
    >equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram for
    >repair?
    >
    >Mike in Ohio

    Mike;
    The Gateway techs can't give you that information because they do not
    have that information.
    The techs have no need for that information.
    If you really want that information, contact the manufacturer
    directly, perhaps they can cross reference it.

    Considering how old that monitor must be, you have already probably
    spent more time than it is worth.
    A cheap low end monitor would possibly be cheaper than the expense to
    POSSIBLY fix this antique.
    And that does not even account for your time.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or
    will not
    > supply any service information.
    > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone
    know the
    > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram
    for
    > repair?
    >
    > Mike in Ohio

    Both you guys sound just like Gateway. Replace it... don't fix it.
    I notice neither of you addressed my question.

    "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > Mike;
    > The Gateway techs can't give you that information because they do not
    > have that information.
    > The techs have no need for that information.
    > If you really want that information, contact the manufacturer
    > directly, perhaps they can cross reference it.
    >
    > Considering how old that monitor must be, you have already probably
    > spent more time than it is worth.
    > A cheap low end monitor would possibly be cheaper than the expense to
    > POSSIBLY fix this antique.
    > And that does not even account for your time.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or
    > will not
    > > supply any service information.
    > > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone
    > know the
    > > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram
    > for
    > > repair?
    > >
    > > Mike in Ohio

    I do not know the answer, that should be obvious.
    However I did answer your question, I suggested you ask the
    manufacturer.

    You say "Both you guys sound just like Gateway. Replace it... don't
    fix it."
    Perhaps because we feel that is your best option.
    Gateway may have another motive...to make money.
    However I have no such motive.
    Perhaps the question you should ask yourself at this point is "why do
    I always get the same answer"?

    --

    > Both you guys sound just like Gateway. Replace it... don't fix it.
    > I notice neither of you addressed my question.
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > > Mike;
    > > The Gateway techs can't give you that information because they do
    not
    > > have that information.
    > > The techs have no need for that information.
    > > If you really want that information, contact the manufacturer
    > > directly, perhaps they can cross reference it.
    > >
    > > Considering how old that monitor must be, you have already
    probably
    > > spent more time than it is worth.
    > > A cheap low end monitor would possibly be cheaper than the expense
    > > POSSIBLY fix this antique.
    > > And that does not even account for your time.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot
    or
    > > will not
    > > > supply any service information.
    > > > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does
    anyone
    > > know the
    > > > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic
    diagram
    > > for
    > > > repair?
    > > >
    > > > Mike in Ohio

    Well, I, for one, am not speaking for Gateway. I am speaking for myself, and I
    have over 40 years of experience in the computer business. The sad fact is that
    with new monitors costing very little and used monitors in good condition
    costing even less, almost nobody repairs monitors any more.

    The nearest I have come to "repairing" a monitor in the last 2 or 3 years was
    taking apart a lovely Dell 17" flat Trinitron tube monitor, figuring out why the
    on-off switch did not work, and getting it to power on properly again.

    Some companies that do repairs will only handle late model good-quality name
    brands where the repair is worthwhile. They usually draw spare parts from a
    stockpile of like monitors, rather than troubleshooting individual electronic
    components. The voltage inside a monitor is VERY high. Screw up one part of a
    repair and you are in for a shock, or maybe just a troublesome electrical fire.

    Neither LG nor Gateway Crystal Scan fall on the list of monitors with good
    enough quality to justify a repair. Unless you have lots and lots of time on
    your hands, do yourself a favor and dispose of the failed monitor.

    I DO sell monitors, but not via mail order. Too risky to ship a monitor.

    The foregoing does NOT sound like Gateway. gw2k would not have the patience or
    the insight to give you the explanation I just gave... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:23:29 GMT, "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

    >Both you guys sound just like Gateway. Replace it... don't fix it.
    >I notice neither of you addressed my question.
    >
    >"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> Mike;
    >> The Gateway techs can't give you that information because they do not
    >> have that information.
    >> The techs have no need for that information.
    >> If you really want that information, contact the manufacturer
    >> directly, perhaps they can cross reference it.
    >>
    >> Considering how old that monitor must be, you have already probably
    >> spent more time than it is worth.
    >> A cheap low end monitor would possibly be cheaper than the expense to
    >> POSSIBLY fix this antique.
    >> And that does not even account for your time.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >> "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or
    >> will not
    >> > supply any service information.
    >> > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone
    >> know the
    >> > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram
    >> for
    >> > repair?
    >> >
    >> > Mike in Ohio

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    LG is noted for not selling schematics for its own monitors, so it's
    unlikely they'll have one.
    You might try the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup for generic
    troubleshooting issues -- unless the failure is obvious and easy to repair,
    it's not likely worth the effort to repair it.

    "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or will not
    > supply any service information.
    > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone know
    the
    > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram for
    > repair?
    >
    > Mike in Ohio

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I can get the schematic at
    www.monitor-repair.com if I can only find out the model cross reference
    between the Gateway and LG model numbers.
    Yes, it is probably not a practical thing to repair, it is just something I
    want to do.
    Mike

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > LG is noted for not selling schematics for its own monitors, so it's
    > unlikely they'll have one.
    > You might try the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup for generic
    > troubleshooting issues -- unless the failure is obvious and easy to
    repair,
    > it's not likely worth the effort to repair it.
    >

    > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or will
    not
    > > supply any service information.
    > > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone know
    > the
    > > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram for
    > > repair?
    > >
    > > Mike in Ohio

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Out of curiousity, when was this brontosauras manufacturered? What size is
    it?
    Have you completely run out of things to do? ;-) Or does it have
    sentimental value?

    > Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I can get the schematic at
    > www.monitor-repair.com if I can only find out the model cross reference
    > between the Gateway and LG model numbers.
    > Yes, it is probably not a practical thing to repair, it is just something
    > want to do.
    > Mike
    >
    > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > > LG is noted for not selling schematics for its own monitors, so it's
    > > unlikely they'll have one.
    > > You might try the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup for generic
    > > troubleshooting issues -- unless the failure is obvious and easy to
    > repair,
    > > it's not likely worth the effort to repair it.
    > >

    > > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or will
    > not
    > > > supply any service information.
    > > > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone
    know
    > > the
    > > > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram for
    > > > repair?
    > > >
    > > > Mike in Ohio

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    500CS = 15"
    My guess on age >5 years.

    --

    "billy bob" <billybob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Out of curiousity, when was this brontosauras manufacturered? What
    size is
    > it?
    > Have you completely run out of things to do? ;-) Or does it have
    > sentimental value?
    >
    > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I can get the schematic at
    > > www.monitor-repair.com if I can only find out the model cross
    reference
    > > between the Gateway and LG model numbers.
    > > Yes, it is probably not a practical thing to repair, it is just
    something
    > > want to do.
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > > > LG is noted for not selling schematics for its own monitors, so
    it's
    > > > unlikely they'll have one.
    > > > You might try the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup for generic
    > > > troubleshooting issues -- unless the failure is obvious and easy
    > > repair,
    > > > it's not likely worth the effort to repair it.
    > > >

    > > > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > not
    > know
    > > > the

  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Hi BillyBob,
    It was built in 1997. It is a 15" monitor. I guess I like a challenge.
    Mike

    "billy bob" <billybob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Out of curiousity, when was this brontosauras manufacturered? What size
    is
    > it?
    > Have you completely run out of things to do? ;-) Or does it have
    > sentimental value?
    >
    > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I can get the schematic at
    > > www.monitor-repair.com if I can only find out the model cross reference
    > > between the Gateway and LG model numbers.
    > > Yes, it is probably not a practical thing to repair, it is just
    something
    > > want to do.
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > > > LG is noted for not selling schematics for its own monitors, so it's
    > > > unlikely they'll have one.
    > > > You might try the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup for generic
    > > > troubleshooting issues -- unless the failure is obvious and easy to
    > > repair,
    > > > it's not likely worth the effort to repair it.
    > > >

    > > > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > not
    > know
    > > > the

  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Oh, boy! if you are in the vicinity of Harvard or Fitchburg, MA, I can sell you
    a 15" Viewsonic in excellent condition for $25. That is less than you will pay
    for whatever replacement parts needed for the Crystal Scan, once you figure out
    what parts you need, IF you can figure what parts you need, and IF you can even
    find them... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:35:03 GMT, "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

    >Hi BillyBob,
    >It was built in 1997. It is a 15" monitor. I guess I like a challenge.
    >Mike
    >
    >"billy bob" <billybob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Out of curiousity, when was this brontosauras manufacturered? What size
    >is
    >> it?
    >> Have you completely run out of things to do? ;-) Or does it have
    >> sentimental value?
    >>
    >> "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I can get the schematic at
    >> > www.monitor-repair.com if I can only find out the model cross reference
    >> > between the Gateway and LG model numbers.
    >> > Yes, it is probably not a practical thing to repair, it is just
    >something
    >> > want to do.
    >> > Mike
    >> >
    >> > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    >> > repair,

    >will
    >> > not
    >> know
    >for

  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
    : Oh, boy! if you are in the vicinity of Harvard or Fitchburg, MA, I can sell you
    : a 15" Viewsonic in excellent condition for $25. That is less than you will pay
    : for whatever replacement parts needed for the Crystal Scan, once you figure out
    : what parts you need, IF you can figure what parts you need, and IF you can even
    : find them... Ben Myers

    I just sold 2 17" nec yesterday for $25 apiece, nobody was interested when
    they were $50 apiece.

    : On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:35:03 GMT, "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

    :>Hi BillyBob,
    :>It was built in 1997. It is a 15" monitor. I guess I like a challenge.
    :>Mike
    :>
    :>"billy bob" <billybob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    :>news:pIudnU8DXoq1NHHdRVn-jg@comcast.com...
    :>> Out of curiousity, when was this brontosauras manufacturered? What size
    :>is
    :>> it?
    :>> Have you completely run out of things to do? ;-) Or does it have
    :>> sentimental value?
    :>>
    :>> "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    :>> news:lwRGc.980$wX6.327@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
    :>> > Thanks, Ed, for the reply. I can get the schematic at
    :>> > www.monitor-repair.com if I can only find out the model cross reference
    :>> > between the Gateway and LG model numbers.
    :>> > Yes, it is probably not a practical thing to repair, it is just
    :>something
    :>> I
    :>> > want to do.
    :>> > Mike
    :>> >
    :>> > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    :>> > news:BSHGc.654$SI2.622@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...
    :>> > > LG is noted for not selling schematics for its own monitors, so it's
    :>> > > unlikely they'll have one.
    :>> > > You might try the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup for generic
    :>> > > troubleshooting issues -- unless the failure is obvious and easy to
    :>> > repair,
    :>> > > it's not likely worth the effort to repair it.
    :>> > >
    :>> > >
    :>> > >
    :>> > > "Plasma" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    :>> > > news:hFzGc.188966$DG4.158736@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
    :>> > > > I have one of these monitors which has failed. Gateway cannot or
    :>will
    :>> > not
    :>> > > > supply any service information.
    :>> > > > I know the monitor was manufactured by LG electronics. Does anyone
    :>> know
    :>> > > the
    :>> > > > equivalent LG model number so that I may order a schematic diagram
    :>for
    :>> > > > repair?
    :>> > > >
    :>> > > > Mike in Ohio
    :>> > > >
    :>> > > >
    :>> > >
    :>> > >
    :>> >
    :>> >
    :>>
    :>>
    :>
    :>
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Exactly! Good quality used monitors are inexpensive. Why repair a broken one
    of lesser quality? ... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 19:56:42 -0000, kmy@hiwaay.net wrote:

    >ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
    >: Oh, boy! if you are in the vicinity of Harvard or Fitchburg, MA, I can sell you
    >: a 15" Viewsonic in excellent condition for $25. That is less than you will pay
    >: for whatever replacement parts needed for the Crystal Scan, once you figure out
    >: what parts you need, IF you can figure what parts you need, and IF you can even
    >: find them... Ben Myers
    >

    >I just sold 2 17" nec yesterday for $25 apiece, nobody was interested when
    >they were $50 apiece.

Gateway LG Monitors Computers