"Invalid Roaming List"

Last response: in Network Providers
July 7, 2005 7:16:31 AM

Earlier today after turning on my Verizon phone (Nokia 5185i), I got
the "Invalid Roaming List" message, then the phone could not connect
to the network (continued to display "Searching for service"). I last
sent *228 a couple of weeks ago to upgrade roaming as Verizon
recommends. I called the Verizon 800 number and was told to take the
phone to a Verizon store for firmware reload. At two local stores I
was told variously: (1) they no longer have the correct cable to
perform the firmware upgrade, (2) that the phone was discontinued and
they no longer had the software, (3) that the *228 upgrade didn’t work
with this phone starting about a week ago. I did a Google search on
"Invalid Roaming List" and found that this same situation has happened
to a number of people who were told similar things by Verizon people.
It almost seems like certain phones are being disabled purposely by
Verizon and we're being forced to get new phones. Has anyone else had
similar experiences or know what may be going on? I know my 5185i is
an older phone but it does the job quite well for me.

Joe K.

More about : invalid roaming list

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:16:32 AM

Joe K wrote:
> Earlier today after turning on my Verizon phone (Nokia
> 5185i), I got the "Invalid Roaming List" message, then
> the phone could not connect to the network (continued to
> display "Searching for service"). I last sent *228 a
> couple of weeks ago to upgrade roaming as Verizon
> recommends. I called the Verizon 800 number and was told
> to take the phone to a Verizon store for firmware reload.
> At two local stores I was told variously: (1) they no
> longer have the correct cable to perform the firmware
> upgrade, (2) that the phone was discontinued and they no
> longer had the software, (3) that the *228 upgrade didn’t
> work with this phone starting about a week ago. I did a
> Google search on "Invalid Roaming List" and found that
> this same situation has happened to a number of people
> who were told similar things by Verizon people. It almost
> seems like certain phones are being disabled purposely by
> Verizon and we're being forced to get new phones. Has
> anyone else had similar experiences or know what may be
> going on? I know my 5185i is an older phone but it does
> the job quite well for me.

No idea. I'd call *611 and relate your experience. I would
expect that if your phone no longer works with the network
that they would offer you a new one comparable or better.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 12:36:36 PM

The exact same scenario played out for me on my Nokia 3285. I figured
it was an isolated incident. As you related, the store stated that the
store couldn't perform a firmware upgrage.

This is quite a pain, since this phone worked very well with my 91H car
kit.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 7, 2005 12:37:02 PM

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:37:50 -0700, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Joe K wrote:
>> Earlier today after turning on my Verizon phone (Nokia
>> 5185i), I got the "Invalid Roaming List" message, then
>> the phone could not connect to the network (continued to
>> display "Searching for service"). I last sent *228 a
>> couple of weeks ago to upgrade roaming as Verizon
>> recommends. I called the Verizon 800 number and was told
>> to take the phone to a Verizon store for firmware reload.
>> At two local stores I was told variously: (1) they no
>> longer have the correct cable to perform the firmware
>> upgrade, (2) that the phone was discontinued and they no
>> longer had the software, (3) that the *228 upgrade didn’t
>> work with this phone starting about a week ago. I did a
>> Google search on "Invalid Roaming List" and found that
>> this same situation has happened to a number of people
>> who were told similar things by Verizon people. It almost
>> seems like certain phones are being disabled purposely by
>> Verizon and we're being forced to get new phones. Has
>> anyone else had similar experiences or know what may be
>> going on? I know my 5185i is an older phone but it does
>> the job quite well for me.
>
>No idea. I'd call *611 and relate your experience. I would
>expect that if your phone no longer works with the network
>that they would offer you a new one comparable or better.

Dontcha think it's just a *little* bit difficult to call *611 from
your handset if you can't get to the network?!
- -
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 1:34:15 PM

Joseph wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:37:50 -0700, "Quick"
>>
>> No idea. I'd call *611 and relate your experience. I
>> would expect that if your phone no longer works with the
>> network that they would offer you a new one comparable
>> or better.
>
> Dontcha think it's just a *little* bit difficult to call
> *611 from your handset if you can't get to the network?!

Well... good point. I should have written "CS". Hopefully
he will figure out that they have a land line number too.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 9:19:41 PM

It can be done but with some persistence. I have a Nokia 6015i and I had to
contact 10 stores before I found one that was able to flash my phone. Some
said that they didn't have the cable or the cable was shot or they did not
have the software, etc.

David R. Goyer

"617 Phones" <617@volcanomail.com> wrote in message
> The exact same scenario played out for me on my Nokia 3285. I figured
> it was an isolated incident. As you related, the store stated that the
> store couldn't perform a firmware upgrage.
>
> This is quite a pain, since this phone worked very well with my 91H car
> kit.

July 7, 2005 9:20:51 PM

Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Dontcha think it's just a *little* bit difficult to call *611 from
> your handset if you can't get to the network?!
> - -

There we go....needing that 99 cent AMPS bagphone from the thrift shop to
call 611, seamlessly, again...(c; It'll call 611 any ol' time YOU want!
Everyone should have one, you know...

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844
Email: help@continentalwarranty.com
Read about them here:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp?id=92243&view=prin...
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:44:21 PM

After reading your post, I fired up my backup 5185i and did a OTA
update. Power reset the phone and she came up with 50292, which is
proper for a non-eri, AC1 PRL Possible that your phone just gave up.
Power off and remove the battery. Reinstall and if you get the same
result, you should probably look for a replacement on EBay. Very cheap
and you could move up to a 3285 or 6385(if you really want a Verizon
run around), both work in your H91 carkit.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:52:47 AM

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 03:16:31 GMT, joesk@ix.netcom.com (Joe K) wrote:

>Earlier today after turning on my Verizon phone (Nokia 5185i), I got
>the "Invalid Roaming List" message, then the phone could not connect
>to the network (continued to display "Searching for service"). I last
>sent *228 a couple of weeks ago to upgrade roaming as Verizon
>recommends. I called the Verizon 800 number and was told to take the
>phone to a Verizon store for firmware reload. At two local stores I
>was told variously: (1) they no longer have the correct cable to
>perform the firmware upgrade, (2) that the phone was discontinued and
>they no longer had the software, (3) that the *228 upgrade didn’t work
>with this phone starting about a week ago. I did a Google search on
>"Invalid Roaming List" and found that this same situation has happened
>to a number of people who were told similar things by Verizon people.
>It almost seems like certain phones are being disabled purposely by
>Verizon and we're being forced to get new phones. Has anyone else had
>similar experiences or know what may be going on? I know my 5185i is
>an older phone but it does the job quite well for me.
>
>Joe K.

Just a followup to my original post.

I finally visited a third Verizon store where a very savy gal in the
Tech section reloaded the firmware/software for my 5185i phone and it
seems to be working fine now. She suggested not using the *228 update
but rather bringing the phone in to the store for roaming list
updates. So far, so good!

Joe K.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:16:38 AM

"Joe K" <joesk@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 03:16:31 GMT, joesk@ix.netcom.com (Joe K) wrote:
>
>>Earlier today after turning on my Verizon phone (Nokia 5185i), I got
>>the "Invalid Roaming List" message, then the phone could not connect
>>to the network (continued to display "Searching for service"). I last
>>sent *228 a couple of weeks ago to upgrade roaming as Verizon
>>recommends. I called the Verizon 800 number and was told to take the
>>phone to a Verizon store for firmware reload. At two local stores I
>>was told variously: (1) they no longer have the correct cable to
>>perform the firmware upgrade, (2) that the phone was discontinued and
>>they no longer had the software, (3) that the *228 upgrade didn't work
>>with this phone starting about a week ago. I did a Google search on
>>"Invalid Roaming List" and found that this same situation has happened
>>to a number of people who were told similar things by Verizon people.
>>It almost seems like certain phones are being disabled purposely by
>>Verizon and we're being forced to get new phones. Has anyone else had
>>similar experiences or know what may be going on? I know my 5185i is
>>an older phone but it does the job quite well for me.
>>
>>Joe K.
>>

> Just a followup to my original post.
>
> I finally visited a third Verizon store where a very savy gal in the
> Tech section reloaded the firmware/software for my 5185i phone and it
> seems to be working fine now. She suggested not using the *228 update
> but rather bringing the phone in to the store for roaming list
> updates. So far, so good!
>
> Joe K.

I have another answer for you. I have heard that due to the expanded size
of the AC II PRL list.....get ready....some of the older Nokia's don't have
enough memory to properly store the list. When you first do a *228 it
dosen't do a full load....later when your phone is not in use, and the
system is not overloaded, you get the full list pushed to you. I know I
know VZW does not push PRL's on you.....unless you live in the Midwest (I
hear) and have done a PRICE PLAN CHANGE. This is new and was designed to
"make sure" your roam light is working properly. Think of this...former
plan Single Rate,,, new plan ACII...PRL list lets you use more towers then
new ACII does....you get roaming...call VZW CS Bitch up a storm....charges
go away...

Just a thought

We need someone to test....if there is anyone out there going to change to a
new ACII plan....do your price plan change and DO NOT do a *228 for a few
days....check it each day...I have a nasty feeling, you are going to get a
surpise...As far as I know, this only applys to the MIDWEST....but you never
know.

ShackAttack
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:46:00 AM

Update.

Went to VZW today to take back the less than desireable LG flip phones
and reactivate the one functioning 5185i.

At first got some resistance since they would not activate a non GPS
phone. Pitched a ***** about it and got them to activate the 5185i but
they went through their Customer Care center to do it.

Talked to the tech and tried to ressurect the 5185i that went south.
He wasn't able to and did not even have the software to program the
phone since they pulled the software for phones they no longer support.
His recommendation for a replacement was the Motorola V265 which I did
get and so far seems to work as well as the 5185i at home.

--
pav245
July 19, 2005 6:34:50 PM

Well, I have an idea. I eventually got the “Invalid Roaming List”
message from performing the SECRET CODE!!! *228. Went to a local
Verizon store that I called advance to verify they could perform the
FirmWare Upgrade, or whatever it’s called. When I got there, the tech
implied that my phone (Nokia 3285 that I got for free from a friend,
and it worked for about 2 weeks) could’nt connect to the network to
perform the upgrade, basically said my phone was the problem. So, here
I am, with a phone that wont work. I was forced to use the phone that
I replaced when I got the Nokia phone (motorola V60, still works,
except for the broken antennae that I have replaced with a
paperclip…Still get full reception!!!!) So, what are my options.

I went to Verizonwireless.com and sent a message to the customer
service group. I performed a print screen of the email I sent, and
saved it along with the reply I recieved. In my email, I noted to
verizon of my discussion with the store service tech. I also stated
that I plan to send the phone to a Nokia (not verizon linked nokia)
store or service center to get a detailed analysis on the status of the
phone. The consultant replied that I should go through with the phone
verification, it should be possible at no cost to me. This situation
is a responsibility of verizon not it’s customers. If they want to
update their system, they can either fix the phone I have or give me a
new one. This problem affects way too many people to be a legal
decision. So, we shall see what happens.

To make a change like this is absured. For example, if there were gas
stations that sold cars, and the gas co. decided to change the gas, the
older cars would have to be replaced (Not that any gas stations work
this way, but to see the situation at a different angle, shows the big
picture, even though its not way too much to buy a phone, ulike a car,
this action has to break some laws.) There are organizations that
prevent companies from performing acts like this, Better Business
Bureau, FCC, etc.. If our system can suggest that its way is right, and
knows what is best for the people, then these Gov. Agencies better step
in. Otherwise, you better get ready to buy a new car too. In my
opinion, you should be able to drop your service. It’s a breech of
contract if the service provider can’t provide a service due to one of
their own changes. Changes like this, that affect soo many, have to be
approved by large organizations, Im not sure which, maybe the FCC. They
can’t force you into this situation. I certainly havn’t seen anything
like this in the news, but I heard some guy invented a better box
cutter, go figure.

Anyone who thinks similarly should say so, or if you have any ideas on
how I can make this work more efficiently, tell me.

Thanks,

Ryan

--
tazlea
July 19, 2005 8:26:22 PM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:34:50 -0500, tazlea
<tazlea.1sfmky@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>To make a change like this is absured. For example, if there were gas
>stations that sold cars, and the gas co. decided to change the gas, the
>older cars would have to be replaced (Not that any gas stations work
>this way, but to see the situation at a different angle, shows the big
>picture, even though its not way too much to buy a phone, ulike a car,
>this action has to break some laws.) There are organizations that
>prevent companies from performing acts like this, Better Business
>Bureau, FCC, etc.. If our system can suggest that its way is right, and
>knows what is best for the people, then these Gov. Agencies better step
>in. Otherwise, you better get ready to buy a new car too. In my
>opinion, you should be able to drop your service. It’s a breech of
>contract if the service provider can’t provide a service due to one of
>their own changes. Changes like this, that affect soo many, have to be
>approved by large organizations, Im not sure which, maybe the FCC. They
>can’t force you into this situation. I certainly havn’t seen anything
>like this in the news, but I heard some guy invented a better box
>cutter, go figure.

Just think. In 2008, all of our analog TVs will be obsolete. That's
even worse than just one model of phone being obsolete.

Dave
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:27:04 AM

tazlea wrote:

> (Nokia 3285 that I got for free from a friend,
> and it worked for about 2 weeks)

Where did you friend get it from?

> basically said my phone was the problem.

No insurance...

> So, here I am, with a phone that
> wont work. I was forced to use the phone that I replaced
> when I got the Nokia phone (motorola V60, still works,
> except for the broken antennae that I have replaced with
> a paperclip…Still get full reception!!!!) So, what are my
> options.

Ask them to reimburse you what you paid for the phone.

> I also stated that I plan to send the phone to a Nokia

The jig is up. The black helicopters will be grounded soon.

> (not verizon linked nokia)

ummm, Nokia probably has interoffice mail...

> store or service center to get a detailed
> analysis on the status of the phone.

You should take it to their national phone forensic
center in Atlanta. You should go in person and not
let the phone leave your sight -- see "interoffice mail"
above.

> The consultant replied that I should go through
> with the phone verification, it should be possible
> at no cost to me.

This was the *VZW* consultant replying to your email?
Speaking to what should be possible at the "(non verizon
linked nokia)"? I'm sure you made his day. In fact, the
entire call center was probably in stitches.

> This situation is a responsibility of verizon not it’s
> customers.

Oh, that's what he must have meant. They will reimburse
you for the phone forensic analysis.

> If they want to update their system, they can
> either fix the phone I have or give me a new one.

I'm sure they won't have a problem reimbursing you
what you paid.

> This problem affects way too many people to be a legal
> decision.

Really? How many? and what percentage is that of the whole?

> So, we shall see what happens.

I doubt it, but I am really looking forward to your next post.

> To make a change like this is absured. For example, if
> there were gas stations that sold cars, and the gas co.
> decided to change the gas, the older cars would have to
> be replaced (Not that any gas stations work this way, but
> to see the situation at a different angle, shows the big
> picture, even though its not way too much to buy a phone,
> ulike a car, this action has to break some laws.)

I see. You could be right. Even though VZW shows
phone sales as an expense they are probably secretly
(and illegally) making a bundle.

> There are organizations that prevent companies from
> performing acts like this, Better Business Bureau, FCC,
> etc..

This sounds a lot more serious. We should probably call
in SG-1 (or Larry).

> If our system can suggest that its way is right, and
> knows what is best for the people, then these Gov.
> Agencies better step in. Otherwise, you better get
> ready to buy a new car too.

You're right. I hadn't thought about it before but I'm
starting to see where the entire American Way is being
undermined here.

> In my opinion, you should be able to drop your
> service. It’s a breech of contract if the service
> provider can’t provide a service due to one of their own
> changes. Changes like this, that affect soo many, have to
> be approved by large organizations, Im not sure which,
> maybe the FCC. They can’t force you into this situation.
> I certainly havn’t seen anything like this in the news,
> but I heard some guy invented a better box cutter, go
> figure.

whoops... rewind it a bit... "In my opinion, you sould be able
to drop your service." <- where did this come in? Was this
it? Don't drop your service. SG-1 won't be deployed unless
you currently have service. You can only get the free phone
forensic analysis if you currently have service.

> Anyone who thinks similarly should say so, or if you have
> any ideas on how I can make this work more efficiently,
> tell me.

Contact Dr. News on this very same group. He already has
an Attorney General signed up...

-Quick
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 8:09:40 PM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:26:22 -0400, Diamond Dave
<dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:34:50 -0500, tazlea
><tazlea.1sfmky@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>

>>To make a change like this is absured. For example, if there were gas
>>stations that sold cars, and the gas co. decided to change the gas, the
>>older cars would have to be replaced (Not that any gas stations work
>>this way, but to see the situation at a different angle, shows the big
>>picture, even though its not way too much to buy a phone, ulike a car,
>>this action has to break some laws.) There are organizations that
>>prevent companies from performing acts like this, Better Business
>>Bureau, FCC, etc.. If our system can suggest that its way is right, and
>>knows what is best for the people, then these Gov. Agencies better step
>>in. Otherwise, you better get ready to buy a new car too. In my
>>opinion, you should be able to drop your service. It’s a breech of
>>contract if the service provider can’t provide a service due to one of
>>their own changes. Changes like this, that affect soo many, have to be
>>approved by large organizations, Im not sure which, maybe the FCC. They
>>can’t force you into this situation. I certainly havn’t seen anything
>>like this in the news, but I heard some guy invented a better box
>>cutter, go figure.
>
>Just think. In 2008, all of our analog TVs will be obsolete. That's
>even worse than just one model of phone being obsolete.
>
>Dave

Yes they will. However, there's been ample advance warning of the
impending changes. It's not not like you turned your TV on one day and
found out that it no longer worked because someone changed the
technology with no warning.

Joe K.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:25:03 PM

"tazlea" <tazlea.1sfmky@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
> Went to a local
> Verizon store that I called advance to verify they could perform the
> FirmWare Upgrade, or whatever it's called. When I got there, the tech
> implied that my phone (Nokia 3285 that I got for free from a friend,
> and it worked for about 2 weeks) could'nt connect to the network to
> perform the upgrade, basically said my phone was the problem. So, here
> I am, with a phone that wont work.

Why is that Verizon's problem? They did not sell you the phone and are,
consequently, under no obligation to make it work on their network. Their
obligation, at best, would be to modify or replace equipment they sold to
you during the course of the contract (12 or 24 months) under which it was
sold.

> To make a change like this is absured. For example, if there were gas
> stations that sold cars, and the gas co. decided to change the gas, the
> older cars would have to be replaced

Poor example. This is, in fact, exactly what happened when the change was
made from leaded gasoline to unleaded gasoline.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:50:40 PM

Diamond Dave wrote:
> Just think. In 2008, all of our analog TVs will be obsolete. That's
> even worse than just one model of phone being obsolete.

Don't count on cable TV systems to go digital-only for many, many decades.

July 23, 2005 6:34:15 PM

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 03:16:31 GMT, joesk@ix.netcom.com (Joe K) wrote:
>Earlier today after turning on my Verizon phone (Nokia 5185i), I got
>the "Invalid Roaming List" message, then the phone could not connect
>to the network (continued to display "Searching for service").
>[snip]

It seems to me that the memory in your phone is failing.
Time for a new phone, if it's no longer under warranty.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."