BFG 6600GT core clock 299mhz! (?)

ian75

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
ok, So I just did a major overhaul on my pc.
new m/b, cpu, ram, vid-card & psu

AMD Athlon64 3500+ (Venice)
MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum SLI
1 gb Kingston HyperX pc3200 (512x2)
BFG Geforce 6600GT PCI-E 128mb oc
Enermax 535 Watt SLI ready PSU

I've updated to the most recent Nvidia drivers & chipset drivers, also updated to most recent BIOS release.

Now my problem:
I ran 3DMark05 & scored 3868 (nothing running in background), which seems pretty low.
So I looked into the System Details in 3dmark & under the graphics card section it says my VGA Core Clock is at 299.3 MHz.
But according to the cards specs it should be at 525MHz (oc'ed by BFG) by default.
I haven't done any oc'ing to anything & don't plan to (not for now anyways), but I want to get the most out of my system w/out oc'ing. Anybody know why my core clock on my vid card would be so low or how I can get it to where it's supposed to be? Is there any other way to check the clock rate within Windows or something to make sure 3DMark05 is reading that correctly?
Another dissapointment with the new hardware is that it loads web pages super slow, much slower than my old system.
I cant really figure out which setting the switch on the back of the psu should be set to, it has 2 settings, 115 or 230. Right now it's on 115. If I flip that & reboot is there a chance I'm gonna fry something?
Any help is very much appreciated.
I really want my system to run at it's full potential.
Thank you.
Ian

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
You're looking at 2d speeds, it'll turn itself to its 3d speeds when you do anything 3d. If you want to know your speeds, download coolbits, and it'll tell you your card's 2d and 3d clocks.

ian75

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
Well, I'm still having issues with my internet. Web pages load pretty dang slow. I updated the chipset drivers & updated the BIOS. Anybody have any suggestions? Maybe some settings I don't know about that need to be changed after a fresh windows install?
Thanks.
oh yeah, I am on Comcast cable internet & DSL reports says my connection is very good/fast & there aren't any ISP problems in my area.

ian75

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
Thanks, I'm runnin WinXP SP2 with no router, straight connection to my onboard LAN. It's the MSI K8N Neo4 plat/SLI, nvidia Nforce4.
I've updated the chipset drivers.
Also, it's the same cable modem that's been working perfectly fine.
I'm really havin trouble tryin to figure out what it could be since, not only is it pretty much a whole new system, but it's also my 1st time using SP2. I'm thinking of reinstalling windows w/out SP2 & seein if it's anything to do with that. But I really have no idea how that could effect it :S

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
2 things you should do first,

1. Start-Control Panel-Network Connections-Local Area Connection-Properties-Advanced

Disable the XP firewall there

2. Start-Control Panel-Administrative tools-Services

Stop and disable both messenger and Security Center.

wadeal

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2005
Yeah dude dont know if anyone said this but my card was running like that as well, I had to unlock the overclocking panel and set the card to 3D mode and it runs at 500mhz. To unlock overclocking search google or something for instructions.

Pentium 4 2.8 @ 3.2 + ASUS P4P800 + 512mb DDR400 Ram at 230mhz + XpertVision 6600GT 560mhz core and 1.11ghz ram = 8500 on 3DMark 2003.

ian75

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
Cool, thanks guys. I already had the xp firewall disabled, but went ahead & disabled the security center altogether & the messenger thing too. Now just using good ol' ZA.
Is there really even much point to using SP2 if I'm not even gonna use the security features? lol.

Also, about the core clock speed, I downloaded coolbits & it unlocked that for me ;) Now I can utilize the 3d speed. Very weird that they would list it as 525mhz (or even 500mhz as nvidia uses for stock), but yet if you just take it out of the box & install it, not only does it not run at that speed, but doesn't even come with tools to get it there, lol. I even double checked it playing a game in a small window while looking at the clock speed in the nvidia nview settings & it stays at 300 if you don't manually change that over to "auto-oc" or manual oc :S
Anyways, thanks again.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
The card has 2 set speeds, 300mhz in 2D and 525mhz in 3d, 525mhz because BFG changed the bios. The card out of the box will run at those preset speeds, you just don't know it.

ian75

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
oh really? how come it shows that it's running at the 2d speed even if i'm playing a game? also, when i run 3dmark05 it only shows 2d speed when i look into the "details" for my system.
I believe you, I just don't get it, lol. :S
I don't need to check the box for "auto overclocking"?

G

Also disabling QOS in TCP settings will help somewhat for your internet speed!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

ian75

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
ok cool, thanks guys.
I ended up just reformatting, it turned out SP2 was causing my issues & tried everything I could to fix it, but good ol' SP1 is treating me very well.
So I'll just leave my vid card clock speeds the way they come by default.
About the TCP settings, sorry, I don't know what that is. :$