Sign in with
Your question

OC with DIY CPU HSF or VGA cooler?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 10, 2005 5:09:57 PM

I have a ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, and I have the stock cooler. I have been able to overclock from default 378/338 to 405/360 for higher core or 390/381 for higher mem with stock. I would like to up the game and get a cooler, that would kick ass, like absolutely rape diddly (non water or liquid nitrogen, just air). Whats the best cooler for it? What i have in mind now is the Arctic Cooler VGA Silencer, Rev.3 but i don't know if its the best, or how much i can oc it by. Only just recently, i read up about the DIY cooler from spare CPU HSFs. Haha i got to admit its a pretty smart idea, considering ppl upgrade CPU coolers all the time. Are CPUs much hotter than GPUs? If so, then the CPU HSF should prove to be kickass for a GPU cooler because of all the raw power. SO i was just considering whats the performance difference in using a DIY CPU HSF and lets say a good VGA air cooler?
Comments, suggestions?

More about : diy cpu hsf vga cooler

July 10, 2005 5:12:20 PM

Oh and another thing, does this mean this opens up the ability to have kickass modded CPU HSFs on the VGAs? Such as the Thermalright XP-120, is said to be the best CPU Cooler for air. Can we stick that on one of our cards? =) Excited!
July 10, 2005 5:12:47 PM

Buy a Thermaltake Volcano 10, it's very light so it wouldn't snap your card, drill a couple holes self tapping screw mount will do the job well.
Related resources
July 10, 2005 6:20:42 PM

so weight really plays apart in it? You sure you cant go any bigger than the volcano 10? Is it that much better than an Ati Silencer 1 (Rev 2.), having a CPU Cooler? Out fo curiosity why do you say the volcano 10? Is it because its impeccably light or because it might fit well with a 9800 pro. Do we have to take into account the size or the shape of the heatsink base? Can i get any better than volcano 10? =)
July 10, 2005 6:31:50 PM

Well that's the heasink i had on my old 9800pro, it's nice and small so it's a nice fit, and with a heatsink any heavier you may very well snap the card.
July 12, 2005 8:47:14 AM

thanks bud.
July 16, 2005 8:15:17 PM

Or all of the pci slots on a micro-ATX board.

Yeah you're cheap, so you used a stock AMD, the thermaltake volcano 10 will kick your heatsink's ass:D 
August 16, 2005 5:09:19 PM

The VGA Silencer will do the trick. I ran my 9800pro, flashed it with the XT bios, OCed it to 470/795, and ran that for almost a year just fine. I even got it over to 503 on the core with the VGA silencer.

A CPU refernce cooler will also do the trick, just requires modding it and the core het will not be vented out of the case. I've done this with a Ti4600 and that was 2 years ago.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
!